What would you like to see added to AoE2 in the future?

Thats exactly what I want. I dont care for new unit skins myself (except maybe monks), but I know others do

2 Likes

Better map pool or better lobby.

yes, monks should be diffrent, as if you see anyone waving their arms saying wololo, you know what todo

The Mongol yurts skin is my favorite reward of all events. Yet they don’t even give us a mod to keep it. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Definitely some distinctive visual reworks for units matching civs. It’s kinda awkward to see aztec champions with 2H swords and so on. Some say it would affect gameplay as units wouldn’t be as identifiable but I dont think it’s something that one can’t get used to quick, and still you could just make it a personal setting to turn them on or off.

2 Likes
  • CTRL + F12 map screenshot, w/ statistics snapshot
  • More environmental stuff variations (trees, water, bushes, berries, sand colors, water colors, spec highlights, waterfalls, creeks/brooks, etc.)
  • More FX stuff (banners, breeze/gentle wind, dust poofs, snow poofs, etc.)
  • In-match extraneous stuff to design your empire in a more aesthetic sense
  • The old soundtrack
  • The old chat messaging sound instead of doorbell
  • The old taunts
  • Random weather elements (drizzle, lightning, snow falling)
  • Time of day options
  • More animals
  • Pig bears
  • Make your own civ. Like RPG games’ character creation
5 Likes

such skins should be client side only in my opinion, thus if you want the skins have at them, they don’t impact those who don’t want them.

while i respect your right to express your opinion i refer you to this.

Everything I said would be new content for random maps, as far as I know. (I’m not talking about campaign maps)

1 Like

i’m talking actual content, not features. most of those are what i would call features.

I respectfully disagree. Besides, even if they were ‘features’, then to create these features requires additional ‘content’ assets to make that happen. It’s semantics, really. If there are a bunch of parameters and definitions to be aware of before replying in this thread, please update your original post to specify which requirements are needed in order to satisfy the thread’s requirements for posting, and then I’ll move mine over to my own “What would you like to see added to AoE2 in the future?” thread where I have much looser requirements and let folks more freely brainstorm ideas

7 Likes

The thing I’d love to see are expansions.

I agree with others that those events are wasted effort in my opinion. I didn’t even care about the latest.

2 Likes

i agree they aren’t all that great but they keep people around.

5 civilizations: 1 from America, atleast 1 from India, 1 from “Australia”. I think we have had enough from Europe and Middle East. Maybe 1 from South Africa.

Certainly more campaigns and historical battles. 1 is certainly needed for Lithuanians and some civs which do not have a single scenario as Player 1.

New easter egg units like Xolotl Warrior.

New themes in civilizations like the American Civilizations. A Civilizations which cannot create archer units (making it reliant on siege to counter infantry and archers). A natural consequence would be even such a civ would not have hand cannons like American civs.

A build order practice mode with a completely generic civ having a Chinese like tech tree but with eagles, siege engineers, all eco upgrades but lack all civ bonuses. Lacking Paladins and Siege Onagers is okay, maybe Parthian Tactics too, but all other military options are needed, especially Steppe Lancers and Elephants, which are usually avoided.

3 Likes

Lithuanians are the only civ without at least a historic battle.
Britons, Chinese, Japanese, Persians, Turks, Vikings, Koreans, Mayans, Spanish, Magyars and Slavs all lack their own civilization centered campaign (though Magyars, Slavs, and Turks are all played throughout the Dracula Campaign, and Spanish split time with the Saracens on the El Cid Campaign). All of these civs at least have a historic battle to their name or are featured in some campaign from P1 perspective but without the campaign focusing only on that civ).

Optimally i would release new campaigns for all those civs, but being more optimistic i would go with

1. Chinese, Lithuanians, Japanese, and maybe Koreans as 4 civs to give their own campaigns too.
3 Likes

Adding skeletons and ruins to the random map generator. Also, making the cutscene images for the new campaigns actually look like historical sketches, as was had by the original game.

3 Likes

I didn’t either :frowning: At first, I really liked the events and idea of events, but cutesy profile icons and pretzel or flower projectiles only go so far with me… as we’ve discussed here, which I know you’ve joined in the conversation of:

Profile icons alone don’t do a ton for me, personally, no matter the art style… since I don’t play ranked games, or log into XBox Live (due to chat filter). I appreciate more substantive updates/enhancements as incentives. But that becomes a tough one since players who miss out on the challenges due to personal life commitments feel jaded if they miss out on substantive incentives

1 Like
  • The old soundtrack
  • The old chat messaging sound instead of doorbell
  • The old taunts

Original audio is already available on the mod center uploaded StepS7578 (audio developer) .

Bantu is about as egregious as umbrella civ as Indoeuropeans.

Preferably add Kongolese, Zimbabweans or any other more distinct group.

2 Likes

I looked and see the mods completely replace music/sounds:

• “This is the official “Original Music” mod. This mod replaces all the 30 in-game tracks with original versions, as well as adds 6 randomly-picked expansion opening themes”
  • “This is the official “Original Sounds” mod. After downloading, restart the game for it to apply. This will replace all building and unit sounds, as well as UI sounds (notifications, buttons etc.) with the ones used in the original game.”

… this is not what I’m wanting; I don’t want to replace the new sounds/music completely. I just want the old audio added to the game; and then via in-game Options menu, specify if I want to listen exclusively to the old soundtrack, or new soundtrack, or shuffle tracks between them both, etc. as mentioned here back in March – and not have to worry about installing or uninstalling mods. (Can you even install/uninstall them mid-match?) And for sounds, a simple in-game menu toggle for them as well so it’s easy to flip back and forth between old vs. new. “Definitive Editions” on games sometimes do that… – let the player decide if they want to use the old assets, or new, via menus, hotkeys, or buttons (like in the case of Monkey Island where you can switch on-the-fly)