Unable to Get the Gates to Lock/Unlock in Real Time

My 5-person group plays vs AI only and we typically wall up until our ‘turtle’ players are ready to roll out of the gate (pun). Unfortunately, in DE we can’t seem to get our gates to close and lock, despite having done this hundreds of times in the 2013 edition. Is there something that has changed with gate locking/unlocking in DE? I recall that gates weren’t going to be in DE but here they are, only me and my partners can’t them to close and lock to prevent the AI from streaming in. Are we doing something wrong or is there a new way to close/lock and open/unlock the gates? Please let us know. Thanks. TLE : )

3 Likes

I can lock/unlock stone gate using lock/unlock button without problems in last Wallace scenario.

1 Like

I would think that the code for the scenario and the AI matches is the same; however, all five of us in my group still can’t lock the gates in real time. The gates seem to lock a few minutes after we give the command, but not in time to prevent the AI from walking unmolested through the open gate.

1 Like

Allow me to restate the problem. I built a gate . . the gate was in the ‘closed’ position and I locked it. Later, I sent a cleric through the gate to retrieve a relic. I unlocked the gate, the cleric walked through and back again (with the relic), but the gate would NOT close after the cleric had walked through it. I could lock the gate, but only in the ‘open’ position. I did not have any friendly units nearby and there were no enemy units holding the gate open. The gate refused to close. Needless to say, the AI walked through my open gate and overran my TC. What am I doing wrong (NOTE: been play AoE since the 90s and NEVER had such an issue before). Please advise. Thanks. : )

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I play with a group and we play against AIs. I’ve played games where my gates never actually close once they are built. Even if I lock the gate it still doesn’t come down which is annoying because the AIs then just walk right through your fortifications. Did you get any response from anyone regarding this issue?

1 Like

No responses yet, but it’s good to know it’s not just us. I got a screen capture last night and intend to submit a formal bug report this weekend. I’ll keep you posted. THANKS for the validation. : )

1 Like

DE Game Version:

• Build (Multiplayer vs AI Only)
  • Platform (Steam or Microsoft Store) Steam

Issue: We build gates. Sometimes the gates are built in an ‘open’ position and won’t close. Other times, the gates open to let friendly units through, then don’t close again. Locking/unlocking has no effect and a gate can be locked in the ‘open’ position. This doesn’t happen in all instances, but my group (4-5 players) typically builds 6 - 10 gates in a match (vs AI only) and we usually experience this 1 - 3 times per match. These open gates will sometime close later in the game after a friendly unit moves through the gate. Otherwise, we have to delete and rebuild these open gates or wall them off to prevent the AI from moving through our open gate. We do NOT have a friendly unit blocking the gate open!

Reproduction Steps:

1. Play some games versus the AI (most of our games have at least one HD AI) and see if it occurs.

(ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)

1 Like

More of the same.

1 Like

Had the same problem too.

Put gate in a spot then lay the wall over that gate and you can have it too.

1 Like

It happens to the AI, too. AI Open Gate

1 Like

I am also experiencing this issue and it makes using walls nearly pointless.
Not much reason to build them if the enemy can waltz straight into your base like they own the place.

2 Likes

Agreed. We are mostly playing the 2013 version until a patch fixes this issue. My group can easily beat the AI on M

oderate, but we needs walls to hold off the AI’s initial rush when set to Hard.

1 Like

Game Version:

• Build (34699)
  • Platform (Steam)

Issue:

All gates this game had this problem. Both my team and enemy team. Also enemies could walk through solid stone walls but that’s known.

Replay fails at the start so can’t post it.

2 Likes

just go back to the old patch, this is unplayable…

This is still an issue after the latest update. Just about all of the gates I build stay open. Makes having walls pointless. This should be a priority issue to fix.

1 Like

Hi, I have a problem with aoeII definitive edition. If i set the game in rapid or slow mode all gates will remaining open! for me but for my enemies too

thank you

1 Like

Game Version: 101.101.36202.0

• Build: 4819260
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: Lobster Emperor?

Issue:

Gates occasionally will refuse to lower themselves during a game. Their animation will not only remain open, but they can be walked through by enemy units like an ordinary gate. I’m guessing this appears to happen because of lag, since the game this was in was quite laggy.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. Build Gates
  2. Open them by bringing units in.
  3. Watch them refuse to shut and enemies be able to pass through them.

ATTACHMENTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5VUV8JEso

2 Likes

Thanks for the vid, this is super frustrating. I thought I was doing something wrong, but it looks like this is a known bug with DE. It almost makes walls unusable, especially when an gate stuck open costs you the game…

1 Like

Game Version: AOE2 definitive edition

• Build: Dell xps 15 inch
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: LocoAcosta 86

Issue

Gates do not close, they stay stuck open and all enemy units get through. Have tried everything and nothing works and happens in most games. This didn’t happen in other game versions. There is no sense of building walls and gets if they stay open! please fix!

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. (List the steps we can take to reproduce the bug ourselves…)

ATTACHMENTS:

:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)
:heavy_check_mark: (BONUS: ATTACH A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM HAPPENING)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH YOUR DXDIAG IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING A TECHNICAL ISSUE)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH ANY CRASH/GAME LOGS [IF RELEVANT])

1 Like

Same here my gates in black forest always stay open and same for my friends when playing against AI’s.