Why Korea should be in AOE3 De

It’s a pleasure for me that you love Korea, but there are more important civs in AOE3. They are suitable as minor civs to be added when the Asian concept map is redesigned, but not as major civs. They did not trade with any European countries until Japan forced the port to open. In other words, they have no access to the consulate, which is the intrinsic mechanism of Asian civilization.

5 Likes

They could be like Inda and Japan and use nations that they had relationship with at the end of their time- Russia, France, Britain and Germany
And no these nations got nothing to do with Japan forcing Korea to open. Some of them entered relationship regardless of Japanese intervention. (especially with Russia considering they even went to war with Japan over Joseon)

1 Like

Yes, it may can, but it was almost the end of the history of the Joseon Dynasty. It is too late compared to India or China, which has already accepted the construction of a trading company since the 17th century, and Japan, which has traded with Europeans since before. Joseon opened its port in 1876, which is the same year as the latest time the Little Big Horn battle in the actual history of the AOE3 campaign. If you have to allow them to appear, Countries that did not exist in the AOE3 era, such as Italy, should also be allowed.

2 Likes

It isn’t like China, Japan and India all had relationship with their consulate nations at once.
I am sure China didn’t have relationship with say Germans until around time of Opium war…
not to mention by the middle of Edo Period Japan ended almost all of European nations except for Dutch.

Because both Swedes and Incas were civs already planned originally hence a devinitive edition seeing it will be mostly how it should have been and devinitive.

Korea was never planned, there was also never a plan for a fourth Asian civ during Asian dynasties development, hence no third civ during the release of DE.

Give examples were Korea had actual important influence over other nations during AoE III timeframe and not just they had diplomatic ties with Japan. Thats not influence. Korea also had barely any trade with Europeans and were also isolationist for a time. The argument thus doesnt hold up for Japan being isolationist.

Again its way more likely they announce African civs as we havent one of those yet. There is no indication they are planning for Korea.

5 Likes

The opium wars are all wars that took place 1876 years ago. Japan was trading with Spain and Portugal in the past because they banned trade with them because they demanded conversion. Ashigaru’s matchlock was actually the first thing a Portuguese merchant handed over.

In fact, it is pointless to compare how well we know history. Just recognizing that each other’s opinions are different and stopping the demeaning of Korea was a worthwhile discussion.

I have already told you about the story, but unfortunately, it was deleted, so I explain it again. If Joseon was an uninfluential country, Qing China was no reason to attack Korea before it completely destroyed Ming China. And after Ming China was destroyed, all Koreans would have become Chinese. Qing China was wary of Joseon helping Ming China, so it was first to break their will to resist. If Joseon had no influence at all, Qing China had no reason to wage such a meaningless war in the first place.

And Koreans existed in TAD’s early plans. However, they were excluded from the entry for a number of complex reasons, probably because South Korea had never traded with Europeans and the opening of the port was very late.

2 Likes

I don’t see why we have to be THAT strict with historical facts. If you want to be THAT historical you need to remove German from China and Remove Spain and Portugal from Japan.
Sure relationship occurred at the end but it still happened in same Dynasty. It isn’t like Joseon fell before Korea was opened to Europeans and Europe had to deal with new dynasty.

1 Like

Spain yes, Portugal no.
Portugal was literally their first european trade partner.

2 Likes

Japan have already established diplomatic relations since the 17th century. However, it is strange that China deals with Germany. Portugal looks better instead of Germany. It would be good to replace it with Portugal in India.

Yes, it would have been convincing if the post WW1 DLC came out before AOE4 came out.

Anyway, the era of AOE3 is the era of gunpowder, cannons, and colonialism. It is not an age of ironclad ships and imperialism. And Koreans feel shame at the history of forcibly opening ports regardless of their intentions. It is something that stimulates their pain.

It’s an event by the German Empire, and it’s after 1876.

2 Likes

the only far east colony of any german state is a port in china.

3 Likes

that didn’t last long. Only Dutch were Edo Japan’s long lasting European partner.

First I cant find anything about the involvement of Korea with Ming’s end, so if you could provide some sources I can read them.

Besides no there is no reccord of Korea being early planned on AoE III, I have both heard and read about the Inca’s in the Warchiefs and Italy and Swedes in vanilla, but never about Korea it also is nowhere mentioned. So either give a source or its just not true.

4 Likes

Koreans

Updated version of my older concept.

