Whitout projectle travel distance and speed that leads to accuracy, this game cannot be a truly competitive one

In fact, AOE2 had a hill bonus of 25% extra damage.
Another game-changing feature.

Players were encouraged to position their units on higher ground and it was a very logical approach too.
Why? Units going up are slower, have limited vision, lower attack, and units on top get extra vision, bonus speed to rush down the hill, 25% extra damage. AOE2 is just so much better in terms of unit positioning and micro gameplay. And this is just one example of why AOE2 is a great competitive title.

3 Likes

ignore these fan boys, these were the people i mentioned earlier that decrease the quality of medieval RTS games.

1 Like

I think they just never experienced a better quality game.
So they are stuck in what they know.

yeah this is true, wish they knew the actual level of strategy games with realistic physics and more in depth mechanics has at its disposal.

1 Like

Just a question.
Is Starctraft a non-competitive game?
Projectiles have a 100% hitrate in that game.

2 Likes

it is a fantasy genre, they can make up anything
 not a historical one

You are arguing about theme not competitive viability then.

2 Likes

read comments that are under it

I guess that’s your main argument for saying that it’s not competitive because it can’t dodge ranged damage from arrows, that some are fantasy and AoE4 is medieval.

im simply stating the game lacks enough mechanics to be a strategy game, too much certainty makes games boring, its not about it being competitive, its about it being enjoyable and strategic, both of which AOE4 lacks.

if anything the game is a RTLS game.

basic explanation is

that 100% accuracy is predictable, ranged units will work against every unit much more efficiently except mounted archers

and it ends up dealing enormous dmg.

It is like an aimbot in COD Warzone against a player without hacks.
no skill needed in micro.

The thing is none of the AoE games revolve around strategy or strategic decisions let’s be honest. AoE 3 you basically slam your army into each other and he has had the better army wins, obviously you control your units to an extent, AoE 2 is basically he who can spam out the most powerful armies the fastest wins.

There is a lot more to micro skills in RTS than just dodging arrows.
For example positioning your units correctly, making concaves around your enemy’s formations (to increase the amount of dmg you are doing),spacing them out to avoid aoe dmg, or even retreating low hp units so the collective dmg doesn’t decrease.

But you both have 100% accuracy. I don’t get it.
There is no imbalance here.

2 Likes

read comments here. I talked it all and they all got defeated because AOE4 is nowhere near AOE2’s micro gameplay.

This is why AOE3 never got a chance to become a competitive game like AOE2.
As it demanded less skill in both macro and micro gameplay.

so basically from what i have learned about AOE4 is that you have around 6 strategies to use. unit positioning, unit composition, map control, picking targets, harassing the enemy, macro, that is the only strategies i can think AOE4 has at its disposal, 8 if you include sacred sites and wonders.

it really is a RTLS game

3 Likes

AoE 3 requires just as much skill as AoE 2. Part of the reason AoE 3 didn’t do as well as it could have was because it was different then the previous game all the AoE 2 die hard fans didn’t like it because of that

3 Likes

You can actually dodge in AOE3, not to AOE2 extent, but its not impossible
at least cannon balls can be dodged if timed right i believe

1 Like

As an AOE2 player, AOE 3 was so much better in terms of unit types and quality of life. But it was not good at micro to the extent of AOE2

2 Likes

I could say Dark souls has like 3 strategies:
Dodging, positioning, and stamina management.

Like listing the skills a person can potentially master doesn’t mean the game is solved and lacks mentally stimulating gameplay.

None of us have “solved” Aoe IV either, the skills needed to win consistently in this game are very hard to master, so I always find it weird when people make it sound like this a fundamentally simplified game.

The main issue with Aoe IV competitively atm is the balance of the game.
Not the lack of RNG arrow miss chance.

2 Likes