What civilizations would you like to see in this game?

My advice, and I think that more than one has occurred is to take what has already been done (both in AOE I, II, III and mythology, in the subject of civs.). Put it together and then expand it and fill in the gaps, for example, when we talk about America in general, we turn to the USA, and the pre-Hispanic peoples of Central and South America (Aztecs, Caribs, Mayans and further south the Incas ), but no one remembers the territory of the southern cone, encompassed by Chile and Argentina, or delve into the different cultures within the Amazon, which are very varied (ranging from Brazil, to Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc). In addition to having many different characteristics, or take the people of Polynesia (Hawaii, Rapa Nui and even the Maori people), arriving in Oceania. I think it is pertinent and necessary to expand the range of players by making them feel identified with civilizations or peoples of which they could have been a part of the fact of living where they did.

1 Like

Britons

1 Like

Well I think.

All the factions that are in AoE1:RoR, AoE2+DLCs, AoE3+DLC should be in AoE:IV, anything less is a step backwards!

Also I am hoping there will be bigger culture differnce on buildings and specielly units.

1 Like

So like 75 unique civs?

1 Like

@ā€œAndy Pā€ said:
So like 75 unique civs?

only 75 civs? What about the even more!
The Olmecs, Ghana, Morocco, Assyria, Tahiti, Inca, Sioux, Shoshone, Rapa Nui (with stone heads that animate and become killing machines), each individual dynasty from China, Each Shogun from Japanā€¦

1 Like

In fact, take everyone whoā€™s working on basic gameplay concepts, programmable mechanics, historical research, unit balance, graphics, sounds, multiplayer issues and community management and have them make civs. Thatā€™s all we ever wanted from an aoe game after all.

1 Like

I would like to see not so typical civilizations such as: Brazil, Aztec, Mexico, Inca, Carthage, Spain and Russia. Oh! What about of Maya Civilization? was great astronomers maybe will be a good addition.

1 Like

Acho que as civilizaƃĀ§ĆƒĀµes deve ser somente as antigas. Colocando as mais atuais nƃĀ£o ā€œcombinamā€ com o jogo. As civilizaƃĀ§ĆƒĀµes antigas, sƃĀ£o as que mais tem haver com o jogo. SƃĀ£o ƃĀ©picas. SƃĀ£o as melhores. As mais atuais ficam para o Rise of Nations.

1 Like

This is a great threadā€¦ Because I was even wondering about the direction of this new game. It seems for the trailer we are going to the roots of what made Age of Empires a great game again. In my opinion, I would love to see some kind of game that could start from Imperial age till beginnings of modern era. IX century till XIX.

1 Like

Taking my guess from the ā€œnot in ww2ā€ thread and running with it, Iā€™m assuming for the purpose of writing this post that that guess is right and the game starts off roughly where Rise of Rome started off, and runs from Ā±600BC to 600AD, maybe a little longer depending on local tech levels. Given that Iā€™d fully expect Romans, Greeks/Macedonians, Persians and Chinese to make it into the game. The Huns and maybe even the Arabs would fit the later end of the era, and may or may not fit the exact scope of the game, but if they donā€™t make it would be prime candidates for an expansion.

Iā€™d love to sea Central Asians, maybe the Yuezhi/Bactrian/Kushan empire (which are sort of the same civilization if I understand correctly). Indians and at least one South-East Asian empire would be nice, so with the Persians thereā€™d be at least 3 elephant civs, and elephants are awesome. The Mayans and the Olmec would be the prime American candidates (possibly the Wari, the people who went out with a party, and Iā€™m sure there are at least some options in North-America as well), so that leaves (Sub-Sahara) Africa as the biggest place for which I donā€™t know anything, but Iā€™m not too worried since the continent is too big and diverse to not have any good stories from that period hiding in it. Japanese, Korean, Carthage, Gauls, Celts, some form of Germanic tribe, same for Slavic, Mongols (pre-Khan) and Egyptians are all options as well.

