Yes, we would BUY new DLC for this game!

According to devs Aoe2 is direct upgrade of Aoe1. Even I wouldn’t have liked if they would have made AoE1 just a another skin for AoE2

What do you people mean by “skin”? Like, being able to play the original campaigns directly from AoE2DE? I mean, as long as they would’ve maintained the art style and the features/gameplay, that could’ve turned pretty well, IMO.

In fact I would’ve liked that more than what we actually got. I think Lords of the West will be supported with updates and bugfixes, which would be still more than what AoE1DE got since release (at least considering the Steam version).

2 Likes

Under skin: I think it means if they would have made AoE1 as AoE2 mod. Same engine, same rules, only building and units look like it would be AoE1, but everything else acts like its AoE2.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I get it. I wouldn’t have liked it being that way either!

2 Likes

As a start, I believe we should have a DLC adding the main Celtic tribes the Romans had to deal with -Gauls, Germanics and Britons, and new campaigns telling their stories of resistance against them.

Next, three or four south Asian kingdoms, like the Mauryans. That settles the ground for a whole campaign about Alexander’s empire.

5 Likes

I would love Beyond the Indus dev(s) joining forces with Forgotten Empires. I would pay for a well made DLC including the mod’s original content, plus some other new stuff such as a campaign, real-life-inspired maps, and of course its soundtrack.

7 Likes

To be frank, I would still buy every DLC. AoE1DE needs FREE bugfixing, yes, but especially it is in need of content. It is a disappointment that even in the definitive edition, the game did not receive any new expansions…

Besides, spending money on the game could serve as a motivation for devs to create and release even more content. Or that’s how I like to see it, at least.

7 Likes

Interesting opinion. Europe’s very rich civilization wise. Although I would not limit myself to think that way. If they create and publish new content, of a high quality, there’s a very high chance people will buy it, no matter which civs are to be involved.

3 Likes

I would also very much like this merger to create a new expansion for AGE 1: DE. This mod (beyond the indus) despite not being released, even created a manual. Through this manual we can see many interesting things among them: upgrades to Slinger, Scout, Camel Rider units. And new units, Spearman - anti-cavalry unit from the tool age and Caravan - trade unit (similar to Trade Boat), thus adding land trade. But I confess that I would like even more, such as: an upgrade to the new Spearman unit (bronze age), upgrade to Axeman (bronze age), upgrade to Chariot Archer (Iron Age) and Elephant Archer (Iron Age) ). I would also like you to add a siege unit anti siege unit, with point blank attack, 1 or 2 range (flamethrower). Another thing I liked about the manual are the technologies: Civil Service (iron age), Hide Shield (tool age), Lookouts (tool age), Pottery (tool age) and Weaving (tool age). but I would also like more technologies (at least 10. Among them, one similar to Theocracy (from age 2), so that during the conversation using several priests, only one should compose himself.

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=6577&f=4,6577,0,10&st=275

5 Likes

Well said, bro.
Give us some new content ! Take my money!

6 Likes

Game could use new tech for towers which would make them little bit better. Tech would be “Arrow slits” which gives +2 damage to towers and it could be either bronze or iron age tech.

The invention of the arrowslit is attributed to Archimedes during the siege of Syracuse in 214–212 BC (although archaeological evidence supports their existence in Egyptian Middle Kingdom forts around 1860 BC)

6 Likes

I like your idea. Could also work as a small defensive bonus against all kinds of projectiles.

5 Likes

Problem is we lack a decent RTS game for bronze age and antiquity that meets present-day standards. They could make AOE1 DE one of such games but they abandoned it.
Surely gameplay-wise AOE1 is something like an “AOE2 but unpolished”, but I don’t know how many players value historical settings as much as gameplay. Chariots and Knights to me are totally different, even though they might play like the exact same unit but reskined in the game (yes I know they function a little differently but I can’t find a better example).

AOM is nice but not so historical.
There is a nice open-source game called 0AD but the scope is very limited (Successors and late Roman Republic, literally around 0ad).

If the devs decide to re-juvenate the series I sincerely hope they could get back to bronze age and antiquity for at least one game, instead of, e.g. releasing three medieval RTS games in ten years.

7 Likes

Well I would say that Rome 2 Total War is good RTS game in that time, but its also turn based empire leading game not only RTS.

1 Like

True. Total war feels kind of a different genre, and the scope is rather limited.

They could have rebooted the AoE franchise with a remake of AoE 1, but no, they had to do more of the same, middle-ages again and again…what a wasted opportunity.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t buy any DLC as long as the game is brokren.

I bought the game the 16 november. I played 3 days. Since the update of 19 november, i can’t launch the game. 0 help from dev. It’s a know issues. 2 months passed and i can’t play.
https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game-wont-start-after-update/108974

a shame

3 Likes

You are talking about AoE2DE?

1 Like

We are talking about the first game.

1 Like

I was replying to KarmaRapiere934. Since there was no update to AoE1DE in 19nov but there was one for AoE2DE.

3 Likes