Which factions do you thin should be added... from Late Antiquity?

I meant “ancient Persians”… for example, some Italians share a little DNA with Romans, but they aren’t Romans. Iranians were Persians, now they are Iranians.

1 Like

With that logic no one was the same people/culture.

1 Like

Voted Saxons, among others because they could be a new civ similar to vikings; they were skilled seafarers and controlled much of the Northern European seas. Infantry/naval civ that lasted for a long time. Saxons held the British Isles up to 1066 and the state of Saxony survived until 1871 (or even today), though it’s ofcourse much different from the tribes Charlemagne fought.

Also Armenians are a good one.

1 Like

Many “Iranians” who fled after 1979 still consider themselves Persians. Hence they have Persian restaurants etc. Iranians only became a national name after the current fundamentalist regime came to power.

1 Like

No thats not true. Iran has been the official name of the country for a long time and before that it was the name the people of Persia used to refer to their country

3 Likes

I thought the Saxons were represented by the Britons.

2 Likes

They are represented by the Goths in the campaign

Although honestly adding an alternate British civ would honestly be quite pointless

1 Like

They are Goths in the Hastings scenario, and to be honest the Goths civ in many ways represents Saxons better than it does actual Goths. Britons mostly represent England post William the Conqueror and, to some degree, Wales (at least it’s better at representing Welsh people than the Celts faction I guess…) One could say that it only represents correctly England in the late Middle Ages, when the longbow became an English specialty (before being adopted by other countries including France) and English economy shift from a focus on crops to one on sheeps and wool.

2 Likes

Thanks Temudhun again for the poll!
IF any civ is about to be added - which is debatable -, then I voted for Romans (name recognition, presence in existing campaigns with Centurion and Legionary) and Armenians. The latter are the only ones at least a bit relevant in both ancient and medieval times over a long timespan (many centuries apart), while the others are only ancient or only medieval (e.g. Göktörk which is an idea for an Asia DLC).

1 Like

You’re welcome, I wanted to do this one for a long time and I’m happy to see it got some positive reactions!
Funnily enough I didn’t vote for the Armenians myself, not because I don’t want them in the game (they’re one of the main important remaining factions in my opinion) but because I thought they shouldn’t be put in a dlc whose theme is Late Antiquity.

4 Likes

The Lombards (Latin langobardi, from which the alternative name Longobards comes) were a Germanic people originally from northern Europe who settled in the Danube valley and from there invaded Byzantine Italy in AD 568. C. under the leadership of Alboino. They established the Lombard kingdom of Italy, which lasted until AD 774. C., when it was conquered by the Franks.

Sure, Tamar the Great from Georgia and Ashot I from Armenia…

1 Like

Either you read my concept on the wiki or I’m just on the same wavelength as everyone else.

Everybody suggested this tamar campaign from the start.

Yeah, it seems that way. Funny thing is, I think I had read very few suggestions before I learned about her, so it was something I came up with mostly in isolation. The other potential subject of a Georgia campaign is David the Builder, and I’m sure at least some people have suggested him.

1 Like

I would prefer they would hire the Romae Ad Bellum developers and make it an official game mode next to the classic AoE2DE and soon AoE1DE game modes. Bridging the gap between those 2.

What now become AoE2DE started as the Forgotten Empires fan mod too.

2 Likes

I think we’re talking about different things. Romae Ad Bellum mostly focuses on the Roman Republic and early Empire, if I’m not mistaken. If you look at the civs I proposed, you’ll notice Carthaginians or Macedonians/the various Diadochi kingdoms are missing. That’s because I chose to focus on Late Antiquity, a period starting in the 3rd or 4th century AD depending on who you ask and often cosidered as spilling into the Middle Ages. Even including the factions from the Crisis of the Third Century was quite a stretch on my part.
As for the Romae Ad Bellum team, from what I’ve seen they’re not even trying to do an AoE1DE, they don’t even include the Bronze Age civs nor the East Asians ones. Not that I think it’s a bad idea, just it’s an entirely different thing.

mod is still heavily WIP. Also I think its better to iron out few civs than moving to other side later on. I am still somewhat positive that they will add future factions let’s say Chinese, Indians and Africans civs

Considering that they also have the Celts and the Roman Empire (next to the Republic) I think they cover the time from 500 BC to 500 AD pretty well already.
The game also starts in the “Iron Age” the last Age or AoE1.
The game obviously has some overlap with both AoE1 and AoE2, since even AoE1 and AoE2 overlap.

Anyway the mod is awesome and should become an official standalone DLC.

1 Like

I think Britons only represent the Saxons that settled on the British Isles, the Saxons in Germania aren’t really included yet. Though yes you might say they are represented by Goths with the Huskarl UU.

Iirc Goths were actually famed for being notorious pirates in the Black Sea and Eastern Mediterranean at first, and for their very heavy cavalry later (for example in the battle of Adrianople).

1 Like

I’d love to see the Yemenis (Himyar) and the Alans!!

Who wouldn’t want to play as a hardcore opulent Jewish kingdom? Hopefully with Rabbi UU’s. Heavy armored camels, extra strong walls (per the dam).
16075029695fd08c790aff9

And Who wouldn’t want to play as an Orthodox Christian sedentary Scythian kingdom! (The Alans). of course, all the Caucuses cultures would be cool though.

440px-Храм_Архыз_2

1 Like