5 plausible civs for a new DLC expansion centered on Asia

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the forum, hope I’ll have a great time in the community. I’m a big fan of this game cause I’m a big fan of history and I love every game that is based on history, and I think this game has become a legend now, since it’s more than 20 years old and is still getting new expansions.

Right now I think we have too many European civs, and with the upcoming DLC we will have two more European civs (the Sicilians and Burgundians), Europe will become saturated with civs, and I feel this would make the game appear somewhat Eurocentric. There were also many splendid civs in other parts of the world, in Asia, Africa, and the Americas, that should have been added into the game, yet haven’t really got the chance. Since I’m Asian and I’m rather familiar with Asian history (I’ll leave Africa and America to those who’re familiar with the history of those two regions), I came up with a proposal of 5 Asian civs that could possibly make up a new expansion, perhaps we could call this new expansion Silk and Spice Kingdoms, since all 5 have played an important role in medieval trade and commerce. In fact I originally posted my proposal a few months ago on Reddit, yet it didn’t get any attention, so I’ll paste it here to see if we could have some interesting discussions. Without further ado, let’s jump straight into it.

Nanzhao (738 - 1253)

Civilization type: Monk and Archer

Architecture: Generic East Asian (a new generic East Asian architecture set shared with Chinese, Vietnamese, and Koreans; Japanese would continue using the current East Asian set, while Mongols would use a new Inner Asian set along with the Tanguts)

In-game language: controversial, the ethnicity of the ruling elite of Nanzhao is still hotly debated in the academic circles, with some saying they spoke a Loloish language (a close proxy would be Burmese) while others saying that they spoke a Daic language (a close proxy would be Thai). Chinese would also likely have been used by the literati or the court officials of Nanzhao. In my opinion, if you wanna be historically accurate, then let them speak Burmese or Thai, however if you wanna avoid potential political troubles, then Chinese would be an option.

Wonder: the Three Pagodas of the Chongsheng Temple

Civilization bonuses:

Start with a free water buffalo

Monastery provides +5 population

Starting from the Feudal Age, all Archery Range units gain +1 pierce armor with each advancement in age (Feudal Age +1 / Castle Age + 1 / Imperial Age +1), for a total of +3 pierce armor

Have access to the unique economic building Tea Garden after researching the Imperial Age UT

Team bonus:

Monastery +2 LOS (8 instead of the normal 6)

Castle Age UT: Lacquered Leather Armor, monks and battle elephants gain +2 pierce armor (Food 200 Gold 250)

Imperial Age UT: Tea and Horse Road, gains +70 gold with each newly built Stable, and grants access to the unique economic building the Tea Garden (Food 500 Gold 500). The Tea Garden auto-generates resources just like the Feitoria, and takes up 15 population. However unlike the Feitoria it only generates food and gold but not wood and stone. It costs 200 gold and 200 stone to build a Tea Garden.

UU1: Luojuzi, a skirmisher with high HP and the speed of a Eagle Warrior, and unlike normal skirmishers this one costs gold to train. According to Xin Tang Shu (new records of the Tang Dynasty) compiled by the Song historian Ouyang Xiu, Luojuzi was the title given to the elite troops of the Nanzhao army. These troops were trained for speed and endurance, wore a red lacquered leather helmet and a bronze buckler shield. They were likely skirmishers since the javelin was a common weapon among the tribal peoples of southern and southwestern China.

Stats

Cost: 40 Wood 40 Gold

HP: 50 / 55 (elite)

Attack: 4 / 5 (elite) pierce

Attack bonuses:

+4 / +5 (elite) vs Archer

+3 vs Spearman

+3 vs Cavalry Archer

+2 / +3 (elite) vs Cavalry

Rate of fire: 3.05

Frame delay: 5

Range: 5

Minimum range: 1

Accuracy: 95%

Projectile speed: 7

Melee armor: 0 / 1 (elite)

Pierce armor: 5 / 6 (elite)

Armor classes: Archer, Unique Unit

Speed: 1.2 / 1.3 (elite)

LOS: 7

UU2: Rattan Trooper, trained at the Barracks when Castle Age is reached, has no elite upgrade. It’s kind of similar to the Condottiero, but with higher pierce armor and lower attack bonus against Gunpowder Unit, and it’s not a shared unit among allies. The most unique feature of this unit is that on land it has a speed of 1.15, but its speed increases to 1.3 on shallows. This is to reflect the fact that compared to metal armors rattan armor is lighter and water-proof.

