What "RETOLD" means?

Totally unrealistic. Also ppl should value depth over many choices aka quality over quantity more in my opinion.

What I mean with this is:
Focus more on balance, good KI, details, good looking units, maps, many cool maps, more animations, kill moves for every myth unit, maybe more gods for every civ (yes that would be more variety but it would still firstly focus on the original civs which would therefore mean quality aswell i think)

I mean I would also welcome new civs (I mean I tried out the Aztec mod cause I would like to play such culture too) and others as mentioned Hindu, Slavic etc. but those can and should come after the base game is settled and resources are firstly went into the base game and base features and overall quality.

And also at the moment we have 5 civs, with Maya/Aztec we would have 6 and then maybe one or two more but then after it would too much in my opinion.

Also some could be really thrown together.
I mean I personally would have thrown a few nordic civs together cause 3 or 4 nordic civs which would be overall too much I think cause there might be a few different things but many aesthetics would possibly be quite similar.

2 Likes

It means they didn’t want people to confused Enhanced Edition with Definitive Edition.

Yea I know this was a Greek thing but I never understood why. I think it’s already unique for each faction to gain favor, sometimes different farm etc than other civs.

AoM should all be about Heroes and Myth units.

That’s why I really think every civ should have at least 4 heroes for each age and that myth units should be stronger in general.

Civs would still feel unique. And there are enough characters and if not creativity always helps greatly.

I hope something like that will come along the way at best in retold or a very similar mythology based RTS game in the future

Here’s my take on ‘Retold’
If I was in charge of bringing this new version to life, I’d use the AOE3:DE game engine and go from there. Instead of having to rebuild a sub-par system that was was basically the experimental precursor to AOE3 anyway. (At least, that’s how I remember it, 20 years on). It would save a lot of work, but it would also mean the result isn’t quite AoM as we know it… thus ‘Retold’ in a new format, rather than repaired.

3 Likes

Hopefully the game will be released soon, but more important is that the game is nice and playable.

5 Likes

NOTE - This is just my opinion and observation, nothing verified or confirmed by Microsoft:
I think its just simply branding since “technically” AOM is a spinoff from AOE. In any case it could also allude to changes from the original AOM (maybe without the Titans Expansion pack civs and campaign) they plan to create a whole new campaign with the new engine hence why it would receive Retold branding instead of Definitive Edition which is some new content, some QOL upgrades and new textures/graphics. Since on twitter it says its still in development this is my speculation it may be a DE with a New Campaign.

Got it just like THQ renaming Darksiders Warmastered and Deathinitive editions.

I’d be surprised if the game was released this year.

I just want a few screenshots.

4 Likes

I really hope it’s this year

1 Like

Would be nice but I kinda doubt it.

Well anyway if it’s a simple Definitive Edition the the chances are higher it’s maybe end of this year but I personally hope it’s more than that.

My guess:

AOE X-box - Jan 31.
Rome DLC - this fall.
Myth Retold - 2024.

I assume the Rome DLC will come sooner, as the latest patch notes for 2 DE suggest a release soon after the Xbox port of AoE 2.

1 Like