Why is Age of Empires 1 so stagnant?

I don’t know why the updates for AoE 1 suddenly stopped. Shrugs this game has lots of potential since there are not much ancient age rts out there.

12 Likes

Keep sending emails that we would like to get DLC for AoE1DE and we would buy it or even preorder if it has new content.

11 Likes

Dear Microsoft and others ,
I am one of the insiders in aoe community.
I have one big request, and that is:
Please stop punishing Age of empires 1 Definitive edition and its awesome community.
We beseech you, that you start on polishing and upgrading Age of empires 1 Definitive edition, because it deserves it, and once its complete i will, I promise you that, i will buy it again on Steam, and so will others, that feel my thoughts. The Age of empires 1 Definitive edition and its predecessor are the root of all Age of empires games, and without it there would not be its successors. We cry to you for help, because we love Age of empires 1 Definitive edition. Thank you for your cooperation and i hope for a good reply.

14 Likes

I also would like to add that people that enjoy AoE 2 more would be more than willing to invest their time and money in AoE 1 if they saw a game which is improving and getting more polished.

10 Likes

Exactly, I came back to this game on July 2020 after seeing some balance changes and bug fixes. I played 1500 hours of AoE2 DE and I wanted to take a break from it. I enjoy AOE DE as well. Would be amazing if this game gets a lot of love. I would rather buy AoE 1 DE DLC instead of AoE2 DE DLC.

11 Likes

AoE 1 and AoE 2 share the same core mechanics, the reason AoE 2 is much more successful is that it has a lot of nice extra features and quality of life improvements.

I think some features from AoE 2 should come to AoE 1, like land trade and gates. I don’t think we need any unique unit or unique tech, but for we certainly need a larger tech tree. At the moment, there are several units which could use a bronze age/ iron age upgrade, for example.

10 Likes

Yes, we need fair units for late game in AoE1 DE. Consider a situation where golds run out and you have Scythe Chariots which will kill every single non gold unit in the game.

I like the time period of AoE1 more than AoE2, I feel its very pleasing to play non-gunpowder kinda age.

With some QoL and balance, this game should be so successful.

9 Likes

Totally agree with you! Show us some AoE 1 love devs!

7 Likes

These features should also be in AoE2:DE:

• ‘No formation’ command (seriously, why isn’t this already an option?)
    To allow units of different types in a group to move at their own personal speed. Formations are cool, but they could improve. Funny how I requested formations to be implemented this way when in reality, it is not working that way not even in the sequel.
  • ‘Working villager’ selector from the HUD (present in AoE1:DE and AoE3:DE except AoE2:DE)
    So that instead of being forced to select a working villager from the map itself, we can do it from the resources bar.
  • Hotkeys allowed to mass-create units (without having to “mass-use” them)
    So that when we want to create multiple units, we do not have to press and release the respective keys multiple times.
6 Likes

Yeah, those and many more I probably forgot. I really can’t stress out enough how perplexed I am by the fact that the devs used genie engine 1 and not 2 (the one from AoE 2) to develop DE. We could basically share all the features we want between AoE 1 DE and AoE 2 DE for basically free…

8 Likes

Exactly! Why wouldn’t they use the upgraded Genie engine for AoE1DE? I mean, Microsoft released the sequel months later, so why choose the old one?! :cry:

7 Likes

do they need money or not, if they listened to us and upgraded the game as it should be, there will be even more money for them.

6 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Bad products don’t bring good money. Even if Age of Empires 2: DE (or any other game for that matter) was awesome indeed, people playing former games would be skeptic about newer games.

I knew AoE2:DE was mostly better than its prequel, only after trying it for the 1st time, after I experienced AoE1:DE (first).

4 Likes

Would have been half the amount of work to make the two DE versions, less bugs and many extra features for AoE 1 DE, which would have been welcome if nothing else for mods and custom maps. Who knows what they were thinking…

5 Likes

I think they still wanted to AoE1DE behave like AoE1 not AoE2, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t add more extra content. For example land based trade was planned for original AoE1, but for some reason it was cut, my only guess is maybe it was because of pathfinding issues - ships get less stuck than land units.

6 Likes

I just sent one of them a message about how the game has touched my heart and how it has made me happy, and I asked them why they forgot about it. The message is pretty touching too so I just hope they listen.

7 Likes

Hmm, as far as I know you can do everything the Genie Engine 1 does with the Genie Engine 2, but perhaps I am missing something

2 Likes

You are right! I hope that Microsof read the forum …

8 Likes

Eeeeeeehhmmmmmm, no :sleepy:

1 Like

why is aoe1 so stagnant ? because it’s the aoe ONE lol …