Windowed mode still worthless (functionally)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: ((46295)) version 101.101.46295.0 6421374
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

If you play the game in windowed mode, the mouse is improperly clamped to the window. Basic gameplay elements like scrolling around the map, and making sure I don’t accidentally resize or close out of the game is incredibly difficult.

I prefer to play with a smaller window and never really got around to reporting this bug when the game was released, but it’s been impossible to play windowed mode for its entirety.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Launch the game
  2. Select windowed mode instead of full screen / borderless
  3. Try to play the game and realize that your mouse is constrained to the game improperly and it becomes basically unplayable

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
I would hope that the mouse would be properly constrained to the game, so that when i’m trying to pan around the map and play quickly I don’t start randomly resizing the window

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

While in game, can easily click ‘close’ by accident. Can also resize window, and select the other options listed at the top-right.

https://i.gyazo.com/ec1e0433e8d17ba10b7620268090fb0f.jpg

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

*N/A, not gameplay-related

2 Likes

Yeah, I tried to play windowed, the window got re-sized a bit through the match somehow, much to my non-liking

I wish the game had a ‘windowed borderless’ view available, too, so we don’t see the weird border all the way around the screen with a title bar at the top. This view would be like what other games do where it’s, essentially, full-screen view yet recognized by OBS that it’s windowed so OBS works.

3years later… Still can’t play “borderless windowed” and “custom windowed”. A change in the making? For different multiscreens config this would be saving!

They also haven’t fixed the game speed UI for 3 years.

Many basic features are simply not attended to.

Thanks for bumping the issue, I’ve reported it to the team.

1 Like

I’m having a very similar issue. I’ve been using windowed mode since the bottom 2 cm of my laptop’s screen got glitched and opaque, and that mode doesn’t allow me to scroll the map upwards when the cursor goes through the title bar. Moreover, it also doesn’t allow me to resize the window height. I will be able to take my laptop to repair its screen only next week.

1 Like

Options - Interface - Clamp Mouse to Window.
Did you try this option?

2 Likes

Thanks! It worked, now I can scroll the map in all directions :smiley:
Edit: Unfortunately my laptop’s screen problem has worsened some minutes ago, and now I can’t play AOE2 in any mode anymore. I will really need to get it repaired as soon as possible.

2 Likes