From a regionalistic standpoint Iā€™d love to see Belgae, Batavi or Frysians as a Northern European civ, maybe with swimming villagers as a unique power or something, or a speed bonus to scout cavalry, or some other swamplander power (for the last two, the Belgae get extra bravery, because Julius said so). (In fact, I think one of the reasons I never got aoe3 until last week is that the Dutch get a lackluster economic penalty connected to money as their prime distinctive characteristic. If Iā€™m going to be in the game, sort of, I want to be cool in some way.) But Iā€™m not giving myself anywhere near good odds there, too many great empires to explore.

1 Like

Taking my guess from the ā€œnot in ww2ā€ thread and running with it, Iā€™m assuming for the purpose of writing this post that that guess is right and the game starts off roughly where Rise of Rome started off, and runs from Ā±600BC to 600AD, maybe a little longer depending on local tech levels. Given that (assumed) setting Iā€™d fully expect Romans, Greeks/Macedonians, Persians and Chinese to make it into the game. The Huns and maybe even the Arabs would fit the later end of the era, and may or may not fit the exact scope of the game, but if they donā€™t make it would be prime candidates for an expansion.

Iā€™d love to see Central Asians, maybe the Yuezhi/Bactrian/Kushan empire (which are sort of the same civilization if I understand correctly). Indians and at least one South-East Asian empire would be nice, so with the Persians thereā€™d be at least 3 elephant civs, and elephants are awesome. The Mayans and the Olmec would be the prime American candidates (possibly the Wari, the people who went out with a party, and Iā€™m sure there are at least some options in North-America as well), so that leaves (Sub-Sahara) Africa as the biggest place for which I donā€™t know anything, but Iā€™m not too worried since the continent is too big and diverse to not have any good stories from that period hiding in it. Japanese, Korean, Carthage, Gauls, Celts, some form of Germanic tribe, same for Slavic, Mongols (pre-Khan) and Egyptians are all options as well.

From a regionalistic standpoint Iā€™d love to see Belgae, Batavi or Frysians as a Northern European civ, maybe with swimming villagers as a unique power or something, or a speed bonus to scout cavalry, or some other swamplander power (for those last two options, the Belgae get extra bravery, because Julius said so). (In fact, I think one of the reasons I never got aoe3 until last week is that the Dutch get a lackluster economic penalty connected to money as their prime distinctive characteristic. If Iā€™m going to be in the game, sort of, I want to be cool in some way.) But Iā€™m not giving myself anywhere near good odds there, too many great empires to explore.

(This is one of those posts that could eventually magically become a double post, because the system seems to have eaten version 1. Funnily enough it keeps happening in this thread. I think posts get marked as spam if you edit too much or something.)

1 Like

In general yeah to: elephants, chariots, all types of different cool unique units. But i hate the idea that the game should have a ton of nations. I rather have 5 well done nations than 20 and never being able to find expert replays of my civ, or match up of choice. Letā€™s say you woul like to see a game of japan vs aztec (in aoe3), the chance of this matchup ā€œrandomlyā€ happening is like once every 14*14/2=196/2=98 games. So allthough i would like to watch this matchup, it almost never happens.

The other way would be 3 civs like starcraft2, with only 6 match ups. That may be a bit small.

I also think that an expansion shouldnā€™t always have new civs. Just new added stuff to all existing nations could be enough if done well. For instance they add 20 new units and 50 new researches to the 5 existing nations as well as large balance changes of existing content.

1 Like

Letā€™s say we go with 13 civilizations, pre-expension.

Theyā€™re usually split by types of buildings ā€¦ so :

• Americans (all wars ROFL)

• British (WWII allies, and enemy with france for centuries)

• Frenches (WWII allies, and enemy with british for centuries)

• Russians (Cold war storyline)

• Germans (WWII storyline)

• Poland (WWII storyline)

• Iran (because of their alliance with china and russia, they are a key. If attacked, it will launch WWIII im pretty sure of that. They also have a old story against mongolians, as they were the persians, I think? I could be wrong but maybe iraq or syria is persia then)

• Iraq (the war in iraq, with the isis and stuff, could be a campaign)

• Syria (the war in syria)

• Chinese (a long living empire)

• Koreans (WWIII, or almostā€¦)

• Japan (WWII)

• Mongolians (the largest empire to have ever existed)

And maybe there could be a special for first nations, they would be like some sort of GAIA that you can interact with, and maybe it could be possible to play as them too, I donā€™t knowā€¦

I think if it covers all eras, itā€™s important to have empires that are still standing todayā€¦ They all have a story and an origin anyways, right?

