Why did you stop playing AOE4 or why do you play it less?

Dude, download the mod ‘advanced settings’

It has so many options, you can almost prevent ww3 with it.

1 Like

There is diplomacy mod, also tons of pop mods out there like 10k, even 8vs8. Go through mods and find everything you like

I have greatly reduced the time I spent playing because the game was designed from the get-go with eSports in mind and I didn’t expect that. Namely:

• Overrepresentation of competitive players in both patches and forum.
  • Extremely simplified UI and graphics with the aim of being more readable, again for eSports.
  • Plain icons which don’t represent the techs you are researching.
  • Myriad of basic, unresolved bugs.
  • Water combat is a joke.
  • I’m unexplainably annoyed by all keeps being reskins while even in AoE II castles were all different.
  • Poor unit vs building scale, again AoE II did it better. I don’t want giant buildings, but units should look like they fit through doors at least.
  • Unit formations have almost zero function. Where’s wedge formation for cav? Porcupine or block for infantry?
  • No attack or defensive stances, just a weird merge of the two which causes units to chase enemies at random.
  • Mediocre graphics.
  • Zero value of units on walls. A gimmick that nobody uses. Where’s siege on walls?
9 Likes

2v2 map sizes, they just listen to 1% vocal community and completely ignore the rest. I cannot get myself to play 1v1. Its boring and flat. Always this ram rush crap from english OR you are forced to do ram rush crap against civs like china. 1v1 game is pretty much revolves around Dark Age or Feudal. Second issue with 1v1 is that its so predictable. Why even play when you already know how everything will unfold.

Now 2v2 map sizes are reduced it has become same thing. Same feudal fighting. Good thing about team game was that there are a lot of possible combinations of matches. 4 different civs selected from pool of 6. Its huge variation. I do wanna play late-game. Which was possible in larger maps (not too large 3v3 and 4v4 were post imperial). 2v2 could still be finished feudal if both opponents committed but if only one did it wasn’t easy. And with your teammate it was used to revolve Castle and Imperial. Had a lot of different unit comps and was fun to play. Current reduced maps are pretty much two 1v1s on same map. Same feudal fighting and you can’t scale as you will run out of space and resources.

1 Like

Brcause it is age of Disney IV is not age of empires.

10 Likes

I was playing a fair bit of co-op vs hardest AI, averaging more than one game per day, but I stopped because I had a run of games with terrible teammates where I ended up playing on my own against multiple hardest AIs. I have won 1v4, but the problem is my options for strategy are pretty limited if trying to do that, as I’m not good enough to beat them late in the game, simply because 200 pop vs 800 pop isn’t going to work when they can take sacred sites, attack your base from all directions, attack your trade, as well as have plenty of units to defend their base. I don’t really want to play every game taking out the first AI as early as possible just in case my teammates end up being useless and leaving me to play a 1v4, so I’ve mostly stopped playing.

Re the comment about graphics above, I hate how the game looks in its native form, but ReShade can absolutely transform how it looks. They really should put some of these basic adjustments into the game, as I think how it looks without ReShade must put so many people off. I use just two filters, with these settings good for 1440p IMO:

Also, I think the game benefits more than AoE 2 DE from higher resolution. 1440p looks acceptable, but it’s on a 4k screen where the game really starts to look good. It needs a fairly powerful graphics card, though, to hold 60fps at 4k.

It’s also frustrating that Relic remains the only source of QoL fixes due to the mod feature not supporting community mods that can be used in ranked or quick play. There are vast numbers of small changes that would really improve the game.

Twoer rush… balance … feel suck

2 Likes

I think we all take breaks, but I’d say now this is the only game I’ve been playing.

For me it was that long gap waiting for Season 1 ranked to come out and modding support. I left for some weeks. I just didn’t want to invest myself further knowing there was going to be a lot of changes in the future. I was also really tired of the mangonel spam.

2 Likes

I got tired of playing against the same civ using the same strat over and over (English Feudal Longbow/Ram rush). It’s too easy to do and too easy to mess up playing against.

So now I play one game a week at most, just because I know exactly what to expect every other game…

1 Like

This was very much the standard two weeks ago…

Since then, I don’t know what changed, but I see a let of variety in what opponents do… maybe people got tired of that strat?

Just a snapshot of recent opponent civs:

1 Like

Oh well I should try playing another game then! Maybe I’ll get lucky and get matched against Rus or Abassid, I still haven’t seen them in ranked.

It takes too long to play.

I seldom ramming my opponent in 1v1, WTF are you talking about? (Platinum III)

Second issue with 1v1 is that its so predictable.

No.

Ok, I must admit - as wrote above - I stopped playing ranked… Not sure how the scene is there. Maybe it was because I play quick match, where people are more explorative / and willing to try things.

1 Like

Because the disastrous proportions of some buildings make the game too ugly.

6 Likes

I agree with the previous posters.

But also, life happens. Some of us can only play a game here and there.

1 Like

Build orders are too formulaic.

As a big fan of previous AOE3, treasures/shipments make various build order.

Only random element I get in AOE4 is only sheep amount.

3 Likes

Just to mark the difference between developers who know what Aoe Is and the orher ones Who have been engaged to make a game different from their traditional vision (Coh)

Animations, details, movements. Little details help a lot with immersion: AOE4 has not this scale of details. And i said before, Aoe4 Is a game for E-sport. It Always been developed with this scope. This Is the reason why we have not more immersion, different fauna, Better graphic and more.

Forgotten Empires+Tantalus could be the right tram for the next AOE, imho.

6 Likes

Crap balance.
Cater to ranked 1v1 only.
■■■■ team support (they ruined team maps somewhat)
Same boring crap with no end in sight.
RTS games made 10 years ago(AOE3 de)(SC2) are 100% better

Glad the 15 or so pros are having fun. the rest of us are not

6 Likes

TheViper says he prefers AoE 2 DE and is returning to that being his main game.

3 Likes