Stats

Cost: 35 Wood 35 Gold

HP: 75

Attack: 8 melee

Attack bonuses:

+6 vs Gunpowder Unit

+4 vs Eagle Warrior

+4 vs Swordsman (new armor class, comprises of militia and its upgrades)

+3 vs Ship

+3 vs Fishing Ship

Rate of fire: 2.0

Melee armor: 1

Pierce armor: 5

Armor classes: Infantry, Unique Unit, Rattan Trooper (new armor class that only comprises of this unit)

Speed: 1.15 (on other terrains) / 1.3 (on shallows)

LOS: 6

Tech tree:

Barracks: no Eagles and no Champion

Archery Range: no Hand Cannoneer and no Thumb Ring

Stable: no Camels, no Paladin, no Steppe Lancer, have access to the Battle Elephant but without its elite upgrade

Castle: no Hoardings

Siege Workshop: no Bombard Cannon and no Siege Onager

Dock: no Fast Fire Ship, no Heavy Demo, and no Elite Cannon Galleon

Blacksmith: no Leather Archer armor, no Ring Archer Armor, and no Bracer

Monastery: full

University: no Bombard Tower and no Treadmill Crane

Tanguts (7th century AD - 1227)

Civilization type: Monk and Cavalry

Architecture: Inner Asian (new architectural style shared with the Mongols)

In-game language: the Tanguts spoke a Tibeto-Burman language closely related to Tibetan and to the various Qiangic languages still spoken in Gansu and Sichuan today. Unfortunately the Tangut language had already become extinct, and hence Tibetan could work as a close proxy. However, if Tibetan doesn’t work due to political reasons, then Chinese could be an option as well.

Wonder: Pyramid-like tower of the Western Xia mausoleum

Civilization bonuses:

Herdable animals +2 LOS (5 instead of the normal 3)

Blacksmith techs cost 50% less food

Block Printing is free

Heavy Camel upgrade available in the Castle Age

Team bonus:

Market work rate +100% faster

Castle Age UT: Cold-Forged Armor, cavalry and cavalry archers gain +1 melee / +1 pierce armor (Food 300 Gold 200)

Imperial Age UT: Tangut Script, monks 50% more resistant to the conversion of enemy monks (Food 500 Gold 450)

UU: Camel Slinger, a mounted slinger on a camel, kind of like a combination of the Incas’ slinger and the Berbers’ camel archer. Its attack bonuses are similar to the Inca slinger.

Cost: 50 Food 60 Gold

Hitpoints: 60 / 65 (elite)

Attack: 4 / 5 (elite) pierce

Attack bonuses:

+10 vs Infantry

+10 vs Condottiero

+3 / +4 (elite) vs Ram

+1 / +2 (elite) vs Spearman

Frame delay: 5

Range: 5

Minimum range: 1

Accuracy: 70% / 80% (elite)

Projectile speed: 7

Pierce armor: 1 / 2 (elite)

Armor classes: Archer, Cavalry Archer, Camel, Unique Unit

Speed: 1.4

LOS: 5

Tech tree:

Barracks: no Eagles and no Supplies

Archery Range: no Hand Cannoneers

Stable: no Battle Elephants, no Paladin, but have access to the Steppe Lancer and its elite upgrade

Castle: full

Siege Workshop: no Bombard Cannon

Dock: no Shipwright, no Fast Fire Ship, and no Elite Cannon Galleon

Blacksmith: full

University: no Treadmill Crane

Champa (192 - 1471)

Civilization type: Navy

Architecture: Southeast Asian

In-game language: the Champa people spoke Chamic languages, which are a sub-branch of the Austronesian languages, hence Malay would be a close proxy.