2 Likes

Give Byzantines to the people!!!

2 Likes

Lol I love the idea of putting Canada into the game. Iā€™m in Canada as well, and would love some moose riding cavalry as an unusual addition to the game jkjk XD. Have you tried the Wars of Liberty mod for AOE III? They have Canada as a civilization, but they put like 0 effort into it lol. Canadaā€™s bonus is that it grows maple trees beside every building they make XD. Iā€™d love to see what a real studio could do.

1 Like

@LiamIsBest1010 said:
Lol I love the idea of putting Canada into the game. Iā€™m in Canada as well, and would love some moose riding cavalry as an unusual addition to the game jkjk XD. Have you tried the Wars of Liberty mod for AOE III? They have Canada as a civilization, but they put like 0 effort into it lol. Canadaā€™s bonus is that it grows maple trees beside every building they make XD. Iā€™d love to see what a real studio could do.

Canada is very peaceful. I know in WW2 you participate.

1 Like

If we start from ancient civilization, then these are my take

1. Mesopotamian Civilization (Sumerians, Mesopotamia, Babylonians, Assyrians, Akkadians and Chaldeans)
  2. Indus Valley Civilization
  3. Ancient Egyptian Civilization
  4. Ancient Greek Civilization
  5. Ancient Chinese Civilization
  6. Mayan Civilization

If we consider top greatest empires, not in the order of greatness

1. British Empire
  2. Mongol Empire
  3. Roman Empire
  4. Russian Empire
  5. Spanish Empire
  6. Chinese (Qing/Yuan/Ming/Han dynasty)
  7. French Empire
  8. Indian Empires(Maurya/Mughal/Chola/Vijayanagara/Maratha empires)
  9. Vikings
  10. Portugese
  11. Dutch
  12. Japanese
  13. Persian Empire
  14. Turkish
  15. Caliphate
  16. Huns

For the current age these are the countries who are strong contenders
Top 10 GDP:

1. US
  2. China
  3. Japan
  4. Germany
  5. UK
  6. India
  7. France
  8. Brazil
  9. Italy
  10. Canada

Top 20 Military Fire Power:

1. US
  2. Russia
  3. China
  4. India
  5. France
  6. UK
  7. South Korea
  8. Japan
  9. Turkey
  10. Germany
  11. Italy
  12. Egypt
  13. Iran
  14. Brazil
  15. Indonesia
  16. Israel
  17. Pakistan
  18. North Korea
  19. Spain
  20. Vietnam
3 Likes

Regardless of the era they choose, if they donā€™t launch with civs from Asia, Africa, and the Americas, imma lose my mind. This franchise has overrepresented Europe for 20 years. Itā€™s bad history and at some point is pretty weird.

We have never launched with a civ from the Americas yet, and havenā€™t had one at all since an AoE3 expansion like 10 years ago. And we havenā€™t had a far eastern Asian civ launch since 1999.

1 Like

@ā€œAndy Pā€ said:
Regardless of the era they choose, if they donā€™t launch with civs from Asia, Africa, and the Americas, imma lose my mind. This franchise has overrepresented Europe for 20 years. Itā€™s bad history and at some point is pretty weird.

We have never launched with a civ from the Americas yet, and havenā€™t had one at all since an AoE3 expansion like 10 years ago. And we havenā€™t had a far eastern Asian civ launch since 1999.

Well, there are all those expansion for AoE II HD Editionā€¦

I understand what you mean though. I would certainly like to see the game released with a select number of standout civilizations from around the world to get our attention and then launch more civs in select regions to round out the collection.

1 Like

The core game is for the important civs.

If you arenā€™t from Europe, you go into the expansion pack. Weā€™ll get to you later if we have time.

Donā€™t worry. Weā€™ll give your units and buildings the same names as the ones from Europe. We donā€™t want you to feel left out.

This is the proud tradition of Age of Empires, the home of the Yamato hoplite.

1 Like