Where is the support?

Where do we give game reviews, is it just on Steam where we do that?

My biggest complaint so far is that you can’t use the Scenario Editor to successfully add a map to the Instruction Screen like you can in AOE1(original version). The AOE DE Editor has a entry box for it in the Cinematics menu, but it is not actually effective. Someone who had worked with the developers in the past told me that it does not have the “wires” in the User Interface to connect what you put into the map entry box in the Editor with any actual map .bmp file on your computer. In other words, it sounds like this tool was left uncompleted.

AOE1 (original version) has actually had lots of good, important patches over the last 20 years since it came out, by comparison. For example, it has three official patches (the last being 1.0c) and it has an Expansion pack (ROR) that also has a patch version (1.0A). Most people play ROR 1.0A online. On top of all that, there are lots of strong utilities like ROCKNROR Mod and CustomizeAOE, as well as the UPTACH HD 1.1 Mod from 2011-2014, which is currently on “version 4”.

1 Like

GOG here means Good Old Games, which is a digital games retailer like Steam. But GOG, which is owned by CD Projek (makers of the Witcher and CyberPunk games), only sell games without DRM in them.

As the name suggests, they have a focus on older games. They get rights to resell games that you often can’t buy anywhere else anymore, and they update them to work properly on modern OSes, then they sell the updated package of those games through their store.

They also often include extras with their games, like a digital version of the original manual, the soundtrack, official artwork, and whatever else they can get their hands on.

Here’s GOG’s website: https://www.gog.com/

I recommend searching on it for some old games and seeing what you find.

3 Likes

I believe you can also review the game having bought the game from the Microsoft store.

2 Likes

You can and I gave it a really positive review too.

2 Likes

I am tempted to give you the name and link for the “©2020 San Pedro Software Inc.” website that I mentioned that is selling AOE:ROR for download. Specifically, you need to buy membership on their website and then you get access to their games. It seems like a good quality site, but I don’t know if they have a license. My guess is that the “San Pedro” website hasn’t changed AOE:ROR to fix the bugs it has on Win 10.

But there are only two AOE:ROR bugs on WIN 10 that come to mind anyway. One is that the colored flags don’t show up in the Diplomacy menu, and the second bug is that the Message fields in the Editor are all black but flicker white sometimes, so you mostly have to copy and paste text into them instead of drafting Messages there directly.

You really shouldn’t give your credit card details to a website as sketchy as “©2020 San Pedro Software Inc.” If you really want the original RoR just look it up EBay or Craigslist and buy an old CD. I would only trust my credit card details with GOG, Steam and Microsoft Store.

You can review on Steam if you spend at least $5 on a game.

3 Likes

Yes, I have spent that much on Steam. Maybe San Pedro will take checks. However, I can’t recommend them from any experience.

1 Like

I think that Microsoft should make AOE:ROR easily downloadable on Steam for a nominal fee like $1-6. After all, AOE:DE has gone on sale temporarily for about $6-11. CDs are clunky and take longer to use because the PC has to “mount” or run the CDs when starting the game or switching music tracks. AOE:ROR is better than a lot of games on Steam in terms of graphics quality.

There are a couple glitches in AOE:ROR on Windows 7 and 10, but the company Programmers could fix it.

3 Likes

If you have the Age of Empires Collector’s Edition, you don’t need the CD to run the game.

1 Like

The photo for that 3 CD collection shows the AOE1 CD to be the “Gold Edition.”
https://www.ebay.com/c/1342609453

And the Gold Edition does not require a CD.

However, the Gold Edition installs AOE:ROR 1.0, and when you install the official AOE:ROR 1.0A patch, it changes the .exe so that it demands inserting a CD to run. I don’t know if Voobly gives you a free NO-CD 1.0A patch upgrade.

Perhaps I am mistaken about something.

1 Like

“No-CD patches are already applied; the DVD is only necessary for installation - which ensures compatibility with modern operating systems; and all games are fully patched to their latest versions.”
Source: Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game

1 Like

I check for updates on the game using SteamDB every now and then. Some days ago I found this:

I wish we could access the Microsoft final build to try-out the new stuff.

3 Likes

This for??
20 characters

Well, if they are taking this long to give us any update because they are working on a single, big and final one, then I accept it :hugs:

But I would like to know what “channel” means there!

3 Likes

Chickenland,
You originally wrote: “If you have the Age of Empires Collector’s Edition, you don’t need the CD to run the game.”
I answered that the photo for that 3 CD collection shows the AOE1 CD to be the “Gold Edition.” However, the Gold Edition installs AOE:ROR 1.0, and when you install the official AOE:ROR 1.0A patch, it changes the .exe so that it demands inserting a CD to run.

In response, you quoted an AOE2 webpage saying that “No-CD patches are already applied; the DVD is only necessary for installation.”

This does not address the problem that the original AOE1 “Collector’s Edition”/“Gold Edition” only installs AOE:ROR 1.0 and requires the CD after you install the latest ROR 1.0A patch. Probably 90% of AOE:ROR gamers on Gameranger use ROR 1.0A, the latest version.

To be fair, I actually LOVE this game. Truly.

The graphics are gorgeous, the sounds are pretty, the music is IMO the best in the whole series. The gameplay has also been improved quite a lot compared to the original, and nowadays is much more enjoyable than before.

But sure, there are so much things that could be improved and would MAKE AOE 1 GREAT AGAIN like new awesome Civs, new units, formations, etc. etc.

I really hope the Devs will someday give this game the love it deserves and that we as a community deserve. Definitive Edition is awesome, but it need to be awesome-r.

9 Likes

Hype? I will stay carefully optimistic.

4 Likes

Sorry, but what mean this?

Can’t say for sure, but it looks like it may be some kind of update that the devs are still doing final tests on.

3 Likes