What would you have preferred: AoE:DE or AoE 4?

What do you think about AoE4 and AoE:DE? Would a remake have been better than a remaster?
Let me know your opinion in the comment box.

Well, i’m a huge fan of AoE, I have original CD/Arts/Covers of Aoe1 and 2, I bought the AoE3 Complete Collection and AoE2 HD, so anything of this amazing franchise, I buy, new, I mean, this AoE DE shows that Microsoft has never stopped thinking about the game and the fans.
But I’ve been waiting all this years for AoE4. I and hope some day. But look, we have something special and wonderful here, I’m in.

For me AoE Overall should have an ancient plot. I didnt like AoE 3 at all just cause of this. So if AoE4 is in that timeline ok… but I love AoE:DE I waited for it…

I choose AOE:DE over 4. Besides, they hinted that we could be looking at AOE 4 before too much longer.

AOE DEfinitely. I even want to go as far as to change the name to that. :stuck_out_tongue:
I always liked the Ancient time setting. And it always stung me a bit that AOE II got a remake while overlooking the first one in the series.

I think it is good that they make their old series more playable for new players first, and then starting to focus on expanding the series again.

I agree. Modern ages just don’t do it for games with an atmosphere like AOE. As much as I liked to play AOE3 it didn’t feel like the first two. Therefore I see AOEDE as a AOE4 but there is indeed a big difference between a remake and a remaster. I believe I (and I’m not the only one) sees this too much as a remake, and I shouldn’t do that because maybe I would be disappointed. I just want to look positively to what’s coming and be grateful.

Knowing this year was the 20th anniversary of the Age of Empires franchise, I was expecting some announcement about AoE IV on the E3 or the GamesCom. And nothing about it.

But suddenly they announced that AoE Definitive Edition and I literally came in tears. So… yes. I prefer that AoE Definitive Edition. This is a dream coming true.

i think most people mean by “aoe4” a better remake of of aoe1 or aoe2 with better gameplay mechanics and 2017 graphics, not a ww2 or modern space game lol

@bubble said:
i think most people mean by “aoe4” a better remake of of aoe1 or aoe2 with better gameplay mechanics and 2017 graphics, not a ww2 or modern space game lol

My favourite AOE game was AOEO. What I want is for them to make a new game set either in antiquity or medieval times (aka set at the same time as either AOE 1 or 2), with civilizations that feel different to each other, and that is not bound to the expectations of remaining true to the original game.

I’ve accepted that AOE DE will not deviate too much from the original game, as it’s supposed to be a remake of the original game, but I hold out hope that they are/will be working on a game that upholds the legacy of how Age of Empires Online was different from the other games, whilst remaining true to the essence of Age of Empries.

So anyway, I want a remake of AOE1 or AOE2 with better graphics, but I don’t want it be just a remake. I want it to be different. I don’t want it to be bound to keeping outdated mechanics (like reseeding farms), just because it would be unfaithful to the original game.

Having said all that, I have no problem with playing a AOE DE whilst waiting for that game.

Of course I would have preferred an Age of Empires IV or Age of Mythology 2, every franchise needs new entries to stay alive and do well.

But I’m really happy with AOE DE too and they have more announcements for us :slight_smile:

Comparision between a game in developpement and a fantasm (aoe4 don’t exist so is a fantasm) its absolutly non-sens ^^. If i compare aoe-de and my fantasm of aoe4, i prefere my fanstasm ^^.

Aoe DE ofc guys for the old people to remember and for the new to learn the History of the game . Aoe 4 it can wait a little bit no need to Hurry for something guys chill and Enjoy it.

Why not both? :lol: Just kidding, AOE IV is needed to bring a fresh game to the franchise, but I am sure Microsoft want to see if It is worth through remastering old games and see how big the AOE community is.

But let’s be honest, if there is going to be a new AOE ( IV ), the timeline would cover since Industrial revolution until WWI or WWII in order to keep a balanced game and don’t have neither a overpowered age (e.g. nuclear missile at Imperial age) or too much stuff to research (as Empire Earth did).

@KingDarBoja said:

But let’s be honest, if there is going to be a new AOE ( IV ), the timeline would cover since Industrial revolution until WWI or WWII

If they do that, i am not buying it.

@KingDarBoja said:
Why not both? :lol: Just kidding, AOE IV is needed to bring a fresh game to the franchise, but I am sure Microsoft want to see if It is worth through remastering old games and see how big the AOE community is.

But let’s be honest, if there is going to be a new AOE ( IV ), the timeline would cover since Industrial revolution until WWI or WWII in order to keep a balanced game and don’t have neither a overpowered age (e.g. nuclear missile at Imperial age) or too much stuff to research (as Empire Earth did).

Not necessarily. It doesn’t need to be set after AoE III. It could be set in antiquity or the Middle Ages (+/- a couple centuries) with core mechanics similar to AoE II but more differentiation between the civs like in AoE III or AoM. That’s how I’d prefer it. :slight_smile:

@Pykke said:
Of course I would have preferred an Age of Empires IV or Age of Mythology 2, every franchise needs new entries to stay alive and do well.

But I’m really happy with AOE DE too and they have more announcements for us :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, its coming. Get your friends to buy AOE:DE so it reaches the numbers that it needs to and brace yourselves for gamescom, I can smell it.

I have loved all 4 age of games, but I don’t know how good a game set in the industrial era. I would like an aoe3 game in Europe, and I would like remakes of aoe1 and aoe2 eras, but an aoe4 that is just industrial era might be bad

I grew up with the first AoE, so the Definitive Edition is a treat to see.

I’ll give this one a good go I think. If it is enough like AOE 2 then it should be a great game given the good gameplay improvements between the two games.

Ideally for 4 I would prefer something set either in between aoe1/2 and between aoe2/3. It’d be cool starting at the end of AOE 1 and finishing say in the equivalent of the castle age, or starting in the castle age and finishing in the industrial age.

I became a fan of AoE when I was a child and the possibility of playing in HD and remastered allows me to recover some of my childhood.
On the other hand, what time would cover a hypothetical AoE4? WWI? The game would lose its essence.