What should be the focus of the next dlc post tMR? (AoE2 proper)

• North America (Mississipians, Haudenosaunee, Inuits…)
  • Mesoamerica (Purepechas, Zapotecs, Mixtecs…)
  • South America (Chimu, Muisca, Wari…)
  • British Isles (Saxons, Irish, Welsh…)
  • France (Angevins, Bretons, Occitans…)
  • Low Countries (Frisians, Flemish, Hollanders/Dutch…)
  • Germany/Alps (Swiss, Brandenburgers, Swabians…)
  • Iberia (Aragonese, Andalusians, Basques…)
  • Italy (Venetians, Papacy, Tuscans…)
  • Scandinavia (Danes, Swedes, Norwegians…)
  • Baltic Sea (Curonians, Finns, Hansards…)
  • West Slavs area (Wends, Moravians, Pomeranians…)
  • Balkans/Carpathians (Vlachs, Serbians, Albanians…)
  • Russia (Muscovites, Kievans, Permians…)
  • Pontic Steppe (Khazars, Pechenegs, Sabirs…)
  • North Caucasus (Circassians, Alans, Nakhs…)
  • Central Asia (Uzbeks, Khitans, Khwarezmians…)
  • Eastern Steppe (Jurchens, Tanguts, Oirats…)
  • South China (Bai, Dali/Nanzhao, Wu…)
  • Japan (Emishi, Ainu, Ryukyuans…)
  • Indochina (Siamese/Thais, Mons, Chams…)
  • Insulindia (Javanese, Sumatrans, Visayans…)
  • Himalaya (Tibetans, Kashmiris, Nepalis/Maithils…)
  • North India (Assamese, Sindhi, Diliwalis…)
  • South India (Kannadigas, Deccanis, Sinhalese…)
  • Iranian world (Afghans, Kurds, Daylamites…)
  • Levant/Arabia (Syrians, Yemenis, Outremers…)
  • North Africa (Moroccans, Ifriqiyans, Tuaregs…)
  • West Africa (Songhai, Soninke, Edo…)
  • East Africa (Nubians, Somalis, Kanuris…)
  • Central/South Africa (Kongolese, Swahilis, Shonas…)
  • Pacific Ocean/Oceania (Tongans, Maoris, Hawaiians…)
  • Mediterranean Sea (Egyptians, Genoese/Ligurians, Vandals…)
  • Indian Ocean (Gujaratis, Acehnese, Malagasy…)
  • Another part of the world (Caribbean Sea, Siberia, Antarctica…)
  • Late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages (Vandals, Lombards, Magadhis/Guptas…)
  • High Middle Ages (Chagatai, Novgorodians, Outremers…)
  • Late Middle Ages/Early Modern Era (Swedes, Dutch, Songhai…)
  • Campaign pack (Vikings, Chinese, Mayas…)
  • Cosmetic pack (new building sets, new unit skins, new tech icons…)
  • Another theme entirely (navy/water, religion, alternative history…)
  • All of them!
  • None
  • I don’t know
  • I don’t care
0 voters

The Mountain Royals has been out for a few days now, so I guess we can already start to discuss what you expect or hope will come next and for that polls can be a wonderful tool (nothing to do with the fact that I just like doing polls because I’m a nerd).
This poll is exclusively about AoE2 proper, it doesn’t mean that I don’t want more stuff for RoR but for that we have another thread here. If you want a poll about an entirely new game mode such as a port for AoE3 or SWGB, I’m afraid the possibilities are too limitless for me to cover everything so I probably won’t do that.
Friendly reminder that if there’s an option in the poll that you don’t like it doesn’t mean that I personally support this one, and also that the civs suggested between brackets are just exemples and not necessarily the ones that would be added should a dlc on this theme was to be released.
Anyway, without further ado, let’s vote!

3 Likes

It would be interesting if there was an Oceania DLC, but not exclusively based on Polynesia. My idea would have the Polynesians, Micronesians, and Melanesians as the Oceania civs, with the Filipinos tacked on as a fourth civ. All of them would have a new architecture set.

The Polynesians would primarily represent Hawaii, Easter Island, and the Tu’i Tonga Empire, the Micronesians would represent the Yapese Empire, the Saudeleur Dynasty, Kiribati, and others, the Melanesians would mainly represent Fiji and the Kingdom of Kaimana, and the Filipinos would represent the various kingdoms and island city-states of the Philippines. Admittedly, the Melanesians are the most primitive of the ones I suggested here, but I mainly chose them to act as a rival to the Polynesians.

2 Likes

Don’t make this to me, the Caucasus with Mediterranean set is still too fresh…

1 Like

Yes, the devs are too lazy to ever introduce a new architecture set, which means we’ll probably only ever get a bunch of Asian, African, and European civs that can use the existing sets…

1 Like

Although it could partially overlap with several options here, I miss a Silk road DLC with civs like the Sogdians and Gokturks

4 Likes

You missed american continent.

1 Like

I actually didn’t. I just don’t think the devs will add any American civs in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Let’s add the Kurds and Pashtuns to the game and they would use the Middle Eastern and Central Asian building sets respectively.

I mean, Indians did get a new architecture set during Rise of the Rajas. I don’t think a new architecture set is out of bounds from current devs, but I do wonder if the ‘mini DLCs’ compared to HD expansions play a factor into deciding whether the civs can get new architecture sets.

After all, it makes more sense to create a new architecture set for 4 civs than just 2. Especially in DE, where the models are more high quality, with special castles and such. The Forgotten brought two new sets for just one-two civs, Rise of the Rajas brought a new set for an already existing civ.

I was going to say that they had more dev time inbetween DLCs during HD times, but not really - the DLCs were usually apart by around two years. Of course, a lot of dev time goes into regular patching of the game right now, but I don’t think the same devs working on patching also work on model making, right? 11

1 Like

I voted for Italy and Iberia. Need more Mediterranean Architecture Civs. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Africa, both of the Americas and Oceania I would want next. Some of those I would love to see would most likely need a new set. Couldn’t vote for all American/ African options while also voting for Oceania but if I could have, I would have.

Not interested in another Euro DLC for the time being.

7 Likes

It’s quite ironic to see Italy doing so well. I think it is like one of the best covered regions in the world in terms of civs.

9 Likes

It’s ridiculously dense in terms of civs. Not interested in another Italy DLC.

9 Likes

No that was during African Kingdoms DLC. Also current developers are not the same. DE is very different from HD.

I’m pretty sure the current developers are still same people, just with more hires. I don’t know if the leading devs have changed. Do you have any links for that?

Yeah. I mean, it’s completely covered both historically and geographically wise. We have the Romans for late Antiquity, Goths for the Ostrogoth kingdom, Byzantines for all their holdings in Italy, which in the South lasted many centuries, Saracens/Berbers for the Emirate of Sicily, Teutons for the more HRE dominated parts, Sicilians for the Siculo-norman kingdom and, of course, the Italians themselves for the Late Medieval/Renaissance North Italy.
Do we really need more? Arguably only the Lombards are missing, but I don’t find them a big priority for the moment.

4 Likes

@Temudhun
Where is Oriyas? Why there is Gujaratis?

I am pretty sure creating architecture without destruction needs SketchUp / Blender only. While creating destruction animations needs Houdini which is a very huge skill gap. DE for sure contains a lot of new joinees.

Mayans dont have a campaign yet so its just a matter of time.

3 Likes

We still lack Venice and The Papal State. They are going to be very unique. The Venice will bring new Naval Mechanics, Papals will bring new Monk Mechanics.

3 Likes