What would you like to see in Myth Retold?

nice choices! but i would like to add two more:

• improved fields (or how its called) where every civ has its unique fields to gahter from
  • myth unit skill addon (or how its called) where behemoth can toss a unit away, caladria unit has a sun beam attack - which are all really nice and feel fitting, hydras heal with attack etc (and makes certain units more interesting or attractive)

also return of the gods mod is really damn cool. even i think military units could and should be improved i like the approach and its the better aztec mod for sure 100%

4 Likes

i agree with most of your points! new untis of EE should be renamed and changed or get rid off i agree. except for the cheat codes - don’t really need them personally but handy for sure.

card system if you like

6 Likes

We still don’t know it AoMR is a Remaster, Remake or Reboot so it is hard to make suggestions.
I wouldn’t suggest a major rework of some game aspects if I knew it’s a Remaster.

Favour rework

• 3/5 civilisations get Favour by building buildings that slowly trickle it. Rather boring.
  • Give more then one way to gain favour to each civilisation.
  • Allow more then just 100 (200 for Zeus) to be stored.
  • Allow us to buy some god powers for favour.

Population rework

• Don’t make all military units cost 2+ population!
  • Don’t make the house limit so low that you need to build lots of Town Centres to even get to 200 population.
  • I’m pretty sure that the low population in AoM was mostly for technical reason, as it was one of the first 3D RTS back then. But now computers are a lot more powerful.

Bring back Stone

• I know this is a big one.
  • Stone is needed to balance defence and offence.
  • Strong Mythological Units need to be able to face strong defences that they can tear down.

Remake the Titans

• Titans are boring big bullet sponges.
  • Give a unique super unit that fits the mythology instead of a Titan for everyone.
  • Give them unique features like summoning smaller units (like the Prometheus Titan in the campaign).
  • Make them less tanky but give us ways to heal them and also train them again once they died. Maybe let villagers pray to them to heal them. Should cost Favour.
  • Let them walk through water. They are completely useless on Island maps atm. They are definitely big enough to make that look good.
  • Maybe give us the choice between 3 “Titans” for each civilisation. This way there could be one that is focused on water for example.
29 Likes

Sry for posting again. But God, if you guys are to add new civs PLEASE ADD TENGRI CIV. A tengri civ would be really fitting and would add another layer to the already existing civs. Tengri mythology also extend so far and wide that you devs can pick and choose what to keep and what not to. For the civilizations name? You could add huns because there is a really good chance they belived in tengrism, if huns seem too obscure add mongols or turks (they definetly belived in tengri).

2 Likes

I hope not. That entire system in AoEIII was one of the worst things about that game. It seems like the devs moved away from that design in AoEIV.

10 Likes

Completely agree on this, the game is good but doesn’t feel like an AoE… Please bring back Arkantos, and don’t include any woke sh!t.

10 Likes

This was a great game, I am so glad that you guys are putting effort in it.

I feel like the water are often neglected by the devs in AOE/AOM, I think you could consider more types of ships and more water-related mechanics.

For example, let say we have a shallow water and deep water terrain, aztec villagers with upgrades could swim in tge shallow water. Furthermore, fishing ship could lay(build) underwater spike on shallow water which is stealth to the enemy and deal one-time damage to enemy ships.

I appreciate new campaigns, new civs just like the others, but I truly believe that more mechanics would be the key to make the game last long.

4 Likes

A graphic retouching of the classic AOM and AOM: Age of Titans campaign would be the thing that would determine if I buy Myth Retold or not. Additionally, more addition to the campaign, following the narrative would be greatly appreciated. Age of Empires 2 DE has done amazing additional campaigns, it would be nice to see the same for AoM.

The Chinese Mythology DLC was a disappointment, and I would expect that to be included free of charge in Myth Retold, and touched up from top to bottom - especially the extremely lacklustre God powers and graphics.

5 Likes

In terms of the big 3 civs: they’re really good as they are, so I don’t think there’s any need for major changes. They’re very… 80s and 90s, in a way, with the Egyptians showing very strong The Mummy influence and the Greeks owing a lot to Harryhausen films, but that’s not such a terrible thing. Maybe a rework of the way walls and sieges work would be cool (e.g. ability to put troops on walls and units constructing siege weapons). I don’t care about the Atlanteans or Titans at all.

I would like there to be more civs, but perhaps for balance’s sake if the team were adding many new civs then it might be best to revamp the major gods system. Instead of each civ having 3 major gods, these gods would become tied to ages. Perhaps there would be a choice of three per age instead of two. Having many civs with three major gods would be fine for single player but very tricky for MP.

If there are new civs, ideally these would be ones where there is a large body of historical source material to draw on. There should be plenty of myths to utilise and information about the militaries and daily lives of the people from these periods.

The strongest candidates are probably Mesopotamian, Persian, Roman, Japanese, Indian (Vedic?), Aztec, Hawaiian. Weak source material but very popular: Irish (you could call it Celtic for exposure), Slavic. Interesting and possible but probably not very commercial: Tengrist, Korean, Inca, Maya, Phoenician, Hittite. If you ever want to consult on the Ancient Near Eastern mythologies let me know :wink:

1 Like

Well a major rehaul of the chinese expansion would be nice. Fixing up the campaign, having the myth units not be reskins of others.

A lot of the player base is hoping for another expansion too, aztecs, celts or any other mythology rich civ would be great.

And obviously there’s a few bugs that it would be good to fix up. Things like the AI not attacking on Jackals stronghold.

4 Likes
  • I would enjoy more civs, including twin civs : greek/roman, celt/norse, japan/china, meso/persia, etc. and Mythic civs : Mu, Lemuria, etc. I don’t see any problem if they were to be release in DLC over the years. I’ll pay for it.

• A proper & modern match-making system with votemap, stats, rank, servers (P2P bad), etc.

• More campaigns, even if small, The Golden Gift is the idea. Could be a great way to narrate myth stories for scholars, think what Assassins Creed did with their eggy game.

• Ask Voobly community for the competitive aspects of the game (I don’t play there, I just watch the tourneys they do)

• Make the game community-powered : easy modding, community tournaments, etc.

8 Likes

Higher pop limits and removing the limit on buildings.

6 Likes

AOM was one of the first games I really got into and got me into enjoying Mythology as a whole, have since read books and overall been interested in mythology. When I saw AOE4 was released the first thing I did was check if AOM got a remake or not yet so I’m SUPER pumped that it’s coming finally!

I think AOE4 is excellent so some of the changes from AOE4 would be beneficial like having to build stone walls versus just upgrading all wooden walls to stone walls, having to upgrade arrow slits for each individual tower vs getting them for every tower with one upgrade etc.

The biggest thing I want however is new pantheons/civs. My top choice would be an Aztec/Mayan/Teotihuacan. That culture was so heavily based on their beliefs, deity’s that having them in AOE2 without myth units almost feels half baked.

Otherwise a good graphics overhaul would be the only other thing I really look forward to

3 Likes

Visual consistency between pre calamity Atlanteans, meaning the buildings and people of Atlantis during “Fall of the Trident”, and post calamity Atlanteans, meaning the Atlanteans, that were added in The Titans, and “New Atlantis” was about.
So it makes more sense that they are the same people. Originally they swapped ethnicity, language, armour design, clothing, arcitecture… They don’t have to be the same, gameplay wise. But they should resemble each other enough.

Also, a small thing among the Norse: Two things, but essentially the same thing.
Gatherers can be turned into ulfsarks. Dwarfs grow to human size, females change #### Make them change into dwarf-versions and female versions of Ulfsarks instead, or different units matching ### and species.
Also, what type of Ragnarök hero a gatherer turns into, male, female or dwarf, is random. Could it be made to match what the gatherer originally was?

What I’m suggesting are purely cosmetic things so far.
Last things won’t be purely cosmetic.
The build limits, like 10 houses, 1 monument of each type, I-haven’t-counted-how-many towers. Except for wonders and titan gates, could you make them per town center, instead of absolute, please?
And that hard cap of 300 pop, could you please remove it, or at the very least greatly increase it? I think tripple would be fine.
Oh, and something I saw on a game called Empire Earth. Animals reproducing. Like if at least two animals of the same type stand close together for a certain amount of time, a baby will spawn, that will grow up, and like that, a population of animals can recover over time, if not hunted or slaughtered extensively.
This would turn animals, both tamable and wild, into a viable food source.

If you made it possible for troops to stand on the walls, like in #### ## Stronghold, it would be nice and make my cities look more epic, but if that’s not possible, that’s okay too.

Another small addition via edit. Atlantean citizens are OP, not needing dropoff points, and them having those donkeys with them at all times is immersion breaking. Just as a bit of feedback. I’m not saying anything about the Chinese, because I can’t say anything that hasn’t been said yet.

1 Like

From a realistic perspective, I would expect to see all the original cultures make their comeback, and please do not rework them, they’re fine the way they are. Of course I want to keep the chinese but they need a serious rework (myth units, god powers, god portraits). Furthermore:

• please value QUALITY OVER QUANTITY! Do not add 2-3 cultures in a single DLC. Each culture has 3 main gods with unique bonuses wich in a way already represent 3 civs! We’ve been satisfied for 25 years with only 4 cultures, so 1 additionnal culture every few months (or year!) is more than enough.

