Upscaled & Zoomed ! That is awesome

I think some people REALLY need to check their facts on AAA Graphics in an Age style RTS Game.
Of course models look weird with THAT zoom. Noone can even easily play with the some they showed the trailer - and this is a LOT more zoomed in… Still, the graphics looks decent, meaning they will look GREAT from a normal perspective in the game.

It seems few people get what being more detailed or more “AAA Graphics” would mean for an RTS where the unit count is seldom below 100 in a match. Each little detail in the model needs to be processed aswell.
IF they were to make the riders for example even more detailed, the game would need a LOT more load if lets say a crazy viper creates 200 of them.
Even if you dont see the models completely zoomed out, they still have to be rendered and take resources.

6 Likes

I tend to not be as picky with units having the best detailed graphics but I really like the maps/landscape and structures to have detailed graphics, so the units in this video look nice to me.

1 Like

Yes that’s fact you can’t play the game effectively with that much zoom. People should understand there’s no need to have AAA RPG like graphics in aoe 4, these all are different games with different game mechanics

5 Likes

I think people confuse the detailedness of the graphics with overall quality. As you say, there in no need for super detailed graphics in an RTS where you spend most of your time above the battlefield in an isometric view.

That said, the graphics still need to be pleasing to look at, aka the graphics need to be good. It does not matter how the “goodness” is achieved, but at the end of the day you want to like what you are watching when playing the game. And I think that is the problem, that for a lot of people (including me), AoE4 does not really hit that spot (yet), to a smaller or larger degree.

That said, I do like the models in the new footage better than what we have seen before. Just a bit more grit is needed on the textures and it will look great (and man the artillery ofc:)).

3 Likes

The models are okay, clearly better than things we’ve seen in the past, what is still bothering me is the lack of texture work. Everything is so flat and unrefined, especially the metals. What’s extra frustrating is to see that they know how to do it. Look at the British horses, their facial texture is really cool and adds a lot to the model. Why is everything else so flat?

2 Likes

When is indians plan to be released?

Who is supporting and developing AOE online right now ?

You are clearly having problems evaluating the graphics in RTS, these screenshots look really great. It has been said a million times that the RTS should first of all look good from above, and should not be overloaded with details, this is not Total War.

4 Likes

I want to express my opinion, although most likely I will be showered with tomatoes by a couple of local fans of detailing (which nafig did not make it on the RTS, but more on that later). What I see in the screenshots really looks very cool, the models are beautiful, the armor, the weapons are all cool, to be honest, I want to play it, I would like to express my gratitude to the insiders and developers who are working on AoE 4 every day, we are looking forward to the release.
Next, I want to talk about the bad, namely the reaction of the toxic percentage of the community, I would like to say separately that you are discussing RTS here, and in RTS, gameplay is primarily important. When we played the first Red Alert or Master of Orion, we didn’t think about how it looked, because the game fascinated us with its very mechanics, it was cool and new, building a soldier, a base and so on, really iconic strategies never chased cool graphics (Most RTS which are given as an example of more detailed graphics are very mediocre and abandoned, probably because in addition to graphics, gameplay is also needed), it’s certainly very cool to look at the unit models (although the activity is very stupid, but oh well), but most people will play strategy, they want interesting mechanics, they want gameplay that will keep them awake at night. I would like to cite as an example WarCraft 3 Reforged, where after overloading the unit models with detailing the game began to look just awful, in RTS detailing is not so important, since you look at the game from above most of the time, and you need the game to look good from above, and the picture in the same original WarCraft 3 it was lined up precisely for the view from above, shadows were drawn by hand, and so on, a tremendous amount of work was done on how it looks ABOVE, the Remaster itself destroyed it with detail and a bunch of “chips” of new graphics.
In conclusion, I want to say that I will definitely like this game, I am sure of this, the only thing I really do not like is to see the posts every day “The graphics are not what I want”, “I want two graphics options” (maybe then you two games do?), “The graphics are not realistic” and so on, as if people do not understand and do not hear what both the developers and other AoE fans are telling them, THIS IS SUCH DESIGN, the same transition in design as in Civilization between 5 and 6, if you don’t like it’s a problem of your taste, it’s not a problem of the game and the community, the developers don’t owe you anything, they do their job as they see it.
And instead of raising really important problems about when the Beta will be, or about regional prices, or about the optimization and performance of the game on release, people repeat the same thing over and over again that even the game is not a problem, and the funny thing is that this is happening in all branches of the AoE series, and in the AoE 2 and AoE 3 sections, (Moreover, the posts are written by the same people, which means that those who are dissatisfied with the design are even less than we think) I really start to think that the matter is in the community … Wake up people , this is just a game, you can simply not play and let those who like the new design and who are waiting for the game calmly, without swaying their nerves, wait and discuss their desired game. That’s all.

