Will there be future improvements to the game?

I apologize if this has been asked already, but worth bringing to the first page anyway:

Aside from general bugs, the two major gameplay issues people seem to have are AI pathfinding and farm seeding.

Will gameplay issues such as these be addressed in the future, or will there only be bug patches?

I hope so - I think they would really extend the life of the game.

Well there’s no problem at all with farm Seeding though. Pathfinding in the other hand …

Valid question. Personally I am waiting for ELO ratings which was promised a long time ago now. Don’t see what the hold up is.

Also agree that pathfinding is horrid.

This could be possible… if there are more players asking ($$$$) extra content.

They need to improve customized scenarios. :stuck_out_tongue: (more options like some sort of ‘trigers?’ more options? more control over what tech or unit can or cannot be made? Like, anything that improves the current status of map edition) The fact that players could make their own maps and scenarios could really help the game on the LONG TERM, this what made AoE II still popular today. They have communities of people that build maps & campaigns, etc.

@kinzo said:
Well there’s no problem at all with farm Seeding though. Pathfinding in the other hand …

They should have added the ability to que farms at the Granary, like you can at the Mill in AoE II. It’s absolutely maddening having to constantly re-seed each farm manually

I don’t really understand why they would go to the trouble to redo the graphics and remaster the game at all and not make at least a few minor gameplay fixes.

@Augustusman said:
This could be possible… if there are more players asking ($$$$) extra content.

I hope they don’t charge for small DLCs to make these changes. I would have been willing to pay more for the initial release if it included improvements like these.

I realize there is only so much that can be changed before having to use a new engine and start from scratch, but, farm seeding and AI are minor, yes? I thought AoE and AoK used the same engine, but AoK AI is much improved.

@Teutonic_knight said:
I don’t really understand why they would go to the trouble to redo the graphics and remaster the game at all and not make at least a few minor gameplay fixes.

To be honest my greatest grudge against the game is the multiplayer state of the game. Lobby is slow, non pratical and misses alot of feature that is available on the older game (website like zone.com, which was microsoft. And nowadays voobly and even Game Ranger). So that and the pathfinding, which make siege and other range unit even stronger than they already are.

Things like farm seeding, while you can find it bothersome is a design choice and work exactly as wanted. A tips to reseed with current system, if your only idle villager is the farmers you just use the idle hotkey “,” while right clicking at their feet. It have been discussed alot already as soon as the forum opened (along with gates).

I think it plays well but…

The lack of a lobby system, like the Zone or Voobly is a massive barrier to a community forming here.

Legions seem to get ‘stuck together’ from time to time.

The lack of an ELO, despite having such in beta, makes it hard for hosts to balance teams, again screwing the community in the long run.

I’m happy with it ultimately but open goals have been missed. I suspect the team has now moved to AOK so don’t expect anything else.

Still love it though :slight_smile:

I sent them a message, i think that probably dosent count but if all that want a rating system send them a request should be a good try

Being able to play on custom scenario maps is a big deal. Having a way of sharing and using those scenarios like on Steam Workshop is necessary. Will they add such a feature? We waited 20 years and it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. We purchased on copy to see if it is worth playing, the other copies we won’t be buying unless basic features like the ability to share scenarios is implemented.

Being able to select basic unit formations would be nice, or at least have the units move in a square even if you can’t change it.

The game is beautiful but it’s wasted watching the units haplessly try to find their way around in an unorganized mess

@Teutonic_knight said:
Being able to select basic unit formations would be nice, or at least have the units move in a square even if you can’t change it.

The game is beautiful but it’s wasted watching the units haplessly try to find their way around in an unorganized mess
Simply resign.

The mess is what makes battles look epic :slight_smile: They aren’t just a bunch of boxes with units impossibly close together

@Penelinfi said:
The mess is what makes battles look epic :slight_smile: They aren’t just a bunch of boxes with units impossibly close together

In AoE II they have formations but generally break them once engaged. What’s wrong with that??

It’s very difficult to find a matching opponent… without a ladder…

It would be fun if the ladder could help us split teams like 1 expert & 2 avg & 1 newbie vs. 1 expert & 2 avg & 1 newbie for example.

@Qaex said:
They need to improve customized scenarios. :stuck_out_tongue: (more options like some sort of ‘trigers?’ more options? more control over what tech or unit can or cannot be made? Like, anything that improves the current status of map edition) The fact that players could make their own maps and scenarios could really help the game on the LONG TERM, this what made AoE II still popular today. They have communities of people that build maps & campaigns, etc.

Agree on this one. Triggers are maybe too much to ask since none of the campaigns have them, makes you a bit more creative in the mission-building.
But, the lack of the zoom levels in the editor, and a proper ‘eraser’ would be a welcome addition (I use water for the most part, but it is hard to switch all the time) That said, the menu-types in the editor are dated as well. I found it very hard to find the right terrains, because (thankfully) there are a lot more of them.
Also the messaging is ‘broken’? I can’t type normal in the history, or hits, or instruction section, when I want to type, it moves places I don’t want to type, very hard to correct grammer (:P) mistakes in those situations.
The same goes for how the text is displayed when playing it as a campaign. I found the text-box too small, smaller than the ‘message’ section in the editor where you type, giving it a whole different view then intended.

Oh and also, how do we delete cliffs? I’ve never been capable to! >:( It just won’t delete. I ASSUME there has to be a way around? Or just one more bug?

@Quax Just edit it over again using small terrain or water tiles.

And some more information to your likings:
https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/15673/some-insights-on-ai-in-aoe-de-and-a-couple-of-suggested-features