What would you like to see in Myth Retold?

I want it to not end up being low quality trash like EE that goes completely unsupported.
I want stable MP systems so we do not constantly desync.
I want the TOTD expansion to be remade from scratch, rebalanced completely, made proper models etc.
I want the game to remain supported and not dropped when you #### ## and act like the players and game does not exist.
I want EE owners to get this one for free since we got scammed with EE.

4 Likes

I am a casual player and play with a group of 6 again casuals all on AOE 2 definitive edition atm.

Here are absolute deal breakers for Age of mythology retold and where it will be picked up by us:

• It needs a much higher pop cap than current age of mythology ← this is KEY . Us casuals LOVE going to late game and massing epic units for huge end game battles !
  • We like to base build so remove building number restrictions ← this is KEY . Us casuals LOVE to build bases for an hour that are epic before we fight !
  • Better graphics (duh)
  • We would prefer to be able to place town centres where-ever (not essential though)

That’s about it - the rest of the game could be stable and we would play ! Not sure if this is there but massive maps in editor are also nice.

15 Likes

Maybe some new units could be given to the existing civilisations. I created a post the 19th July where I suggested that the Greeks, Egyptians and the Norse could get some new units. Of course that also means that both the Chinese and the Atlanteans could get new units as well, I was considering of making another post for new unit concepts for these two civilisations but I just forgot to do that.

(New Units that could be Given to the Original 3 Civilisations: for the Definitive Edition of [Age of Mythology] - #3 by Bramkurtzio)

There were some other things that I wanted to include in the original post that I ##### but I unfortunately ran out of time to edit my post. Therefore I am going to include the message that I later posted, which concerned further details for some of my unit suggestions, in this reply.

1 Like

suggestions(some of them are things that I have been read here:

• Keep the original game design, units, buildings, fixed town centers, UX design
  • Improve game networking, the Extended edition code is outdated (there are a lot of desync bugs, lag, stuttering, etc). pls give us something as good as AOE4 networking
  • Increase population limit
  • Remastered graphics and effects
  • Balance changes, you can check Voobly patches 5.0
  • Please don’t include chinese expansion or at least do some rework about that, Extend edition was awful
  • Maybe something controversial “remove auto production” at least from military productions, villagers production is a no brain decision auto production could be good here
  • Qol changes. Fix atack move
  • Rebalance maps from multiplayer
  • Multiplayer leagues, seasons. Observer UI, ability to rejoin or reload a multiplayer game. Good communication infrastructure to add friend and interact. (very important)
  • Powerful editor with mod support.
  • remove or change the new units added to the base 3 Civs with EE. They felt out of place with original civ design.
14 Likes

take aom as inspiration, don’t copy it exactly or put too much emphasis in being the same game. improve what can be improved for a better game.

focus on fun intense gameplay, and cool units and abilities. the flashier and more exciting the better. big impact moments for the key powers. aom should be about having a great time. if your playtest the game and aren’t having fun or being frustrated, change it.

a living breathing varied map, more similar to aoe3 then aoe2. if the map can have dramatic changes during gameplay through powers or map mechanics, even better.

consider going for myth outside of the ancient era, such as the Aztec, Japanese or medieval European fantasy. the Norse and Chinese are already close to this.

a ######## ### if you can have the game be in the same engine as aoe4 and reuse/share some of the assets to reduce storage, that’s a plus. being able to quickly switch between aoe4 and aom right in the menu would be great. but if it messes with your vision or making a great game don’t bother.

I think, what you are missing is that Retold is not a completely new game made from the ground up, but giving AoM the EE treatment, good Sir or Madam.
This is advice they can take if they make AoM2.

3 Likes

I think AOMR can use AOE4 Engine and AOE 3DE UI, But of course in AOM style.

Everything in AOM are outdated, reuse AOE4 and AOE3DE is the most easiest way to success.

