Any hints for "Porto" AOE2 DLC?

Personally I will be definately disappointed if we see another italian sub-faction or other european faction. We already have too many

9 Likes

I highly doubt there be venetian civ… If we are talking about hints then there are many for indian civs… like -

• In a previous patch hindi text was fixed

• There is a new south asian based tournament

• Porto can mean " Porto Grande de Bengala" which was another name of chittagong in bengal.

3 Likes

T-West posted a video yesterday - “Ram vs Bengal”

I commented “Bengal new civ confirmed” and he gave the comment a heart.
He gives heart to almost every comment. So I don’t think this is a hint.

5 Likes

I’d definitely be disappointed if it were the Venetians, but I won’t if it is a European faction like the Wallachians or Serbo-croats. I mean the first one has a campaign already. They just need to add the civ!

But I do not think the new DLC will have European or Caucasus civs.

3 Likes

The only relevant european power during that time which is currently missing is Venice. I don’t think it would be such a bad addition to the game

6 Likes

They are literally called Italians.

3 Likes

Italians are a mix of lombards and genoese

4 Likes

Venetians are Italians so they are already represented in the game

1 Like

If so, why the lepanto scenario is played using the spanish civ? Doesn’t make any sense Battle of Lepanto - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Venetian ships financed by Spanish money.

1 Like

According to wikipedia the Spanish king used money obly to hire 6000 italians mercenaries

2 Likes

More importantly, why are Venitians still represented by Byzantines and Portuguese in campaigns, including the Italian ones? It almost look like the devs for the DE always planned to give them their own civ.

4 Likes

Now we probably already know that the next civ included in the future DLC will be the Venetians civ. The question now is what will the next civ be?

Most likely candidates:

1. Aragonese / Catalans
  2. