We need a lot more civilisations!

What does that mean?

How do they have more personality?

What makes English, French, Rus, and Chinese “mundane”?

Again, it’s my personal opinion. Coolness is subjective. Seeing England, France, Russia and China in the news all the time takes the intrigue away from the civilizations. Also, playing AOE 2 and 3 as a kid and training longbows makes them old. Still fun but nothing new. The big thing about France is they have knights, but so does everyone. Compare that with Vikings and Samurai which are very iconic and unique. Way better name recognition than Streltsy and Landsknecht. Also, a William Wallace campaign that come out right after Braveheart, and whatever everyone sees in the Byzantines. I feel like they went for the staple/relevant civs instead of the cult classics making the game real but not as fun as it could be.

Hey, chinese is the most unique and diverse civ mechanically rn

This is my opinion.
While vikings and samurai are certainly iconic.
I see nothing wrong with Knights and general Medieval european warriors.

I feel quite often that Medieval european, be it knights, or mercenaries or whatnot.
Are quite often under-appreciated for actually how awesome actually were.
Crusaders are more reckognised and appreciated, but Crusaders were mostly just what knights where.
but there were more than the heavy-clad armor cavalry boyz who had some pretty cool stuff.
Genoise crossbowmen were renown at their time, the famous Swiss Guard Pikemen, the Barefoot-warrior of Friesland who found themself in every conflict in europe at the time.

As cool as Vikings and Samurais are, I find them way to over-popularised and thus overhyped for what they actual were.

every warrior were great, I find the whole debate silly with Samurai vs Knights or whatnot who was the best aka ultimate warrior of their time.

Noone were, every warrior were good at what they were trained at.
Be it better armed, armored, training or techniques.

I personally think it is better that a game isntead of falling into the populirised tropes, instead focusing on highlighting much more under-appreciated cultures and warriors out there.

There are tons of cool warriors that are known, but never really put to much attention in media,
Warriors from South east asia such the krabi krabong and moro warriors.
the indian continent filled with unique and intersting weaponry almost taken out from a fantasy novel, be it skirmishers throwing razorsharp metal rings, to a sword that acted like a whip, could easily cut off limbs.
The African continent, filled with history and legends, such as the Nubian archers, and more famous Zulu. but there are far more than just those.
The American continent, with more famously known Jaguar Warriors of the Aztec, which overshadows the Mayan warriors, who were just as fierce as the most brutal of Aztec champion.

And there is just a endless list of praiseworthy cultures and warriors from those cultures that deserves just as much recognition as Japanese Samurais and European Knights.

For me, those are more interesting. This coming from someone who does HEMA and a weeb ontop of it all.

2 Likes

each player has their own taste in civilizations.

I like civilizations with elephants, and I am not satisfied with Delhi Sultanate.

I like very exotic civilizations… example: Aztec, Incas and Vikings I’m interested. But I wouldn’t be happy yet, because I like elephants a lot kkkkkk , so I need many civilizations to maybe someday be satisfied.
In my case, referring to elephants, maybe I would be satisfied if they add these three civilizations: Chola Empire (southern India) , the Thai Empire and the Dai Viet (Vietnamese)!

1 Like

Didn’t it take them almost a year to release 2 civs? Wouldn’t call that shortly XD

Guess how often AoE2 gets two civs added…

Once a year usually.

How often do non-AoE games get factions added? Usually never, or once in an expansion sometime.

你說英格蘭一直都是長弓,我也覺得中國一直都是諸葛弩。你講的純粹是刻板印象,而遊戲公司就是用各文明的刻板印象來塑造每個文明。事實上中國不使用諸葛弩作戰,而日本戰場上大部份是足輕而非武士,忍者也不上戰場。

1 Like

I hope that with a new expansion they also tune and add more content for all the civs and new game play mechanics, improve walls, more unique units, new technologies ( produce 2 units per barracks so we can avoid made a sim city of barracks)

Be patient, They are working on it. I rather to wait to have quality civs, rather than just rush it. AOE4 is not copy paste civs

1 Like

I suppose we can all agree that the number 10 (aoe4 civs after 19 months) is not that far behind the number 13 (aoe2 civs in the fall of 1999).

But if you look at AoE2 after 12 months, it had 18 civs. I don’t think 10 aoe2 civs after 19 months is very close to 18 aoe2 civs after 12 months.

But your point still stands to the extent that aoe4’s civs are more interesting.

I think a better comparison would be AoE3. AoE3 also launched with 8 civs. It had 11 civs after 12 months and 14 civs after 24 months. So it is outpacing aoe4.

+1 we need to have the Byzantines, Vikings, Japanese, Spanish, Persians, and Aztecs. Greetings.

1 Like

I had also read that the Zhuge-nu was a personal defense weapon, similar to the Inca and Aztec quirky daggers, or the Indonesian kharambit. Being so, that would explain its low cost, practically training enough is training a peasant militia armed with a cheap weapon, but effective in mass. Well at least I want to see it like this. The fact that his darts do less damage than a normal bow is well represented.