I think the pop system need big changes. First step is reducing all inf cav, arc, inf by 1 pop, and then reducing the impact of losing TC. If you lose a TC, -1 and emery +1 TC make it a big difference. The snowball effect is too big to handle.

We might have some wild temples with mini gods for map control purposes. If we control the temples, we can train some special no pop myths unit / god power / gain some buffs or something like that.

1 Like

Maybe Turco-Mongols?

I agree with almost everything in this comment. About the new major and minor gods I think I would rather have 3 options for minors each age than have 2 options and new major gods.

The hydra really needs improvements both in visual and gameplay, the current hydra doesn’t feel really rewarding to use in long term because you barely have a chance to get more than 2 heads, if at least the head amount increase with assists as well and maybe with damage taken (as the hydra in the mythology would grow 2 heads when you take 1 out). It being a poison based unity is a very nice idea too.

One thing I thought about and imo is a really nice touch to the game is the effects of using the gods power, the ones like earth quake and meteor should change the terrain, earth quake could raise a small hill or desapear with a mountain and the meteor should actually make a crater rather than just putting a texture. Also I think the titan’s special attacks (the heavy stomp) should make a small crater.

Infantry and boats could have ranks, each increased rank would increase health and damage but armor stats would only increase with upgrades. Each rank would change the unit’s visual like having a more ornamented armor.

In the main menu we currently have 4 different backgrounds, the 2 classic ones no available in EE, the base EE background and the Chinese DLC background, let us choose which background we want. The same goes for the UI style.

A thing I’ve seen in some comments and agree on is, either let some gods power recharge or let us buy them with favor, personally I prefer the first as sometimes I am there sitting at max favor because I have full pop and have nothing else to do with that favor.

4 Likes

First off, THANK YOU. It’s amazing we get a new AoM.

My recommendation would be to follow the footsteps of AoE 1&2 DE.
Make the game great for new and old players. Modernizing what needs to be while keeping everything that still works/makes the game great.

A great way to do that would be the ability to enable/disable features/content so that everyone can be happy.
Don’t like one of the new races? You can disable it, same with titans, and anything else you may add/remove to the game.

Co-op scenarios and campaigns would be incredible which leads me to my last recommendation…

Make the most of this opportunity. I want this to be like AoE 2, even better like Total War and Paradox games. Give me multiple DLCs per year for 5 years plus.

New playable factions, new gods, new units, new campaigns, new maps, new game mods, there are a multitude of ways to add to this game and keep players coming back over and over again.

You can use some of the great modders in the community to help create scenarios, implement co-op etc.
I’m sure a lot of us would love to contribute to seeing this game grow into what we dreamt it could be.

I hope that is why you mean by “retold”. There is so many myths that could make a great AoM campaign I hope we get to see them all in official content. A lot of the “silent” community is soloplayer that just wants to enjoy the game at its own pace and experience great stories.

Plus creating new ones like the original campaign which is to this day my favorite campaign of all time. I’ve played it so many times, I love the story, the cut scenes and the level design, I’m sure many of us would be happy to purchase such content over and over again, like we already did (multiple CD versions, EE and now retold)

7 Likes

I for one wouldn really like some improvements to the scenerio editor. As is it’s barely more than a map editor.

Additionally I find myself not using Myth units that often. I’d like them to be better in other words, as they are a big part of what makes aom unique.

4 Likes

If I had to sum it up in a sentence or two, I would say don’t ruin it, and do for us what you did for AOE II. Don’t give people a reason to hate it, or a reason to prefer playing the original.

But but to try and make that more specific-

Single Player/General

-Generally updated graphics and quality of life improvements

-Improved and updated AI, while keeping a “Titan”-esque AI option for those who want it.

-Updated UI and visuals that modernize it, but that honors the artistic style of the original game. Different isn’t always better. Give us an improved version of what we have, not just something that tries to look cool for it’s own sake.

-Don’t take away anything we already have. Cheats, taunts, customizable hotkeys, etc. Don’t give us a new game that has less than the old one.

