Why do I have to play rdm civ?

So your claim that random is the “standard” is simply false.

Complete exageration. I don’t need to be TheViper to want to play competitive settings.

Also FYI → people who pick civs are “normal people” as well.

1 Like

Depends: People that play one civ because they like it, no biggy (as long as civ is below 50% winrate)
Player that constantly pick the best civ because they can’t win and are full tryhards -> not normal people

2 Likes

To be frank there is no best civ.

This is pretty wrong tho

1 Like

Every civ has its strengths against other civs, the ‘best civ’ is only best if those stars align. When people knew what civ they were up against while picking then that’s attempting to pick the ‘best civ’ for that moment.

Now we have hidden civs and can choose without knowing if we’ve picked the ‘best civ’ or not, so I’ll argue that there is no best civ.

I play Teutons, which is weak to turks and many other ranged types, does that mean I always pick the ‘best civ’? No, not really - same goes for people who pick mongols and so on these days, it fits their playstyle and it’s a civ they like, it does not mean they pick the ‘best civ’ however.

that is just plain wrong. every map and settings has a best civ

People play the civ they like to play the most on the map they seem to do well on the most. That is normal.

so everyone does best on arabia? because that’s clearly the most played map.

Arabia is a classic and is easy to understand. Easy to get into, hard to master, I think you’ll find that that, alongside black forest are the two most player friendly maps and is why they are the most popular and have stood the test of time.

except BF isn’t played as much as arena. heck nomad is played more then BF.

All of those are classics

Black forest is where most low level players gravitate towards for team games, it’s still sought after at all elo levels, arabia is a good middle ground and is sought after just the same

1 Like

no man, every map and setting has a best civ.
On arabia the best civs are Aztecs, Chinese, Franks, Khmer and Mayans, with Aztecs being the probably THE best. That’s not an opinion, that’s literally how the game works and this is shown by every tournament

Arabia may be a lot of things, but it’s certainly not easy to understand

1 Like

honestly have to wonder if aztecs are still going to be the best after the recent nerf. their early game took a decent hit.

As for why people pick aztecs, some people just like the civ and play mainly that cause it’s a cool civ. Same way with me for teutons.

Honestly all of those civs are fun civs and look generally cool to play with. It’s very little wonder people grew good at them.

People pick Aztecs on arabia because they are the strongest pick on arabia, not necessarilily because they like it.
Proof: in KOTD3 (a tournament where only arabia is played) they’ve been banned 47 times, drafted 27 times on a total of 75 series. They’ve been played 20 times (13 wins, 7 losses for a 65% win rate), they are literally the strongest civ on arabia standard settings

I’d argue that their playstyle is good against the current playstyle that is prominant. Where they lost, what were the situations there, what did the victor do differently?

then there playstyle has been good since the start of the game basically. the facts and stats don’t lie - none of the pros even bothered to ask why aztecs were getting nerfed in the last patch - they knew why they got nerfed.

the meta has shifted over the past twenty years and the constant has been aztecs being a top tier civ.

My theory is that people will still choose aztecs regardless of nerfs or buffs and the same will be with anyone’s favorite civ to play, and they will continue to be good at their civ of choice.

that won’t pan out in tournaments though. if they got nerfed hard enough the pros wouldn’t use them in tournaments.

look at persians - used to be one of the best civs in the game - now they don’t see much use.

People still use persians. We also have a bunch of new civs with elephants, I’d argue that some of that interest went to similar civs so the number of people maining persians went down.