Xbox(PC)+Steam - Problems with crossplay and joining lobby

@dededoritos I’m having the cross play issue with a friend of mine. Can you please help me find a solution? This was a childhood favorite game of mine and it is extremely disappointing that I can not enjoy the game with my friend.

Welcome to the forums jay! We sure can try. Can you give further explanation on what is your problem?

@dededoritos So my friend is on the steam version and I am on the xbox game pass for PC version. When we first started playing, my friend was able to join the game I created in the lobby. We played for about 30 minutes before the game shutdown on us. After that, neither of us could see each others games that we created in the lobby. We are able to join games and play with each other that other people create. Both of us see games that are created by steam and xbox players. Any ideas on how to fix this? Side note: we both have killer internet and top of the line PCs.

This could be a lot of things (and I kinda suspect version incompability, but I could be very wrong), but just make sure that your windows and AoE are up to date beforehand, and check again if crossplay is enabled at the settings menu for both of you.

The game currently have some problems with the invite system and with the lobby system also. Sometimes invites will not work, for no reason; and there is this problem that some lobbies won’t show up at the browser, mostly foreign server lobbies.

Since you guys play at different platforms the easiest way to invite each other sould be joining the same clan, since you’ll always be available at the ingame invite list as a option to invite each other to a lobby. But you could also try to search for recent players.

For lobbies not showing up, there is no much to do, specially if you two play from different regions. Just make sure to check if the browsing options are set to display all lobbies, from all regions, with every settings, etc.

@dededoritos Thank you for the help! Creating the clan and adding him was exactly what needed to happen to allow us to play together. Invites work like a charm.

1 Like

Glad to hear! Have a great time playing.

When will this bug be fixed ??? @ Microsoft

game doesn’t work. It was working just fine last week

Yeah, prior to the recent patch, I was able to create a private lobby and have a friend join. Post-patch, he couldn’t find my lobby, or any lobbies whatsoever. After troubleshooting for 20-30 minutes tonight, with reboots, router/network adapter power cyclings, and me having to re-create the lobby 6 or 7 times and send 10 or 15 invites to him, he finally clicked the “Enable Crossplay” checkbox on a whim, and that fixed it.

Right about the same time he did this, I had just found a steamcommunity discussion where a developer seemed to say last month: " The team has discovered the culprit. You CAN stay signed into Xbox Live, but will need to ensure that you’ve ENABLED CROSSPLAY before you can see the multiplayer lobbies. This is by design, though it has highlighted an area where we can do a better job communicating the functionality."

Same problem here oonly xbox users, no steam players, can’t play with friends, lot of waiting to find a match 2vs2 or 3vs3 etc… common Microsoft !

where is checkbox “enable crossplay”. i cant find it

how to check version on microsoft ? its easy to check on steam

My friend and I had the same problem.
If you install AoE from the Microsoft Store you have to update it again because you need to have the same version like your friends to play with them.

The enable crossplay button is in the options at the tab “game”.
You can see your version in the mainmenu at the bottom.

Have fun :smiley:

So I bought the game yesterday and i still cant figure out how to play with my Steam friends…
Its not showing an update in the Microsoft store…

I bought the game 3 weeks ago and Im not able to play multiplayer, I can´t even get into multiplayer lobby. I tried disconecting crossplay button and it doesn´t work. I play on steam, any help please¿?

Can you please ensure that crossplay is enabled in the settings menu (under ‘Game’)?

Can you please ensure that your game is up-to-date? The main menu screen should display the following number:

If it does not, you can force-update your game by following these instructions:

1. Open the Microsoft Store.
  2. Click the [ ∙ ∙ ∙ ] symbol next to your profile picture.
  3. Select Downloads and updates.
  4. Press the Get updates button to automatically detect, download, and install the latest changes to your game!

I hope that helps!

I have the same problem. I tried to force update in Microsoft store by following your instructions : no updates found.
My version is 101.101.36202.0 but I HAVE NOT 4819260 but 0 instead.

In the lobby, I can watch other game in the dedicated tab, but not in the unranked tab.