-Improved modding, casting, and replay options/resources.

-I think this will be a theme throughout this, but don’t fundamentally change the game. It will fracture the community instead of unifying it. Looking here I can already see a litany of ideas for substantial changes. Some of them I like, some of them I hate. But few if any of would really find widespread support. You will never find consensus on what would make this game perfect. If you give us an improved version of what we already have, though it might not be “perfect”, we will love it. If you fundamentally change the game, those who you end up catering to will love it, and everyone else will reject it, ruining the whole thing. Do what you did for AOE II, update and modernize the game, but stay faithful to what the game is. Give us AoM DE, not AoM 1.5.

Campaign

-For a lot of players, the original campaign, its story, and its characters are the soul of this game. Updated graphics, quality of life changes, and spectacular remastered/redone cut scenes which remain faithful to the original story will be loved. Changing the voices of iconic and beloved characters will be hated. Significant story line changes will be despised and probably rejected. Update the game play where appropriate, but don’t change the story or rewrite the characters people fell in love with.

-Add new campaigns. One additional 10 level campaign at launch would be nice (and a new 30 mission one would be even better). But I fully believe the community would happily embrace well done campaigns as DLC’s. BUT, they need to be good. The need polish. They need to be reasonably bug free. And they need to connect to the original story/characters. AOM isn’t like the other AOE games, which have campaigns that tell historical stories. AOM’s story is of its own making, and it is its characters that bring it to life. Cut them out, and to a significant portion of the community, the game loses its soul. New characters are great, but they need to tie into the foundation that’s already there.

-If you keep China, redo its campaign from scratch, and give it a story that directly incorporates the original story and/or characters (or their children, etc.). There are a myriad of ways to do this, and I am not going to presume to write a narrative for it. But its not hard to do at all, and will make all the difference.

Multiplayer

-Keep all four original civilizations - Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and Atlantean - and keep them intact. Do not change them in any fundamental way. Re-balancing is to be expected, but cutting the Atlanteans, or fundamentally changing any of these civilizations, will push people away from the game and fragment the community.

-China is more complicated. Many hate the faction, but a fair chunk of people like it too. If you had to cut something, China would be the thing to cut. If you wanted to rework something from scratch, China would be the thing to rework. They don’t have the same investment from the community that the others do. If you cut or rework China, some people will be disappointed. If you cut or completely rework one of the others, many will simply reject Retold all together. If you can keep them and make them work, great. But if something has to get chopped, start here.

-Better multiplayer networking to manage lag.

-Multiplayer system similar to AOE II or now AOE IV, with full features, modes, unlockables, etc.

-Improved performance and optimization. Many longtime players don’t have higher end PC’s, make the game so they can still play without turning the game into a power point presentation; give us settings and options to accommodate a wide range of PC’s. I have a high end PC, but would hate to see others cut out by system recs.

-New and improved maps. The community has already done amazing things with the old map scripts. Incorporate what they learned from years or modding experience building good maps for this game. And maybe throw in a few new ones for good measure.

High Quality Release

-A LOT of people felt burned by EE/TOTD, and still have very hard feelings. We have heard horror stories about peoples hard drives being wiped by AOE III DE. Release now and fix later will turn a lot of people off very quickly. No release will be perfect. But no horror stories. And nothing that pushes one to think they are better off with an older version than the new one. I don’t know that I can overstate the importance of this.

New Civs

-New Civs/Cultures, etc. would be awesome. But only if done well. AoM’s asymmetry and general polish makes it harder to do than in say AOE II, but it’s what the community wants and expects. A new high quality addition would be amazing. But getting nothing would be better then getting a low quality addition. And the resources better spent on improving the quality of everything else.

