Why the devs wiped out Chinese?

I hope they come back, but they have to work on them, and in the campaign, it was quite a disaster

Never played the Chinese, are they really that bad and unbalanced?

4 factions are fine.

Add more factions only when they can make sure everything is clean and fun.

1 Like

Unfortunately, yes. They basically gave to Chinese every good thing about other civs.
It’s like they thought:
“Hm, it’s so frustrating when Valkyrie gets bolted, let’s make a version of her that is as strong and fast, but also immune to god powers! On top of that, give the minor god a strong aggressive GP!”
“So sad when I want to raid with chimera on maps with water and walls, let’s make a dragon as strong as Chimera, with same special, but that can cross rivers flying above water!”
“Oh, wait, we also could make a stronger phoenix and put it in a minor god that not only has “Hephaestus” armory cheap upgrades, but also has a really strong and aggressive god power! Because I hate choosing between Hep. and Hera or Artemis with Greeks!”
“Ok, but then why choose the god that gives the “dragon/chimera”?”
“Oh, just give it another OP GP that kills 40 units and buildings like a Tsunami!”
“Great idea! Maybe the third one could have a much better Fenris wolf with 30 hack damage, really fast, with Bellerophon jump special to kill Son of Osiris and only costs 4 pop!”
“Seems nice! What about giving a fast cheap cav that costs only 1 pop? Just imagine what you could do with 30 units instead of only 10 like with Hippikon”
“U know that Poseidon discount on stables? Why not give a god a 20% discount on wood for EVERY building, including farms? No need for a “Shaduf” upgrade then! Oh, give a shaduf to a minor god as well.”
“Ok, nice discount, but this other major god needs something too, so let’s make her units 10% cheaper and her buildings that already generate passive resources give extra pop!”
… and so on…
Not to mention:

• same line upgrade for infantry and archers.
  • 2 really OP heroic age GPs
  • the best siege weapon in the game (along with eggy catapult)
  • Immortals really strong and training in 9 sec.

Basically, China allows any player to deny a 2nd TC and kill 2-3 units while getting their own 2nd TC, and after that allows the player to overproduce and lose military units because it’s easy to make more of them while your opponent will never be able to compete with that and boom. Nü Wa and Fu Xi are totally broken. Shennong is a bit harder to play, but also strong.

1 Like

I really hope they will include the Chinese. After all, it was official content (or made official…) from the previous available version. And id people didn’t like it, it is the perfect occasion to design it again, correctly.
I don’t like this trend to not include previous content, like AOE1 campaigns in ROR.

1 Like

Chinese needs a complete redesign and possible renaming to avoid bad press. Shennong needs complete revamp from cheesy converting myth units/archers one shotting buildings. Some myth units like Qilin and Pixiu were just too generic to fit in the game. Monks were just added into game for nostalgia. Favor mechanic was copy paste from Egyptians with better upside.

They also lacked reliable reactive godpowers.

Chinese should not be on the release, because they are a mess and fixing them would delay the game release too much. I wouldn’t even mind if they forego chinese and instead expand the existing civs with new major and minor gods. Maybe it is better to use the few parts that make Chinese unique to improve existing civs.

1 Like

AoE3DE shipped with 2 new civilisations that each had a lot of unique units, buildings, home city cards and even a unique economy.

One AoE3 civilisation is likely similarly complex then one AoM one with all its different home city cards that can massively alter the way you play on top of revolutions and other unique mechanics (like Age up mechanics).

So why can’t they give us a single newish civilisation for AoMR?

I am just happy AoM Retold is releasing in 2024 with decent balance. Id rather have the game out soon and the civs come out later, than wait a year with completely unbalanced civs included.
Overall, you’re too picky. AoM is a great game and it is harder to create new Civs in AoM as it includes new godpowers, UTs, myth units and heroes. Maybe in AoE games to make a new unit you can copy the horse model, change its hat and modify its stats by 5-10% here and there, but in AoM it doesn’t exactly work like that.

3 Likes

I’m not in favour of delaying the game but 2+ years seem enough time for me to fix a single civilisation.
Also do you know how different some AoE3 civs are compared with each other?
Some civs have a completely unique roster of units.
And on top of that some civilisations have unique age up mechanics (like the Africans) offer more then the minor gods from AoM.
Have you seen how many unique features the Mexicans alone have?
And we haven’t even gotten to the Home City cards with can massively alter the way a civilisation is played.
Oh and then we have a whole bunch of Minor Civilisations on top of that that are being added with each DLC.