Wonder: Po Klong Garai Temple

Civilization bonuses:

Galleys +1 attack in Feudal / +1 in Castle / +1 in Imperial Age, for a total of +3 attack

Dock techs and upgrades cost 20% less food

Shipwright available in Castle Age

Team bonus:

Archers +3 attack against ships

Castle Age UT: Sea Marauders, Mong Dong (their unique naval unit) +10% speed and +1 range (250 Food 200 Gold)

Imperial Age UT: Champa Rice, player and allies each receives +1000 Food (450 Food 300 Wood)

UU1: Champa Pirate, a light infantry armed with hooked spear and shield, fast and 50% more resistant to conversion than other infantry units

Cost: 60 Food 25 Gold

HP: 65 / 70 (elite)

Attack: 9 / 12 melee (elite)

Attack bonuses:

+5 / +6 (elite) vs Civilian Unit (new armor class comprised of Villagers, Trade Carts, and Trade Cogs)

+5 / +6 (elite) vs Monk

+4 vs Ship

+4 vs Fishing Ship

+3 vs Eagle Warrior

Pierce armor: 2 / 3 (elite)

Armor classes: Infantry, Unique Unit

Speed: 1.2

LOS: 5 / 7 (elite)

UU2: Mong Dong, a fast ship that fires hand cannons against enemies and has a bonus attack against infantry, basically can be seen as a hand cannoneer on water. It’s available at the dock in the Castle Age and doesn’t have an elite upgrade, though it benefits from the Castle Age UT.

Cost: Wood 90 Gold 40

HP: 130

Attack: 17 pierce

Attack bonuses:

+10 vs Infantry

+6 vs Ship

+6 vs Fishing Ship

+5 vs Ram

+3 vs Spearman

Rate of fire: 3.45

Frame delay: 15

Range: 7 / 8 (after researching Sea Marauders)

Accuracy: 65%

Projectile speed: 5.5

Melee armor: 0

Pierce armor: 8

Armor classes: Ship, Gunpowder Unit, Unique Unit

Speed: 1.43 / 1.57 (after researching Sea Marauders)

LOS: 8

Tech tree:

Barracks: no Eagles and no Champion

Archery Range: no Parthian Tactic and no Heavy Cavalry Archer

Stable: no Camels, no Hussar, no Paladin, and no Steppe Lancer, but have access to Battle Elephants and Elite Battle Elephants

Castle: no Hoardings

Siege Workshop: no Siege Ram and no Siege Onager

Dock: no Dry Dock

Blacksmith: no Plate Barding Armor

Monastery: no Heresy

University: no Arrowslits

Siamese (13th century onward)

Civilization type: Gunpowder and Elephant

Architecture: Southeast Asian

In-game language: Thai

Wonder: Wat Chedi Liam

Civilization bonuses:

Receive 100 Wood and 50 Stone when advancing age

Gunpowder Units +10% speed

Elite Battle Elephant upgrade costs 30% less and is researched 50% faster

Battle Elephants attack +15% faster

Team bonus:

Bombard Cannons and Petards +2 pierce armor

Castle Age UT: Krabi Krabong, infantry units (that is to say, all units belonging to the infantry armor class) gain +2 attack vs infantry (300 Food 300 Gold)

Imperial Age UT: Phrai Luang, villagers created +100% faster, and War Elephants (that is to say, all units with the War Elephant armor class) cost 20% less gold (500 Food 400 Gold)

UU1: Elephant Gunner, an elephant with a small cannon mounted on its back, and shoots a similar projectile as the one fired from Hand Cannoneers or Janissary. However, unlike the other two its projectile has an area of effect. It deals bonus damage against infantry, rams, and defensive structures.

Cost: Food 120 Gold 90 (72 Gold after researching the Imperial Age UT)

HP: 260 / 300 (elite)

Attack: 17 / 20 pierce (elite)

Attack bonuses:

+10 vs Infantry

+8 vs Wall and Gate

+6 / +8 (elite) vs Stone Defense

+6 / +8 (elite) vs Ram

+6 vs Castle

Blast radius: 0.1

Rate of fire: 3.49

Frame delay: 15

Range: 8

Accuracy: 60%

Projectile speed: 5.5

Melee armor: 1 / 2 (elite)

Pierce armor: 4 / 5 (elite)

Armor classes: Cavalry, War Elephant, Siege Weapon, Gunpowder Unit, Unique Unit

Speed: 0.88 (originally 0.8, but +10% speed as a civ bonus for gunpowder units)

LOS: 7

UU2: Imperial Battle Elephant (could also be called Naresuan’s Elephant), an upgrade of the Elite Battle Elephant. The upgrade costs 1400 Food and 1000 Gold, and takes 120 seconds to complete.

