Usually kids dont play this game!

You can pour through the data yourself, not dissimilar from the testimonies from several people in this thread, many of the professional players started to play professionally at ages as young as 13. You have to basically intentionally ignore the fact that people play video games at ages younger than 18 to believe that children are not playing age of empires. It’s a confusing conversation to have considering most people who play video games don’t go professional, and they don’t start as adults!

The people you play games with don’t just sprout of the ground…

2 Likes

I’m highly doubtful that people were “afraid” to say this as imho it barely holds any truth in it but instead is highly biased.

Now they are not 13.
Are you okay?
We are talking in present time. They are older now, and the present younger kids who play this game are not more than 20% at the maximum. It is less than you are expecting. I personally tried really hard to teach AOE4 to younger kids and their opinion was that it is really hard to focus on so many things as its the decisions they made snow ball in the later stages of the game (they are 13-17). Shooter games are way easier, because the outcome is way more predictable. AOEIV is like a chess. Every move affects to the outcome of the match and it takes more time. In action games, players spawn, shoot, then kill or die. It happens in maximum of 3 minutes.
Just accept your defeat at this point.
The same people who always respond, defend the things that are liked by them are commenting here as they do in other threads. They should be more realistic, professional, but they always deny whatever they dont like.
Biased as always.

It’s not really an argument, it’s the reality of the situation. Children play video games, age of empires is one of them. There’s no evidence that says that they do not. Time passing and people aging as time passes is part of life, it’s not evidence to there being no children present.

It’s also interesting you bring up chess, that is a game that has a huge number of children who play it. It has all of the features of a game that you claim would cause a child not to play it. I’m just more confused about the point you are trying to make, it doesn’t really connect with lived experiences and statistics.

This isn’t about convincing you or even trying to prove reality does still exist outside of the computer screen. I apologize if I’ve done something to offend, it’s just hard to see misinformation get spread without any kind of counter to it.

Edit: There’s something that has been shifting every time someone responds, in the opening post you made you said:

Then it evolved into:

What I’m trying to understand is what this conversation is ultimately about. I was trying to respond to the original prompt, which is that usually kids don’t play this game. It’s obvious that the player base who engages in ladder play is going to be older, I don’t even know how to begin to verify the claim that you are making. It kind of feels like crazy making, as far as I know children have their information protected on the internet and don’t typically go out of their way to state publicly that they are a child to a room of anonymous adults. So how do we even verify that what you are saying is true?

Is this thread just about petitioning for more adult features to be added as a result of a more mature audience? Is it about making an observation that the game does not have new players, that the people who do play are only playing because they were here before?

It seems we are not having the same conversation with each other. It doesn’t make any sense to have a fight about something that neither of us have the ability to confirm. To be honest, it doesn’t make any sense to me that we are even having a disagreement to begin with. There’s nothing substantial to even have a discussion over other than subjective data and anecdotes. Again, I am not against you or the things you stand for, it’s just a matter of fact that children have and continue to play age of empires.

If there’s anything you want me to address or explain I can, but trading base insults with each other or mocking each other for the things that we understand is just petty. It doesn’t lead to an understanding.

IMG_0202

1 Like

My point was very simple, older audience dominates the AOEIV.
Due to the data, I stated kids dont play this game. Because there were only 2 and the other was like 16 kids now. About reddit post, most people select their age, and even the comments prove it. About your post regarding the pros, only 2 were kids at age 18. Which is only about 1% of the pro player base.
Adding them all, including streamers etc, we get can get the rough idea of player’s average age.

Then, my point was that the AOE game is a lot more difficult, most kids are not interested in such games, where a lot of planning is required and also effort. They mostly prefer simple and short games. They die and spawn in a few seconds and straight into action, which is also less boring. There are far many reasons to not try this game, instead of many shooter ones that are available, free ones are the most appealing one too. AOEIV is way too pricey for children. This is why, I always was critical on so many mechanics, effects etc. Because some were removed due to age restriction, to target wider audience, but in reality, children ask their parents and buy it. Age restriction only works when child’s parents do not allow them to play, and such cases are really rare. It never worked.

Due to so many reasons, I only ask to make it optional, payable feature, so I and others will enjoy this game more.

this is also why entertainment/movie as a whole being going down hill and fast, and will only get worse.

as long as it satisfy them they’d happily throw money away. the well/better crafted content are less appreciated because it requires more time to understand.

makes me curious what kind of garbage movie they’d make another 30 years from now lmao

1 Like

Here another post going like wild fire.
Many say they are older than 18
And it is true that kids in 90’s and 00’s were born during the RTS’s golden age and it is one of their main reasons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe4/comments/1ax4qt4/why_does_this_game_resonate_so_well_with_players/

Devs really need to understand the player base.

