What would you like to see added to AoE2 in the future?

This is literally balance and maintenance hell, plus the design itself would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming. Imo they’d better abandon AOE4 just to add those civs into the game, which at this point is very difficult to monetise thanks to its “definitive” nature.

This piece of advice I’m very confident will not be considered in AOE2.

Why start again with the same civs for AOE4 though? Seems boring and unnecessary to me. They’d rather add a few civs every 2-3 years for Age 2. Gives them enough time to balance them all.

1 Like

AOE4 is a new game, while pointed towards medieval period. So civ choices are roughly the same anyways. Sneak peak from E3 2019 shows British and Mongol of some sort will be in AOE4, which are two classical AOE2 civ. Being a new game means devs can really try out interesting mechanics, designing a potentially more balanced tech tree etc from the ground up instead of applying patches here and there.

Secondly, Adding more civs to an already ageing Genie Engine will only increase the complexity of AOE2 and make bugs even harder to address, because more failing points. Remember that they just added four new civs, and now people are raging across the forum demanding massive balance overhaul. I can’t imagine how balance demands would rampage had we have 30 more civs.

Oh, and with overwhelming number of civs, so-called “non-logical” settings will spread like plague because there are only so many attack, armor, unit type etc. We would have a unit looking like a cavalry that is classified as infantry while taking bonus damage from ships and villagers. Who knows.

The thing which most people get wrong is that the people which want new civs would want them all at once.

I’m just stating my opinion that a new expansion every 2-3 years would be a nice to get people invested and funding the continued support for this game. This way people get used to them too. Exactly how they did it in the past.

Raging about balance changes didn’t just start with the latest additions. Some people just want the game to be completely changed which I don’t get anyway.

Change my mind but asymmetric civs make games harder to balance, not the opposite. Just look at all the balance complaints for AOE3.

You’re definitely exaggerating there. Just look at the civ additions mod like Realms and Civ Concept LLC mod. There’s still a lot of possibilites for unique units in this game. This is also one of the advantage of historical RTS games compared to Fantasy ones. The units should tell you pretty much immediately the way you have to counter them.

How long will you understand that there are people who are really against the idea of adding new civs even within a given timeframe. I for one would love to see more new civs even though the game is a “Definitive Edition”.

1 Like

I know but I still try to convince them. Anyway, I’m looking forward to the November update, especially the balance changes so far.

If the leaks turn out to be true, I’m really looking forward playing as Bulgarians and Tatars.

How many people would agree with the idea of adding a new civ though? 20k? 50k? Where is the financial incentives? Adding new civs and all that is good, but theres going to be enough incentives for Microsoft to push the envelope further using the ageing Genie Engine.
I more than welcome Microsoft adding new civs to AOE2. I am just saying at the current condition it is highly unlikely unless theres a very strong and clear demand from a lot of people.

I am not. There are threads in this forum regarding Saracen buff/nerf where people are complaining mameluke being categorised as foot archer with archer armor class while looks like any other cavalry. And you know what they call it? “Does not make any sense! Mameluke MUST BE a cavalry and archer armor class MUST BE REMOVED!”. That’s just one unit. Imagine a dozen more civ.

The fact that Mamelukes are weird is since the base game. This has absolutely nothing to do with expansions. Even if Saracens were an expansion civ, not intuitive counters could be told via good tool tips. That’s nothing which couldn’t be teached by the game itself.

2 Likes

Any where I can read up on the bengal military? Also any idea what the mercenary cavalry would be called there?

They can call it belt and road :rofl:

If there were 20k people for whom it would be worth a pound, it would be possible to crowdfund such a thing. Not easy though, someone with power would have to be really passionate.
Does anyone know how the userpatch multiplayer servers were funded?

I think it works be possible to patch up the genie editor, but it would be a lot of work. My problem with it (when modding) wasn’t that it was old, but that the internal game files (the dat file specifically) was a mess. If people want to add at least 4 more civs, I expect it might be worth tidying it up. But again, that’s a hard project which I don’t necessarily expect to happen.

Isn’t this all tech?

so i was afk pretty much all day yesterday moving across town.

can someone give me the 411 on what other changes we now know are confirmed?
any new campaigns?

Squires 15% speed boost
Shotel Warrior -5G
Tatar Sheep Bonus: Each Town Center can spawn 2 sheep only once.
Indians: Stable units recieve +1/2 pierce armor in the Castle/Imperial age

how does that interact with celts? they just get free squires? also nice boost for militia line. think its bull on eagles though.

i’m okay with that.

kind of expected this.

Celts won’t have fast Infantry anymore. Developers have to change their Infantry bonus to 20% rightfully.
They can easily nerf Eagle Warrior speed. I think it’s for UUs and Militia-line mainly.

Lith Halbs might need a nerf too.

true, but will they?

I think they will nerf them accordingly. Othwewise it’s just illogical.

Condos will have 1.38 speed similar too Woads.

They will be as fast as teuton kts now 11

Wikipedia of the Bengali Sultanate - Military Campaigns.