• why not add a fourth major god to all original civ? Without touching the existing ones of course. That would give them a breath of fresh air and replay value.

• please keep the artistic UI. I don’t want to see some tasteless UI like in aoe4 PLEASE!

• maybe some balancing, improved pathfinding, AI, etc…

• and finally, please, BOLT SHOULD insta-kill son of osiris and niddhog like in the original game! That was a part of zeus and that should always be that way.

8 Likes

I played AoM from the alpha test until 2004. Several things disappointed me back then that caused me to leave the game.

-Not enough civs
-The choice of Atlantis as a new civ
-The introduction of Titans.

I never understood the choice of Atlantis since the existence of it was merely legend. The gods in the game were all borrowed from Greece. So, I’d convert Atlantis into a real civilization like Rome or Macedonia.

• consider ancient empires with rich pantheons such as Babylon or Persia.
    -Also,keep the option in game for no titans that EE has. I really believe Titans ruined the fun that was in the game prior to their introduction. But I know not everyone feels that way so having a choice is nice.

-Adding random environmental atmosphere would really help things feel more immersive. Like wind, storms, thunder, fog, rain, snowstorms….etc would be fun.

-Another idea is increasing the pop cap which I believe was originally added due to graphical limitations.

-The chat system needs an overhaul in game and in the lobby.

-VOIP would be incredible. An easier way to add people in game to a friends list would be welcome.

-Other than that bug fixes, balance changes and overhauling the multiplayer are the biggest issues the game needs. EE is a buggy unbalanced mess. The current multiplayer is terrible and worse than ESO ever was.

5 Likes
  • Remove town centers limitation, make them freely buildable like in AoE titles
  • Rework Chinese expansion
  • Quality of life improvements (basically everything AoE 2 has)
  • Updated graphics (obviously)
  • Multiplayer with both QP and Ranked matchmaking
  • Mod support like in AoE 2 (not like in AoE 3 & AoE 4, i.e. without serious limitations)
  • Keep the old menus as far as possible (with full HD textures), do not do a complete rework like for the other definitive editions. The old menus have their charm and it’s a shame the AoE 2 menu is what it is today.
  • New content like 1-2 new gods with a campaign would be nice (for example add Romans)
  • Fix multiplayer lag caused by players with slow computers & connections. This should only affect the respective player himself
  • A responsive chat without a terrible profanity filter
  • Map editor with some QoL improvements
12 Likes

First of all, thank you for announcing Age of Mythology: Retold! I’m sure I can speak for many in saying that we are all incredibly excited by the prospect of such a beloved game receiving the definitive edition treatment!

I’m sure this thread will be full of many differing and conflicting opinions, so I can only offer what I personally hope to see in Age of Mythology: Retold.

1. Add new pantheons/civilisation(s), complete with unique myth units and god powers. I think this is essential in pushing players to repurchase the game, as new content always breathes fresh life. My personal top picks would be Aztec/Maya, Indian/Hindu, and Sumer or other Mesopotamian civilisation. At least 1 should be available on release, with more that could be added later in DLC should the game be successful financially.

2. Retain Atlantean and Chinese pantheons, but rework their mechanics and graphics according to fan feedback. Both civilisations feel too technologically advanced for the time period, even if the former is purely fictional. The Chinese naval units are also in dire need of a visual overhaul, and I would love to see tower ships added to their arsenal.

3. Enhance the visuals of the game and the UI, but retain the aspects of them that made the original Age of Mythology so charming. Strike a balance between realism and readability, and remaster god portraits but in the same style as the old ones.

4. Remove single use limit on many god powers and replace with a recharge system that scales based on how powerful the ability is. This would encourage the use of god powers more in game, and be less punishing to players who use them inefficiently. Obviously powers like the plenty vault would need to remain limited to 1 use however.

5. Remove settlements from the game and allow players to build their town centers freely around the map, as is the case in Age of Empires. This system has always felt unnecessarily restrictive and I believe its erasure could open up many more interesting gameplay opportunities.

6. Increase the population limit to allow for larger-scale battles. With modern hardware, there is no need for this number to be as low as it is.

7. Keep and expand upon the way that researched upgrades are reflected on the models of your units and buildings. Take inspiration from popular Steam Workshop mods by Nick3069.

8. Remastered the original campaign, and rework the Fall of the Trident and Tale of the Dragon campaigns into 1 singular narrative, in addition to implementing any further civilisations that may be added in Retold. Retain the charm of the voice acting and cinematics of the original campaign.

13 Likes

Please give us a proper multiplayer system (not P2P), but rather server-based.

3 Likes