Another unit that is cheap for its historical production is the Streltzy, the Russian gunpowder infantry who were given “the bare minimum” and the rest were compensated with parcels of land and some tax discounts for their families; even to save a sling for the rifle they devised to use the bardiches as support.

About the ninjas: in the last 2 Japanese concepts (including mine), the ninja would act as a substitute for scout, but obviously with less life, and would have something similar to mali rush to "harass villagers", in Feudal, as supposed what did ninjas do. As you say, they were not a unit that fights in the open field, although that remedies if they are scouts, that are weak to almost everything. To stil being useful in imperial, when upgraded, instead of the anti-archer bonus, they would acquire only more stats, so they don’t die so easy against other infantry, but they are still weak against archers, cavalry or even siegue weapons for being light infantry and very litle HP even being explorers. I don’t think it’s wise to make them shock infantry (as in Aoe3), as shock infantry is generally good against archers and weak aggainst spearman, and I think a unmounted spy’s biggest weakness should be getting shot at from a distance or grabbed by another scout. They would compensates those stats with a stealth ability. Also, they would cost some gold (70f 10g) to reflect that are mercenaries.

You are right, if we consider that unlike Aoe2, the designers have to create the models of each new unit, and not only unique units, and on top of each improvement (Spearman1234, MenAtArm56, Archer789, Crossbowman91011, Knight1213, Horsemen1415, Scout16, Priest1718 , Villagers19202122, HandCannoner23, Merchant24) we have a minimum of 24 models, and that’s not counting the models if the Civ has unique units that don’t replace bases like the Mehter or the Winguard Guard.

We add models for 6 Landmarks, models for each type of building, according to the architectural style of the civ, and considering the buildings that change for age (house1234, mineralcamp5, woodcamp, Mill7, UrbanCenter891011, barracks131415, archery161718, stable192021, dock22, workshop-2324, Keep25,university26,wonder27, tower28,fortifiedtower29, stonewallTower30, wall31), we have a minimum of 37 models for buildings. Happily the Mali and Ottomans came with custom walls and Landmark-Fortress with a proportionally large size (unlike the French, Russian and English, which are more of a “Mini” size), so I guess future Civs will also have unique walls and landmark fortress with adequate size.

If the Civ shares ships as a regional unit with another Civ they also save designing new ship models.

Well, they also say that “If you want, you can”, so it just depends on how much dedication the devs put into it. Cheer up devs!

2 Likes

比起複製貼上的“多文明”,我覺得少數特色鮮明的文明就好。

最近又有做了一點美工,到處竊取設計的“新文明設想”出現。讓我想起以前做aoe3 mod被盜用,那人還自稱原創的破事。

很多做mod的都沒啥真本事。我當時因為mod被盜,本尊帳號推出論壇。不久後聽說有可以破解aoe3模型的工具,但他們一幫“大老”還沒研究出使用方式。我創小號去要求一起研究,還被噴。最後用激將法才取得工具。我一個下午就找出使用方式,告訴他們沒辦法套用在aoe3。

I wouldn’t want to see them adding more civilizations if they feel less unique just like in AoE2 so in that case I’m fine with less civilizations if it means more uniquness between them all.

Then I think we all need to keep expectasions low on how many civilizations they can add that feel different enough, because sooner or later they will run into problems with each civ feeling more or less the same. I can’t see them having more than 20 civilizations if they wish to continue with the same design philosophy.

3 Likes

Just this!
Rather have quality civs than rushed out copy paste civs!
The only thing that’s important is that they are working on new ones and i’m sure they will do a good job.
For me The Malians and Ottomans were a perfect inclusion because of their unique mechanics and Units!
That’s what i want for new civs too

3 Likes

Considering that they are in the process of updating current old civs tells me that they are in the process of soon introducing our next new civs, so all civs in the game feel more on the same “level” I guess so it looks promising.

1 Like

Agree on everything you said in your two posts.
I’m still having a blast with the current civs but i’m still very excited about what civ or civs are coming next

i dont think they can continue with diversity of english compared to mongols, but civs like english, french, hre are not copy paste yet they similar so i expect some very different and some not so and personaly thats what i want i will like to see more civs

I’m pretty excited thinking about how Vikings and Japanese (the two civs I’d be most excited to see) could be implemented. AOE4 has much more involved “gimmicks” for each civ than AOE2 does, with the Mongol relocatable buildings being a great example, which makes me really curious what distinctive and interesting “gimmicks” the Japanese/Vikings might have.

PLUS, in AOE4, every single civ has distinct architecture instead of civs being grouped together in architectural categories, which is exciting cuz it means the Japanese and Vikings will have all their buildings (not just their wonders) really precisely reflecting their respective super interesting architectural traditions, instead of the Japanese sharing their buildings with the Chinese, Koreans, Mongols and Vietnamese. I really like how AOE4 civs are more distinct and precise like this.

Obviously, it means that we can’t get “a lot more civilizations” as quickly as AOE2 does! But it makes each individual civ so much more exciting to get.