Just my 2 cents…

19 Likes

As a more casual player that’s been playing since this games inception I love the current population and settlement system. I don’t want that to be overhauled, maybe adjusted to let you get closer to around 200 pop easier though. 3 settlement system is also good, 4 for larger maps. I’m also a fan of the artificial caps of certain building and units, I never liked how crazy wild it felt like AOE2 game got with how many buildings and units were created and have always liked Mythology for this reason.

I would also love new civilizations such as the Aztecs, and a reworking of the Chinese civilizations. Along with this I’d like new campaigns and perhaps co-op campaigns. New maps for multiplayer too!
I’d also like the AI see some improvements to feel a bit more challenging, there’s lots of us players that like to play against the AI and in campaigns as well!

I like the current graphical style of the game and would like that to be kept faithful in this Age retold. I’d also like to see certain myth units rebalanced such as hydras among others.

5 Likes

Please don’t exclude the Titans expansion from the definitive edition. I am confident you’re gonna make a great job!

3 Likes

Two cents, here we go.

While a lot of opinions will be out and about about adding new civs (which would be nice) and balance (for which I am woefully underqualified), I would suggest a powerful scenario or campaign editor that allows the community to keep going strong after active development has stopped. When I say powerful, I mean beefy enough to be able to replicate the entire Fall of the Trident campaign, The Golden Gift, and The New Atlantis (I’ll get to Tale of the Dragon shortly). Part of the great joys I had from the original AoM were the community creations, and giving these room to go strong is a win-win for everyone.

Hell, if you make a powerful enough editor tool the community might be able to introduce people to other fictive mythologies. AoM/AoE has an element of education to it - enable us to lean into it as well

Secondly, should you decide to add new civs I would suggest adding a Hindu / buddhist civ and an Assyrian (Persian) / Zoroastrian civ, and then reworking the Tale of the Dragon into something more akin to the Journey to the West - complete with a Hindu and an Assyrian part to the campaign to mirror Fall of the Trident. This would also function as a great introduction to these oft-unknown mythologies, which AoM also functioned as for me for the Greek, Norse, and Egyptian mythologies.

Other than that, here’s a few things to keep:

• The Atlantean civ and changes made in the The Titans expansion. My name, in part, comes from Zeus’ Myrmidon unit and I loved swarming them late game from the Barracks. Even a few changes made in EE are enjoyable to me.
  • The Settlement system, and the way that the population cap worked. Replacing an army was a calculated risk, and big monster mashes can easily be made into their own game mode with a powerful enough editor and dev support.
  • Triangle balancing. Heroes beat Myth beat Human beat Heroes with siege as the outlier was simple to understand and added room for creating your own playstyles and preferences

And lastly

• Don’t insist on making a 1/1 re-creation of the old Age of Mythology with a new coat of paint; embrace the mischief and creativity that working with mythologies affords you. Fall of the Trident was a great campaign because it embraced the tongue-in-cheekness of a Greek hero telling a Norse god to stand still so he could shoot him with a ballista remains a golden moment.
6 Likes

Also dont ruin pathing.
Please dont ruin pathing again its a mess.

1 Like

Smooth gameplay is the main thing for me.

• Reducing lag wherever possible
  • Improve unit path finding, e.g how currently a titan can be path blocked by 1 unit
  • remove the EE only units like kopesh
  • try and fix the bugs: centaurs sliding forward when using special shot, pharaoh sometimes unable to garrison when attacking etc.
3 Likes

I would like to see a Mac release of the game like the original. Apple Silicon Macs have a decent GPU and can handle a lot more that before.

3 Likes

Thank you. My ideas:

1. Building a landmark to age up system in aoe4 is great and could be implemented in AOM.
  2. Eliminate minor god exclucivity, which is anti fun. Posidon should be able to pick Hera if he wants.
  3. Allow god powers to be reused with cooldown and favor cost. Too often when i play i hold back on god powers until the best possible moment.
2 Likes

100% need to remove the artificial cap on building limits, towers, gardens, etc. Also the ability to bump the population cap up to 500 like in Aoe2 would be nice

5 Likes