Why the devs wiped out Chinese?

Acording to Steam description, chinese are no longer playable in retold. I would like to know the reason why we can’t play the full game in retold. I know chines civs aren’t very popular, but maybe they can make some changes. Wiped out chines from existence is a very lazy move.

3 Likes

Because it will be the first dlc LUL

5 Likes

Chinese Mythology: untold

3 Likes

When Defintive Editions came out, they released it with all previous content. Ignoring the chines DLC that they created it’s odd

2 Likes

Maybe reworking the Chinese takes some more time than expected so they release it post-launch?

8 Likes

Because they didn’t make it, they hired another studio for it.
It’s kind like a payed fan mod.

3 Likes

i also thought, since it was 100% confirmed we get chinese that it will be included, but it seems it won’t at release but it will definitely come! like others already said its then 100% the first dlc.^^

I hope they will have a different pools of gods, as a Chinese I think the original choices are very bad.

6 Likes

This.
Some people don’t seem to understand that current devs have to redone everything about china dlc and that takes a lot of time because almost everything china-related is a reskin of previous stuff (and the rest is just straight garbage).

3 Likes

true. you’re right. it takes more time than the other civs and more than noobs like e.g. me can imagine.

better focus those resources on the 4 main civs and improve them as best as possible.

1 Like

I think that they rolled back to just AoM + Titans and will move forward with more caution. They will defo realease Chinese, but they will probably be redone and they need to completely change the campaign. The same fate will probably befall Hippocrates, Khopesh Swordsman, Onager and Bogsveigir.

7 Likes

Chinese might arrive with a free update in 2025 like Ottomans did in AOE4.
However a new Chinese DLC for 15USD is more likely.

2 Likes

That’s fine, the way Chinese were implemented was kind of atrocious lol.

2 Likes

Pay for cut content?

So far, the DEs of AoE 1-3 included all the content was were in the previous versions as well. I can’t imagine that they’ll charge for the Chinese DLC again.

5 Likes

The Chinese civ was implemented so badly…strange choice of gods and units, all models reused, uninteresting god powers (many are just damage with different visual effects), huge anachronism (gunpowder and Qing dynasty jiangshi), and yet very imbalanced.

They need to be redone like a new civ.

5 Likes

anacrhonism is not something we can worry on AoM, mate, sorry lol

1 Like

Ngl this is one of the few times i’d be fine paying for cut content, because from everything I heard the original Chinese DLC was such hot garbage that it kinda needs to be burnt down and restarted from scratch, which is probably what they will do. It would have been nice to see that rebuild in the base game but ah well, I can live with that not being the case tbh.

4 Likes

All civs fit mostly into their own theme/time frame. They are anachronistic from each other but consistent within themselves.
Greeks is Hellenistic period.
Egypt is bronze age.
Norse is viking age.
Atlanteans is fictional so out of the topic.

Chinese visually is mostly pre-Han dynasty, so the 12th century fire lance and early modern Qing dynasty costume makes no sense.

And none of the other civs have any unit appearance beyond early medieval.

LOL

5 Likes

Thank God, the Chinese civ was a mess.

3 Likes