Units

Barracks

• Spearman more HP than other Pikeman but worse at siege. (Age 2)
  • Archer One of the best Archer units in game, has the fastest arrows reducing overkill. Especially good against Light Cavalry. (Age 2)
  • Musketeer Weaker at range but cheaper than the European equivalent. (Age 2)

Stable

• Heavy Cavalry Somewhere between Hussar and Iron Flail (Age 2)
  • Cavalry Archer Also fast arrows and only costs 1 population (Age 3)

Castle

• Fire Lance Skirmisher Grenadier hybrid that is better against Heavy Infantry than Light Cavalry and also good against Buildings and Artillery. (Age 2)
  • Hwacha medium range Artillery that fires multiple arrows causing very huge AoE that is devastating for large groups of Infantry (Age 3)
  • Chongtong Long range cannon that is good against Artillery and Ships between a Falconet and a Culverin (Age 3)
  • Mortar long range anti Building and Ship (Age 4)

Consulate

Chinese

• Bonus on Export production
  • Ships economic Buildings, Villagers and Livestock

Isolation

• Buildings repair faster and cheaper
  • Trains unique units like Japanese Isolationism

Persians

• Reduces Technology cost
  • Ships economic Technologies

Tower

Unique building that is cheaper but weaker attack than an outpost.
Gets upgraded together with Castle upgrades.

Dock

• Panokseon high damage manoeuvrable medium size ship equipped with both Hwacha and cannons (Age 2)
  • Turtle Ship high HP ship and decent damage (Age 3)

Wonders

• Produces free villagers but additional unit options when upgraded.
  • Produces Food and can be upgraded every Age.
  • Produces Coin and can be upgraded every Age.
  • Produces Wood and can be upgraded every Age.
  • Produces Export and XP and can be upgraded every Age.

Unlike the Porcelain Tower they can be upgraded and are not stuck at the resource production of the Age their are build in. There is one Upgrade for all Wonders.
They produce about as much resources as a Porcelain Tower, so they are slightly worse than a factory. The main disadvantage is that they can’t switch production modes.

Features

• Free Castle on Age up and +1 Castle limit
  • Build Villages like the Chinese and can also train Goats.
  • Reduced Villager limit (because of all the economic Wonders)
  • No Villager shipments but Livestock for each Village like the Chinese

Gameplay

Koreans are a defensive civilisation. Their Wonders boost their economy but they are vulnerable and have to be defended. The wonder that produces free villagers is a good pick for Age 2 but it makes them weaker for early attacks than Japanese, Inca or Sweden that have eco houses.
They also have access to a Factory through the Russian Consulate like the Chinese.
The Castle is very important because it gives a much better variety of units compared to other Asian civilisations.
Best Artillery of any Asian civilisation.

8 Likes

I would add Russians as a Consulate nation

1 Like

Oh I forgot to add them in the list on top
I mentioned them in the text at the End.

Kinda boring IMO only to have resource generation from wonders, would also just seem a little close to the Chinese tower wonder.

i dont think any building or unit in the game does 2 types of attacks at the same time? also unless all of this is really low on dmg then this would seem like it would dominate the early game naval combat.

this is starting to look like an eco faction with WAY too much eco. 5 factories+villagers sound really really over the top.

not saying it has to be but it sounds like an eco on steroids unless they seriously lag in eco upgrades.

i like these units, maybe the chongton should just be a culvin tho, the culvin/falcon combo already exist with japan. also the fire lance, seem very archaic, but perhaps that is a fit for korea.

1 Like

Most ships have a Broadside attack, that would be replaced with Hwacha attack.

They get a lower villager limit like the Japanese or Dutch.

The Flaming Arrow is much more like a Falconet.
The Light Cannon is more of a hybrid between Falconet and Culverin.
My idea would be that this cannon is stronger and more expensive than a Falconet unlike the Light Cannon that is cheaper.

just a side note:
As an India main ! i was like lol there you go! When will I get some real artillery! that guy is planning to have F###ing FOUR of them! lol !

Also! giving them russian factory IMO feels a too much. Personally IMO in terms of civ BALANCE ONLY ! I think Koreans should be like Spain of asia, not the first choice of every player but offers some excessively unique bonuses like variety of mid-range artilllery and ‘slightly better’ eco than normal.
and probably a Highly defendable navy and a less powerfull but faster rate of fire units!

This is just my POV , im not an expert on Korea.

1 Like

Not to be mean, but that civs unique mechanics straight up sounds like a copy of existing civs.

The Ottoman free settler, the wonder tower but then every resource of the Chinese. (being upgradable makes it more op) Same unique building as the Chinese. Hussar unit similar to iron flail.

And next to that the consulate should have some European civs or existing civs in game. I dont really see why Persians?

The unique tower also is a bit weird of a building seeing they still have access to castles and this tower is weaker then an outpost I dont really see the use for it.

2 Likes