6 Likes

It’s a fan project following the MS gameusage rules.

1 Like

You think this is awesome?

It looks like it’s generated in a free software by a student.

Have you seen total war?

I am a fan of Total War from 2004 ( i played Shogun 1, 2, Rome 1,2 , Medieval 1,2 , Attila, Warhammer 1,2 ) so what???
Do you have play AOE series??

AOE and Total War are 2 completely different games. AOE is an RTS game that builds houses and trains soldiers all in real time! Have you seen any games that are similar to AOE but the graphics are similar to Total War? of course not. So don’t compare the two games, compare them with themselves. Again, it’s AOE4’s graphic style and it’s better than all the graphics of previous AOE games. and it’s an RTS game so please stop comparing 2 different games

4 Likes

Looking at the way you speak, it’s immediately obvious that you’ve never played the AOE series. I can confirm that AOE4 has better graphics than previous AOE games. There will never be a story from an easy-to-see and familiar graphic style of a pure RTS line to suddenly have realistic graphics like Total War? if so, then AOE’s fans are not familiar with them. Look at Company of Heroes also designed by Relic. so Relic they have the ability to design realistically about AOE4 but they just want to design graphics to be familiar to fans of pure RTS AOE only. You cannot play an RTS game that requires detailed graphics of the characters like an action role-playing game. People will think you’re crazy

4 Likes

It’s really worring that they keep shipping videos with a lot of issues that people adressed since the fan preview in April.
-Manned Siege weapons
-Arrows still come out from the bottom of the archer and not from the bow.
-Bad movement/turn rate in some units

And i’m afraid that the game will be shipped in this way. And it is supposed to be a €60 AAA game?

I love how AoE IV looks but at the same time it has so many things that are not being fixed or treated at all that is worrying.

Ghost workers for the trebuchet but the cannon is moving on it’s own? It hurts my eyes! Even AoE 2 lovers complains about the same issue and they still refuwr to do such thing.

I just hope for the sake of MS and the own saga that they don’t deliver a game buggy as hell.

2 Likes

As i said, different poibtt of views.

Ahahahah, i don’t Believe what you wrote!! Incredibile!! Oh Jesus. Yes , i never played AOE game and i never play RTS games. LOL. Yes, i’m not the Man Who playedall beta version as Insider and Who had all AOE games. maybe i played more RTS than the most of people in this community.

Have you played Total War?

TW is a completely different game.

In TW you control groups of units which you recognise by the icons above them, because it’s impossible to differentiate one from another. In addition to that, battles are slow and you even have the option to pause and change the speed of the game on the go.

What this means is that it doesn’t matter how the graphics affect the visibility in TW. They can go for the most realistic graphics, make everything impossible to recognise from above, and allow players to create beautiful scenes playing with the camera angles, because they have time to do that - and stop caring about the micromanagement of the units - during the battle, without it even influencing the outcome.

(Some of these points apply to CoH and other squad-based RTS as well, to an extent.)

In AoE (and many other RTS, like Starcraft, C&C etc., which offer a much better comparison), you build structures and manage individual units in real time, in a much faster pace. There is no tactical pause, no slowing time option. If you zoom in too much, you don’t see what you need to see to be able to play the game. Therefore, the units need to be recognisable from above.

The goal is not to look good when zoomed in, but to look good and funcional from afar, which is how you play the game 95% of the time. The more realistic the graphics are, the more difficult it is to accomplish this goal. This is the reasoning behind AoE4’s art style.

TLDR: two completely different games. You shouldn’t compare their graphics that way.

5 Likes

AoE4 sure doesn’t have the best graphics ever, but they are far from bad.

They aimed for low hardware requirements, which I think was a good decision, considering most RTS players usually play old games that don’t require a good PC.

The art style of AoE4 accomplishes good enough visuals with good funcionality, which is what an RTS needs, IMO.

Some people say this art style aims to “cater for a wider audience, fortnite players etc.”. I say the opposite: these graphics allow the game to look good enough (remember, it’s a 3d game. This art style requires less details to look good) and not to alienate all the old RTS players who don’t have a gamer PC beacause they played only AoE2 for their entire lives.

3 Likes

I am 33 years old and i played RTS games when i was 13 years old. First game i play Empire Earth then Battle realms, Warcraft,Starcraft,Red Arlet,Total War, Cossack,America Conquest, Alexander game2004 , King Arthur, Settler, Stronghold, Knight of honor, spellforce,Dawn of war,rise of nations, empire dawn of modern war,caesar 3, Poseidon 2001,romance of three kingdoms 13, company of heroes, ancestor legacy,star war empire at war,Battle for middle earth, and ofcourse AOE series. So what? Let take an example:
You can not compare the graphics or style of Total War series with Warcarft3, each game has different graphic style, you know what i mean?

2 Likes

37 and my First game It was Dune2.