Unique Units? Too much to ask?

I understand this is too much to ask on a number of levels… but is there any plan for UU’s or UT’s? Probably not, but that would be so freaking cool.

7 Likes

I agree, at least one unique unit per civilization like Age of Empires II would be awesome. The unique units could be trained from the Academy building.

6 Likes

I remember I had plans to attempt a conversion mod of sorts for AOE2, importing AOE civs. I came up with possible UU’s and UT’s for each civ. It would have been fun to see what the devs (and other fans) came up with!

1 Like

This would definitely add more reason to choose to play as one civ over another, which I personally want.

2 Likes

I think it will be a good idea to have unique units or special units for each civilisation to be added as a feature in Age of Empires Definitive Edition and also all future AOE games. If Microsoft puts some work in researching each ancient civilisation, we could have at least one unique unit for each.

Also, I think that the social, economic, military, and cultural directions that each civilisation progresses towards should have choices or categories of direction like in the Civilisation Games. For example Mercantilism or Guild System could be a choice in the Middle Ages. As AOE1 is covering ancient civilisations, we could have two separate choices/ paths of follow for each era and options in the tech tree to follow other types of systems [political, economic, social, military].

2 Likes

This is starting to look like AoM.

1 Like

The Devs have already stated that they “are not expanding on the existing game, so no unique units or new buildings or new civs.”

1 Like

not expanding or not yet expanding? B)

3 Likes

There is a possibility of new units and civs being added in later DLC, but not for the initial release.

@DemonlPravda said:
not expanding or not yet expanding? B)

Probably not yet, I do expect an expansion being released in the future.
Special units to core civs though I dont see happening.

I think it will be a good idea to have unique units or special units for each civilization to be added as a feature in Age of Empires Definitive Edition and also all future AOE games. If Microsoft puts some work in researching each ancient civilization, we could have at least one unique unit for each.

Also, I think that the social, economic, military, and cultural directions that each civilization progresses towards should have choices or categories of direction like in the Civilization Games. For example Mercantilism or Guild System could be a choice in the Middle Ages. As AOE1 is covering ancient civilisations, we could have two separate choices/ paths of follow for each era and options in the tech tree to follow other types of systems [political, economic, social, military].

For example?
Do you mean like immortals for Persia, Spartan King’s Guard for Greece? Maybe someone gets an oracle or magician like Egypt ? Rome maybe gets a chariot patrol?
Are you sure that these unique things aren’t reflected in the uniquely attributed stats?
Don’t forget that this requires new art, animation, sound and balancing.
Would it not be a better use of time to design a unique art set for each civ’s current buildings and units or add a a couple more civs like Gauls and Kushyan?
if you could only have 1 of these things would you choose the unique units?

@LovelyPenny3039 said:
I think it will be a good idea to have unique units or special units for each civilization to be added as a feature in Age of Empires Definitive Edition and also all future AOE games. If Microsoft puts some work in researching each ancient civilization, we could have at least one unique unit for each.

Technologies have huge impact on units.
Slinger:
Health: 25
attack damage: 2+3
armor: 0
pierce armor: 2+3
range: 4+2

If you can get all of the upgrades (Only Minoan and Greek) then they are far more useful than if missing one or two technologies.

Same goes for many other units. And when added civ own bonus you get to very close of an special unit.

Macedonia gains +2 pierce armor for all Academy units and can get the max 3 pierce armor from storage pit.
4/5 archer can get max 6 damage. Makes those 160 health centurions extremely durable. Only siege weapons and elephants can deal with them effectively, but with any other civ (max 3 pierce armor) those ranged units can deal three times more damage to centurions.

Also, I think that the social, economic, military, and cultural directions that each civilization progresses towards should have choices or categories of direction like in the Civilization Games. For example Mercantilism or Guild System could be a choice in the Middle Ages. As AOE1 is covering ancient civilisations, we could have two separate choices/ paths of follow for each era and options in the tech tree to follow other types of systems [political, economic, social, military].

This won’t fit in. You need to revamp whole balance in every part to make this good. And why not just play civilization games?

Ya they tried something like that in AOE3 and it was a flop imho. You use to have to revolt to get Gatling guns but then a patch came out that fixed it if I remember correctly. AOE is a macroscopic game that doesn’t interrupt immersion with dialogue boxes and such. Let’s keep it that way.

You mean 0 A.D?

Some examples of unique units for each civilization:

Assyrians

Battering ram (a siege machine that would wreck buildings, towers and walls much more easily than catapults):

Babylonians

Caravan (trades gold with enemy town centers):

Carthaginians

Mercenary (basically a cavalry unit with double the range than the cataphract):

Choson

Shield soldier:

Egyptians

Khopesh soldier:

Greeks

Spartan hoplite:

Hittites

Macedonians

Hypaspistai:

Minoans

Palmyrans

Timurid archer:

Persians

Immortal:

Phoenicians

Bireme (this would serve as a transport, as well as a trade ship):

Romans

Legionary:

Shang

Sumerians

Yamato

4 Likes

I suppose unique units would come from Academy?

1 Like

And what do Persians do then? Do they also have an academy then?

It seems to me that larger civs such as Romans, Egyptians and Greeks deserve even two UU.

2 Likes

In my opinion, there should be separate Units for Hellenic civilizations (e.g. Romans and Greeks) and separate Units for Middle Eastern civilizations (e.g. Egyptians and Assyrians). These two groups of Units would be broken down like this:

1. “Hellenic Units” - Greek style and Roman style
  2. “Middle Eastern Units” - Egyptian style and Babylonian style
  3. A separate group would be “East Asian Units” - East Asian style

Individuals in these groups would be different from the opposite. They would be adjusted to correspond visually and historically to the styles of aarchitecture they would represent.

Of course, these are suggestions only for the civs already present in the game. I think there could be completely new architectural styles (i.e. completely new civs) that would also receive their groups of Units e.g. Barbarian Units - two new architectures (the first for the “old” barbarians - Dacians, Iberians, Gauls, Illyrians and Celts; the second for the “new” barbarians - Germanians, Goths, Huns, Slavs and Scythians).

3 Likes