Why people are still leaving? I don’t understand…

Personally, I do not enter the game because I have passed the company and I am waiting for: DLC with new companies, game events with cosmetic and not only awards, and network games where Rus has no stone walls are not interesting :man_shrugging:t2:

Because there is a lot of games and doing custom campaigns even from Aoe2 hd is better to me. I don’t stick with multiplayer

Issues with players intentionally dropping games to “no-result” them if they are losing. I have had this happen to me multiple times and it causes me to lose elo. I just want good quality games and that happens maybe every 1 in 3 or 4. :frowning:

Look I know this game isnt perfect and we as a community all want to see the best from the devs and want them to succeed, but they just, like, have radio silence on a newly launched game, and allow bugs to exist while patching 1 to 3 of them with each patch. Community expectations kindof soured with Relic when they nerfed Dehli (for no reason it seemed) and confused the community, and when they allowed soooo many bugs to persist until this day. is it not possible to hotfix this? Very confused.

TLDR: Not enough community outreach, Game breaking bugs, players able to drop hack or “NO-RESULT” games is really tanking game quality. $60 and it feels like early access.

3 Likes

Let’s wait for the weekend to see if people will come back in higher numbers. If you’re working full-time and/or have kids there’s hardly any time to play or even update your game during weekdays, right?

5 Likes

I work two law enforcement jobs and still play one or two games a day

2 Likes

People are leaving because updates are too slow. The game has great core gameplay but the lack of substance makes it less exciting. Many QoL are still not featured in the game. The campaigns are lackluster too just four? Cmon this is a $60 game backed up by one of the richest companies in the world.

3 Likes

In this game there is planning and calculating, managing resources, I think that this generation dislikes that.

3 Likes

I don’t think it has anything to do with this, at all.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m not saying the game isn’t loosing players, it obviously is, I just don’t think it’s bc of the reason you said

2 Likes

wrong , i got a lot of know parents that their childs plays RTS and civilization , its very common to heard the name CIVILIZATION or VICTORIA so i think the genre is slowly coming back

1 Like

I am a single player guy , i dont play mp but for me its sad that players are not coming back , and i know some players will come back after some time , but i dont know why they are leaving tbh

Balance patches and bug fixes are important, very important, especially the fixes at this early stage. But they are not the only motives, or even the major ones, why, many of us tried the game (starting from the beta … stress test I mean), didn’t like the game, waited for info on future plans, leaved the game.
In fact, people who liked the game, as you did and still do (I’m sincerely happy for you) stayed no matter the balance issues. This is the situation for many users still active on the forum: “yes there are some issues but we basically like the game”.
There is though a huge number of potential players, not represented/intercepted by the forum, or at least no more, that has fundamental problems with core elements of the game, elements that are not up to Eric and his balance team to fix or change. These are problems that lead designers at World’s Edge and Relic know very well, they have discussed/worked upon them years ago, they have had feedback upon them from the council, from their own developers, from insiders … some are even design choice, some are missing features, many do not appear on the road map they released.
So, you shouldn’t read anything strange in the fact that this specific (balance) patch didn’t make the number of active player increase.

6 Likes

The patch came in in the middle of work week. I haven’t gotten around to it yet due to work schedule, and patch notes aren’t really that big of a PR point to get previously disinterested players back.

The player count will bleed heavily again when Warhammer III comes out in mid February. In fact, a huge chunk of PC community will be gone playing Total War for a week or two that it takes to finish a campaign (I know I will). Anticipating the drop, I think the reason why Microsoft is sponsoring a big tourney in mid March is to get the numbers up again.

Playerbase will fluctuate. It’ll go up as balance is figured out and more high-dollar tourneys come up.

I’m too worried about the negative posts rn. That’s basically why I play it very little. I used to play 2-3 a lot, dunno why 4 isn’t that attractive yet for me.

All I seem to be able to do is watch Twitch and hear people complain about the game.

1 Like

Since you asked I am going to give my honest opinion.
In my opinion this game was bad planned, I know you like to singleplayer but I am simply unable to enjoy singleplayer because i feel this game is not as good as others in this aspect.

Singleplayer: The only real improvement to previous age games i would say are the sounds. The movies gives a good impression but came a long with heavy investment that could be invested in other sectors or less price. The game lacks environment interaction (frozen animals, lacks of nature aspects), no physics to experience immersion (like aoe3 for example), lack better animations(like Ancestors Legacy for example), lack better graphics(like any rts released in the last 10 years for example spellforce 3, Ancestors Legacy, some would argue aoe3de, anno), lack content and gameplay, the game has exactly the same gameplay and content as the 2000 age games , i don’t blame relic to choose this way for being an age of empires but it could have been improved a lot, with more content and complexity.
Much of these things I mentioned as singleplayer lack were said to be sacrificed to the multiplayer experience. So about the multiplayer:

Multiplayer: Here it’s where I actually experimented enjoyment, and so then i could argue that it was indeed everything sacrificed to the multiplayer experience , right? First place, why heavy invest on the movies to a multiplayer game? it could have been much better to throw effort and money to provide a better multiplayer experience or lower the price. If the game is supposed to be the more accessible by the simple look why not make it not AVX compatible too, which are probably most of the people that is on the lower tier requirement. And more , the games lacks a decent report system , it’s actually broken, chat is bad because of bad censor, could have voip at least to flex a new multiplayer feature, could have a pick ban system with map rotations like aoe2, could have simple things like color picker system or random civs, could have improved a lot the multiplayer experience with better hotkeys customization and diversity, could have a better algo for the maps generations, could have a better balance routine, could actually have more maps, civ diversity where same strategies are not picked over and over, could have a better spectator mode, pause, reconnect , mod tools, ranked and so on. For the lack of singleplayer features the game is said to be multiplayer , but at the same time the game forget many of the multiplayer needed things, in my opinion this is a signal that they just have chosen the low effort way, I give the doubt benefit though.

The game will probably be fine with time and IF ( the game can be dropped any time) the multiplayer features get implement, singleplayer wise i don’t believe it’s ever gonna be a thing, but i hope for the best. In my opinion this game is lucky to not have decent competition, many players are stucked here because any other games of this genre are outdated, including me.

6 Likes

I quit about right before Christmas time, and I’m back playing again due to the patch did hard nerf mongol early game option, but do I think it is perfect? nah, Mongols will still be OP af with what they have. But at least playable in some sense. How long will this last? Well, pretty much when the next Path of Exile patch drops or 2/12 Lost Ark drops for me.

I’d think most people who quit will simply find other things to enjoy at the moment and won’t come back. Once you lose a active user, is pretty hard to get them back. Because it all reflect as a negative emotion when they think about the game. You are better off hoping more new blood come in and stay.

3 Likes

from Imgflip Meme Generator

16 Likes

I certainly love AOE4, Ive played a bit too much of it lately so Im going to give it a break, might come back in a month or two.

People leaving doesnt always mean that its a bad thing.

1 Like

Except the map pool is way too large and most of the maps in the pool are just not balanced for competitive play. Also, some of them are not only unbalanced but just not at all fun for the majority of players. Especially full water maps. Water gameplay is boring and the games last like an hour. The point of video games is to have fun so why waste hours playing horribly designed maps that you don’t enjoy? The real issue is that the map pool is massive and the devs couldn’t be bothered to allow map bans or even favorites like aoe2. Seriously how hard is it? The 7 people that enjoy full water can play that vs each other and the rest of the player base can play well designed maps like dry arabia, lipany, hill and dale, mongolian heights and maybe king of the hill?

1 Like