Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Getting Return of Rome DLC

I thought EXACTLY the same. This topic might even breat the record of thw Porto topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they keep us waiting for 6 months like before, then it will.

1 Like

Unforunately, we will definately wait 4-6 more months. Just my speculation.

They have a lot to do and improve. I don’t have a clue if they will give AOE2 content with the pack

I hope for non ancient Wonder for Romans civ.

Curious how did you know that?

Cringe not being a fan of it. I can’t wait to replay the campaigns using AOE2 engine, UI and all the great features for such an amazing campaign design

Avars/Magyars(they were actually going to be named as Magyars instead of Huns back in Conqueror expansion) somewhat of are continuation of Huns. Altho hugely debated.

I kinda thought the Mongols were descendants of the Huns (hence the shared voice clips), but I suppose that’s just speculation with no real evidence.

Thats not even speculation, thats just directly not true

Huns were Turkic people that disapeared in Europe. Completely unrelated

5 Likes

Okay, I’m not sure where I got that idea then.

From 18th century French scholar believing Huns and Xiongnu were related to each other.

Possibly also from Disney’s Mulan, in which the “Huns” do appear to be Mongols, at least to a western audience.

If I recall correctly, c. 2000 it was quite common to think Huns and Mongols were essentially the same (among laypeople, not historians).

1 Like

Eurasian steppe and Central Asia has always been quite chaotic throughout ancient and medieval history because the peoples had little first-hand records of themselves.
I think people that emerged from the steppes historically (no matter they migrated east or west) should be somewhat related, language-wise and cultural-wise. Though the relationship between some may be much weaker.

Just an addition to this:
In the movie the enemies were called “Huns” and the heroes were fighting for some Chinese imperial dynasty.

First of all we now generally believe the Xiongnu people which threatened ancient China were not so much related to the Huns in the West, so the name is a misuse.

Secondly the setting of Ballad of Mulan (the source of the movie) is usually interpreted to be the Northern Wei dynasty, which was a Han-ized dynasty of the Xianbei people, which themselves were steppe peoples.

And their enemy in the ballad was likely the Rouran people, which were another steppe people, still nomadic.

The “true” Xiongnu people (which used to be confused with the Huns) almost ceased to exist at that time period. Their remnants were incorporated into either Han (for those that migrated to the south) or other steppe peoples, including Northern Wei and Rouran.

Many of these concepts predated the clearer distinction of Mongolic or Turkic peoples. When the Mongol nation formed they united a lot of peoples from the steppes, and at that time the Huns may be an ancient, distant relative to them because they migrated westwards long ago.

TLDR: Mulan’s nationality is likely Northern Wei (a Han-Chinese-ized steppe people) who fought Rouran (another steppe people) and the latter is neither Hunnic nor Xiongnu. They all predated the Mongols we know later.

3 Likes

Yeah,with campaigns of Tamar of Georgia (1184-1213) and Ashot I of Armenia (862-890)…

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

Who are they ? I don’t know them.

Tamar the Great was a famous queen of Georgia who led campaigns against her Muslim neighbors and also ended up fighting the Byzantine Empire. Ashot I was a major, early king of Armenia who greatly expanded the territory of Armenia, basically making it a power in its own right.

4 Likes

Yeah,her helps to the Comneno Dynasty after their fall for the Sack of Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade and expands the Georgian frontiers against the Sultanate of Rum (Turks),the Ayyubids (Sarracens) and the Persians…

True but you know full well that he means ethnicity