It’s still just people on reddit sharing that people on reddit are in their late 20s and beyond.

1 Like

Well, I would say you being BIASED here.
They are proving their points, you gotta look for the comments.

Going back and forth with subjective data, personal experiences are anecdotes, are why this conversation is devolving. That’s all I’m trying to get at. You’re using disconnected data points based off of small sample groups, mostly anecdotes. That’s literally confirmation bias.

By the way, making accusations is what this boils down to every time. Chill out.

“older than 18” means they were born in 2005-2006, buddy. “older than 18” is an incredibly easy bar to reach.

I think it’s pretty significant that in your link, a bunch of people say they’re in their mid-20s or younger. People who wouldn’t have been able to use a computer when AoE III came out, and perhaps weren’t even born for II (and most certainly the first AoE game).

Do you really think this is making the point you want it to make?

In this part of yours, I disagree. People still can download AOE2,3,2de,3de. Just like that, when they grow up, they find games in stores etc or their family members introduce them etc.
So he is pretty much correct and you on the other hand biased.

Children are also less likely to be in a hostile environment, so I guess I can see that being a factor.

You have a bias when you have a prejudice, something that causes you to selectively ignore what people say. The people with a bias here are the ones suggesting that children don’t play the game. You don’t have objective data to confirm that, and even the subjective data points to there being a child population. This entire discussion is just troll bait.

2 Likes

Picking up a game when it came out, and coming across it years later, are very different things.

Besides the point anyway. The poster was going on about how from a handful of reddit posters, how young folk didn’t play this game. It’s a silly assumption, and it ignores the young adults in the reddit thread.

This in no way seems biased :joy:

1 Like

and by then graphics were stuck to reallity, reason many of us loved it as kids. I see kids playing cod, reallistic graphics… I think AoE can combine reealistic and cartonish but more like aoe 3, in aoe 4 its fornite of empires, too cartoony for my taste.

1 Like

Just because of your opinion, you think my post is a troll bait?
I think you need more valid data, and I promise you cannot find any.
You already failed on your 1st attempt.
Your opinion is not a fact. So good luck finding some kind of data regarding the age of the player base of this game.

I also mentioned pro players and streamers. You being BIASED here too.
Missing crucial points there.

The reason why I said that is because of the lack of data, I obviously can’t prove you ‘wrong’ because you change the question in each response. It started with there being nearly no children to becoming something about there being less children than adults, citing that the concentration of children isn’t greater than 20% or w/e is setting an impossible standard… that’s a basic statistical fact. 22.1% of humans alive are under 18, it’s incredibly obvious that you won’t see that number exceeded.

The fact that you see this as a win lose scenario is why it’s becoming heated. No one has a problem with your opinion, the problem is with the insinuation that it is the truth. The truth is more complex than who is subjectively wrong or right, and it requires objective data instead of cherry picked threads… threads that have people in them stating that they are under 18.

Besides, the onus for providing the data is on you for making the statement, not people who find it unlikely to be true.

All of this to be about making the game even less accessible to children in response to them supposedly not being present is what this is about. You’re going to have to understand why they won’t do that: this is a game for everyone, that includes children. It is extremely unlikely for them to add gore for that reason alone.

You shared the pro player statistics and I just analyzed it based on your shared data.
There were only 2 pro players that are 18 years old out of so many.

Well there was that post and I thought it was interesting to share it. But then you came in to deny me, so I have to defend the point, because you don’t have any…

I didn’t say only adults play this game…
I stated, most of the players are adults, who are older than 18 years old.
And I provided evidences starting from the price, thought process difficulty for children, decision making issues etc. But you on the other hand, did not provide any valuable argument regarding it. Mostly said the post is from Reddit, so it is faulty, not true, kid dont have that problem etc. So biased view from you side.

Again, you are proving why Devs not adding such features or features that are not gory, but better death animations (with blood), corpses last a little longer, etc. In the end, they are doing it and hurting the game’s potential. If you see it carefully, it is “LIMITING ITS POTENTIAL” to be a successful game. Why do you think AOE2 is the best and lasting game? Because the devs did everything they could to make the game better.

I think you are attacking me without any valid point, still you couldnt find any source tha shows us there are many kids who play this game “NONE”. And still you disagree and troll here with others. It is better if you focus on other threads because you are being extremely rude and unprofessional here. You didnt provide any valuable data that proves you are right in any way. And say I am a troll bait…
You being you!
So bias!!!