So why couldn’t they have done a single civilisation for AoMR.
If Chinese will be a payed DLC it will upset a lot of people.

I guess a free DLyc would be acceptable.

Anyway I am hyped for AoMR and will definitely buy it, and I will buy the Chinese DLC too if I have to. I just don’t think it’s a smart decision to leave them out of the base game.

Anyway, the devs really need to tell us what their plans for the Chinese are and why they are completely missing from all the official material so far.

2 Likes

Yes she can be a bit picky sometimes ^^ and I am surprised that Chinese is so important for her I mean we all want Chinese civ but also it being cool and unique and this takes time and i agree with you that all the other stuff is currently more important and I am also happy if the base like graphics, unit design, mechanics and multiplayer will work correctly. Civs are the cherry on top and I wouldn’t mind to see them a bit later as long as the rest stays strong and is convincing.

“Fixing” it is not remotely enough, chinese is atrocious both gameplay and design wise, it needs a total rework otherwise many players won’t even buy the game.
It’s not about fixing some things here and there, devs have to completely redone and rebalance them in a new, revamped meta which is Retold, that means changing almost every aspect of their lackluster and uninspired identity.

1 Like

As I wrote in my long post is that AoE3DE released with 2 new civilisations, AoMR has 0 new ones. They should have at least added a remade Chinese civilisation.

2 Likes

As pointed out earlier, this time they will be much more cautious with the release of chinese after the Tale of the dragon fiasco.

Not mentioning them at all after promising a rework is not very cautious, it triggered a big wave of complaints.

“Big wave” is an exaggeration, there are many people who are happy or simply indifferent about the decision not to include the chinese.

I know the AoE3 world and I can tell you that the asymmetry in AoM is even bigger.

AoM units have absolutely nothing to do with each other and in AoE3 sometimes some units are repeated, cards or not repeated but only change the skin and stats with the same function (musket type units, for example) and the subfactions (Gods).

Besides, I realize that here they are more concerned about balance. In AoE3, civ that release, civ that is broken and they take a long time to balance it well and on top of that there are many MUs, scaring many players away.

I like that they want AoM to mix fun and balance. That’s the way to go.

2 Likes

Never knew this information. This may explains why this civ feels like going all over the place haha.

They should have paid the RotG team with their Aztec mod instead (which is such a good quality fan mod)

1 Like

We were promised a Chinese rework and we got Chines removed (apparently) so it’s not a surprise that people are upset.
And yeah it’s not a massive wave but it is a big wave, I’d say.

I know no one want’s to have the Chinese as is added to AoMR, that was never up for debate (I hope).

The asymmetry between civilisations in AoE3 is not equal.
Most European civilisations have a lot of overlap in units while each of them only have one economic gimmick.

But Asian, African and American civilisations are a lot more unique.
Almost all of their units are unique and they also have pretty unique economic systems and stuff. No AoM civilisation has a unique resource for example.

But with every DLC (besides US and Mexico) we got new minor civilisations and mercenaries too.

Yeah obviously none of the AoE3 civs have crazy stuff like god powers and myth units because of the setting.

The AoE3DE devs got a lot better over time. The new civs added in the DLC were a lot more balanced.
And since it’s the AoE3DE team that does AoMR I am more optimistic that they can balance things better this time.
That’s why I was optimistic that they could fix the Chinese.

One of this were the Swedes an Euro civ, which didn’t require a new buildset or a unique unit roster.

And the most work that goes into in a Euro civ is the homecity.

The most work goes into designing and balance.
The 3D assets are not actually that much work.

The Swedes brought a bunch of new unique mechanics and pretty unique units. In many ways the Swedes were the most unique civilisations when they released.
They did not have a Skirmisher/Archer unit nor a Dragoon type unit. 2 of the 5 base unit types of AoE3. Every other civ has at last 4 of them.

Also the Trops are a pretty unique mechanic on top of some other less unique mechanics they have like mercenary contracts or some of their more unique home city cards.

yeah Italians and Maltese were less unique but therefor we got more unique Mercenaries and Minor Civilisations in the same DLC.