Why just windows 10

I am very disappointed that that AoE Definitive Edition is only going to be for windows 10… that to me is very stupid considering not everyone uses it or has it… im on windows 8 and I am quite happy with it. as a business stand point I think it would be better to have it to all operating systems and not limited to one, more options=more buyers also not every one has the original games, I don’t I played it at my grandparents place when I was younger then they moved so I only got to play it once in 2010 this was way back in 2004-2005 that they moved away so I really have not played it for a long time, I miss it.
AoE 2 hd is fun and all but im really wanting the original, so with that said Definitive Edition would be just awesome, go from new graphics to the old original game look when ever, it would be perfect if it was for everyone and not ones with windows 10.

who here uses 8,1, and lower and steam, we need to get Microsoft so Listen to us customers and or fans of the game… its not right that they would do some thing like this.

They want to start using their xbox live system, and probably want people to start using Windows 10. There may be other reasons too. I don’t think it needs to be on Steam. That takes away 30% at least, plus those mega sales they do. Would they make 30% extra being on Steam? I guess they’ll figure that out.

I’m guessing earlier versions of Windows don’t have the store or xbox live app thing.

You can still play the original by getting a CD cheap online and installing UPatch will allow full HD resolutions, similar balance changes to DE, and easy to install mods as well.

Yeah they should launch for Mac and Linux even considered Xp.

Win8 was best even 7. But the bussines of Ms is now Win10 and the store.

They will lose out on a lot of sales for those who don’t want to upgrade after the Windows 8 launch. I’m one of those, plus for $150, how about a discount every once and a while. Maybe then I will upgrade.

Also, what are they putting into this game that it requires such high specs? I know they are improving it on many levels, but to that extent to require THAT MUCH seems wrong. Unless they are improving the AI rather than breaking it in AoE 2 HD. cough

Guys, I don’t know about you, but I don’t remember anyone getting upset that Age of Empires required Windows 95+ and wouldn’t just work through DOS…

These threads are getting ridiculously redundant.

That’s apples and oranges. The jump to Win95 to DOS was probably worth it in many ways, while the jump from Win7 to Win10 is something I wish to avoid for as long as possible.

I have no reason to go to Win10, as I’m completely happy with Win7; or at least as happy as I can be with an OS. My experiences with Win10 has been mediocre, at best… not to mention all the things Win10 has gotten bad press for. So, no thanks! If I can’t play AoE:DE on Win7, then c’est la vie! Will get to play the game in 5 to 10 years when the world is probably truly forced onto Win10+.

I want to Mac and android, Android can give more sales and more money, I don’t care if they don’t have a success store or if Win10 becomes more used OS.

I want this.you will pay Ms for such greed (Sarcasm off)…
Really?
You think they planned this games for sales…?
No man, it’s for extended his new brand services and product.
It’s called marketing strategy.

@EdmondDantes said:
I have no reason to go to Win10, as I’m completely happy with Win7; or at least as happy as I can be with an OS. My experiences with Win10 has been mediocre, at best… not to mention all the things Win10 has gotten bad press for. So, no thanks! If I can’t play AoE:DE on Win7, then c’est la vie! Will get to play the game in 5 to 10 years when the world is probably truly forced onto Win10+.

I’m not sure what bad press you’re talking about, besides some legacy software not working correctly. Personally, I have not ran into any issues or problems with the programs I’ve used over the years (and still use) on Windows 10.

Windows 10’s UWP platform is just as much of a leap from 7 as 95 was from DOS. The games still relied on DOS, but required the GUI-friendly atmosphere of Win95 to work. Microsoft has yet again created a newer interface in Windows 10 where, while the games would probably work just fine in Windows 7, they have the capability to work more streamlined and within the capabilities of Windows 10, rather than relying on the legacy structure of Win7.

I won’t pretend to understand it any deeper than that, but I will say you are doing yourself somewhat of a disservice writing Windows 10 completely off because of a few bad third-party experiences you’rve read about. :smile:

The game is also owned and published by Microsoft, so it makes sense for them to try and make their new platform more enticing with exclusive content.

It’s **FREE **to upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1

Get with it, lol

Windows 10 is just easier. Everything is geared towards it for support and compatibility. Just upgrade. Everything will work. You won’t need to keep saying “I can’t have X, Y & Z because I don’t have Windows 10”.

No point in fighting Microsoft. They’re too big. Just accept defeat.
Just upgrade. Makes everything so much simpler.

Windows 10 is fine, anyway.

Unless you have a massive list of games that SUDDENLY won’t work on Windows 10 (that worked on 8.1). There really is no excuse. It’s free people. Free…!

Also – they’ve removed the “mobile” orientated add ons it had on release. It feels normal now. Perfectly normal.

@UtileGoldfish0 said:
I am very disappointed that that AoE Definitive Edition is only going to be for windows 10… that to me is very stupid considering not everyone uses it or has it… im on windows 8 and I am quite happy with it. as a business stand point I think it would be better to have it to all operating systems and not limited to one, more options=more buyers also not every one has the original games, I don’t I played it at my grandparents place when I was younger then they moved so I only got to play it once in 2010 this was way back in 2004-2005 that they moved away so I really have not played it for a long time, I miss it.
AoE 2 hd is fun and all but im really wanting the original, so with that said Definitive Edition would be just awesome, go from new graphics to the old original game look when ever, it would be perfect if it was for everyone and not ones with windows 10.

who here uses 8,1, and lower and steam, we need to get Microsoft so Listen to us customers and or fans of the game… its not right that they would do some thing like this.

They want you to use Win10 so that they can sell your personal information and spy on you.