Cost: Food 120 Gold 70 (56 Gold after researching the Imperial Age UT)

HP: 400

Attack: 16 melee

Attack bonuses:

+12 vs Building

+12 vs Stone Defense

Blast radius: 0.4

Melee armor: 2

Pierce armor: 4

Armor classes: Cavalry, War Elephant

Speed: 0.85

LOS: 6

Tech tree:

Barracks: no Eagles

Archery Range: no Parthian Tactic

Stable: no Camels, no Paladin, and no Steppe Lancer

Siege Workshop: no Siege Ram and no Siege Onager

Dock: no Heavy Demo

University: no Arrowslits and no Siege Engineers

Tamils (3rd century BC - 1279)

Civilization type: Navy and Elephant

Architecture: Indian

In-game language: Tamil

Wonder: Brihadisvara Temple

Civilization bonuses:

Receives 1 free villager in Feudal, 2 in Castle, and 3 in Imperial Age

Guilds and Banking are free

All ships cost 15% less wood and are created 20% faster

Battle Elephants +5 attack vs Cavalry

Elite Battle Elephant upgrade available in Castle Age

Team bonus:

Farm returns half its cost (that is to say, 30 wood) when destroyed

Castle Age UT: Wootz Steel, swordsman (the militia line) +4 attack (400 Food 300 Gold)

Imperial Age UT: Watertight Compartment, ships auto-regenerate lost HP (similar to what Maghrabi Camels do to Camels) (700 Food 400 Gold)

UU1: Urumi, a ranged melee infantry with splash damage

Cost: 40 Food 40 Gold

HP: 40 / 50 (elite)

Attack: 11 / 13 (elite) melee (5 damage to adjacent units in a 1 tile radius)

Attack bonuses:

+2 vs Infantry

+2 vs Eagle Warrior

+1 / +2 (elite) vs Siege Weapon

Rate of fire: 2.5

Range: 2

Pierce armor: 0 / 1 (elite)

Armor classes: Infantry, Unique Unit

Speed: 1.1

LOS: 5 / 6 (elite)

UU2: Thirisadai, a heavy warship that throws stones at the enemy, basically an onager on water, available only in the Imperial Age, and has no elite upgrade. It also has the ability to attack ground and kill trees just like an onager.

Cost: Wood 190 Gold 200

HP: 200

Attack: 50 melee

Attack bonuses:

+45 vs Building

+12 vs Siege Weapon

+10 vs Ship

+5 vs Turtle Ship

Blast radius: 1.25

Rate of fire: 10

Frame delay: 0

Range: 8

Minimum range: 3

Accuracy: 90%

Projectile speed: 3.5

Melee armor: 2

Pierce armor: 8

Armor classes: Ship, Siege Weapon, Unique Unit

Speed: 1

LOS: 8

Tech tree

Barracks: no Eagles, no Champion, and no Supplies

Archery Range: no Heavy Calvary Archer

Stable: no Heavy Camel, no Cavalier and Paladin, and no Steppe Lancer

Siege Workshop: no Heavy Scorpion

Dock: no Shipwright and no Elite Cannon Galleon

University: no Treadmill Crane, no Arrowslits

16 Likes

This is way too strong, as it allows you to efficiently convert Wood to Gold, all throughout the game, and you get a host of nifty recruitment building in the process.

It is basically another Condottiero, which already is the only real bonus Italians have on Land maps, and it would be unfair for them, to give it to another civ.

The rest on Nanzhao seems pretty coll, though.

Ah, the not-Tibetans!

It is a bit of an upgraded Tatars Silk Armour UT. Maybe it should not affect Light Cavalry at all, maybe even not Cav Archers, and just stick to affecting Camels and Knights, for variety’s sake.

I always wanted a Camel Gunner in the game, but I guess a Sliger is fine too…
Slings do deserve a bit more representation in the game, however, and I am still sad AoE1 never introduced a Heavy/Elite Slingers, specially when it introduced Carthage, which used to hire elite Balearic Slingers, which were considered better than any Archer in the world, at the time.

Way too strong, specially when they do not even miss Galleon or Bracer.
Galley line units are already the strongest Ship by far, when massed. They literally kill everything else that is not a Castle very fast. +3 attack is way too strong for them.

What the Caravel should have been. Seriously, ballistae bolts are an insult to the first full-gunpowder ship in History.

I like it, but historically it is more of an AoE3 thing.
If a Siege UU with good Range is added to a Castle, maybe this could be the first civ without Trebuchet, as compensation for getting Cannon in the Castle Age.

This is cool.

After the Sea Scorpion, we get a Sea Mangonel too?
Sea Ram when?

Most of these are balanced enough, I think. I like your suggestions.

5 Likes

I’m agree in almost everything with JonOli. Great ideas for new civs.

I have to say it. F for balance, but shallows should reduce speed of all units (with different % for differents units). This really would adding a new strategies, like ambushs and things like that.
This Rattan trooper could be the unique unit in game that is not affected by shallows’ penalty.

2 Likes

Thanks to all civ concept thinkers, I’m learning a new civ each day. I for one would love to see Siamese in game.

2 Likes

I really miss Siamese as a South East Asian civ. Another one that I can think of is Laotian - Luong Prabang is a UNESCO heritage site. Both are factions included in Khmer & Burmese campaigns. If people are going to suggest civs (from any region), it looks like they always include a campaign/hero to them as well.

2 Likes

Siamese can cove them really well, the Thai people are distributed as:
Includes Laos

6 Likes

Expect a ban if you try to introduce Tamils and Indians in the same game because Tamils are an Indian. Rename the original Indians if you want to introduce more civs from the subcontinent.

Makes no sense, only the North of India was called India at the time, because that is where the European Merchants actually did business before the Age of Discovery, then it changed the name to Indies (plural) when they found out there was more.

Like Saracens are already named after an European convention, you could keep Indians in the same boat.

The Japanese also did not call themselves thusly, and the Aztecs were called Mexica.

2 Likes

Entire subcontinent is called India.

1 Like

Nowadays, before it was called Indies, and only the North was called India to Europeans, as they could not get access to the South.

@ULTRAMAG5762 please put some light upon him.

No point arguing with him. India, what was known as Bharat, covered the entirity of present day Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Burma, Uzbekistan, Khmer, Siam, Vietnam, Malay, Lanka and of course India at one point.

Yes, India was a big place, not even a kingdom, to the majority of the world’s merchants, at the time.

However, when refering to India as a Medieval European, you would be speaking about the northern part, where Alexander stopped and the Silk Road crossed, not the southern part.

When people found out it was bigger and had many kingdoms, it became called the Indies (multiple Indias).

Foreigners opinion for a country doesn’t matter.

It matters as much as a civ being named Saracens, when muslims themselves never called each other Saracens.

This game always took European naming conventions.

@JonOli12 I agree with your points in your first post, except the following two.

The way I see it, the only comparison between the proposed Rattan Trooper and the Condottiero are that they are Unique Units trained from the Barracks that have no further upgrades. They are available at a different age, have different stats and serve different purposes. I think it is unfair to call them ‘basically Condottiero’. It’s like saying a Rattan Archer is ‘basically a Plumed Archer, so it is unfair for the Mayans to give Vietname Rattan Archers’.

Consider that the Saracen Galley line attacks 25% faster. This bonus of the Saracens is clearly not OP, since the Saracens are not even considered to be a top 3 naval civilization. Now let’s compare this to the Galley line of the proposed Champa civilization.

A Galley has 6 base attack, +8 vs ships, and 6 pierce armor. Assuming Fletching, a Galley deals 9 damage to another Galley. As such, +1 attack to Galleys in the Feudal Age means that Galleys deal +11% damage to other Galleys.
A War Galley has 7 base attack, +9 vs ships, and 6 pierce armor. Assuming Bodkin Arrow, a War Galley deals 12 damage to another War Galley. As such, +2 attack to War Galleys in the Castle Age means that War Galleys deal +17% damage to other War Galleys.
A Galleon has 8 base attack, +11 vs ships, and 8 pierce armor. Assuming FU (so +4 attack, but also +1 PA), a Galleon deals 14 damage to another Galleon. As such, +3 attack to Galleons in the Imperial Age means that Galleons deal +21% damage to other Galleons.

Conclusion: Champa Galleys would lose to Saracen Galleys in every single age. Therefore, there is no reason to call this bonus OP. To the contrary, the bonus may be quite mild.

1 Like

Why is uzbekistan considered barath?

i think Champa, while being a great water civ, it would be absolutely awful on land play.

Well, that’s kind of historically accurate actually. They were a quite formidable naval power in medieval SE Asia, but on land they often lost to Khmers and to Dai Viet.

But I think they wouldn’t be that awful on land. They have Champa Pirates that can counter Eagles and raid Villagers, and they also have access to the Battle Elephants and can upgrade them to elite.

Thanks for your amazing suggestions, much appreciated

1 Like