Steam is an awful predatory platform. It’s bad for consumers, and the fact that it has a near monopoly on game sales is bad for both consumers and developers.
Microsoft’s attempts to leverage the power of the dedicated fan base Age of Empires brings with it, in order to help foster some good competition for Steam should be lauded. Not criticised.

@ZagorathAus said:
Steam is an awful predatory platform. It’s bad for consumers, and the fact that it has a near monopoly on game sales is bad for both consumers and developers.
Microsoft’s attempts to leverage the power of the dedicated fan base Age of Empires brings with it, in order to help foster some good competition for Steam should be lauded. Not criticised.

Without mention the awful multiplayer support for AOE II HD.

But for other games, is pretty good. The main fact that I don’t like from Steam are the security problems they have been dealing since his birth, someone can steal your account and games or hack the badges stuff frequently that we think. So far I have been lucky of having my Steam account safe.

They will lose out on a lot of sales due to the double whammy of No Steam and Windows 10 (specific Windows 10 edition 15063.0 or higher only).

GamerZakh states in the above video a claim that Age of Empires: DE may be the “most exclusive” game ever. He may be right. With fewer people being able to play the game, you can expect lots of people with Windows 10 won’t be able to play, just as ALL those without Windows 10 won’t be able to play. This will generate backlash.

@mythdracon said:
They will lose out on a lot of sales due to the double whammy of No Steam and Windows 10 (specific Windows 10 edition 15063.0 or higher only).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUMPl0xeAU

GamerZakh states in the above video a claim that Age of Empires: DE may be the “most exclusive” game ever. He may be right. With fewer people being able to play the game, you can expect lots of people with Windows 10 won’t be able to play, just as ALL those without Windows 10 won’t be able to play. This will generate backlash.

You think there such comparación between EA, or Ubisoft VS Ms.
Microsoft bussines isn’t gaming only. They make decision to doing this without third party companies.

You think they give up and try sell through steam. May be but they only want a game made by they and use their expensive to maintain store.

I prefer steam too, forced to buy on windows store is not really a good idea I find

@Sylvain8992 said:
I prefer steam too, forced to buy on windows store is not really a good idea I find

No good for you, good for them, but what will be happen if they fail with this?

@Augustusman said:

@Sylvain8992 said:

It isn’t good for them at all; they’ve gone out of their way to narrow their potential customer base as much as they possibly can. The only way they’d be able to top this would be to make future AoE games invite-only.

@AAHale said:

@Augustusman said:

@Sylvain8992 said:

It isn’t good for them at all; they’ve gone out of their way to narrow their potential customer base as much as they possibly can. The only way they’d be able to top this would be to make future AoE games invite-only.

Nobody is force to you to buy something.
They have a store to maintain, you know?

@AAHale said:

@Augustusman said:

@Sylvain8992 said:

That’s a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it. You are worried about a single game, and how its sales will do. Microsoft has been trying to make its Windows10 and UWP atmosphere appealing to customers, and they are taking the right steps towards doing that for gamers. There are several games that are W10 Store only right now, and this will be another step towards solidifying the goal for their own atmosphere. AoE1:DE is the first of four steps to bringing comfort and familiarity to their storefront, and by the time AoE4 releases, I don’t think anyone still interested will have any complaints.

And I think there might actually be more people interested at that point than there are people interested in AoE1:DE right now. Call it a hunch :smile:

@Augustusman said:

@AAHale said:

@Augustusman said:

@Sylvain8992 said:

Nobody is force to you to buy something.
They have a store to maintain, you know?

Why can’t they have the game on both, as well as other platforms? Many games do this, including the HD remakes of AoE II and AoM. It’s hardly revolutionary.

It’s funny you say no one is forcing me to buy it, but if anyone wants to play it then they are being forced to buy it from the Windows store, and being forced off of Steam (which most/all of their other games and mods are on).

I understand the arguments about broadening the marketplace and providing an alternative to Steam; that makes sense and there’s nothing wrong with doing so, but to insist that everyone require a certain version of a certain OS and buy the game from a certain online store (that is poorly reviewed and - for PC products - rarely used) is just ridiculous, and I find it bizarre that people choose to defend this policy.

If the game were available on Steam, GoG and elsewhere as well as on the Windows store then this argument would never have come about; no one would have a problem, and people would laud the variety of platforms being supported. To limit the game so narrowly in the way MS have chosen to do, however, is not only a bad idea – it’s so obviously a really bad idea, and it’s going to cost them no end of sales and thus revenue. As a follow-on from that, MS will consider the franchise a poor investment and cease to support it in the future. You can see this kind of thing coming a mile off.

Literally no one wins from this decision; MS will be out of pocket because the money they save by avoiding Valve’s 30% transaction tax will obviously never be anywhere near recuperated from additional sales on the Windows store; the customer will suffer by being arbitrarily forced into using an operating system and market place they may otherwise not wish to; the franchise will suffer because its extremely limited sales potential (and please don’t argue this point as it’s self-evident; specific OS version + specific store required) will reflect not that there is no adequate demand for the game, but that there is no adequate supply of the game.

If MS believes that millions of casual gamers are going to upgrade their OS simply in order to play an AoE game then they’re sadly mistaken, and other users have posted stats actually showing a recent fall in Windows 10 usage in favour of older versions.

This decision is inexcusable, and it will either be reverted or MS will simply have to abandon any hopes of challenging other mainstream video games on the basis that, in terms of player numbers/product availability, future AoE games will never be on a level playing field with everything else. It’s akin to a Linux-only version of Witcher III trying to challenge Skyrim for popularity.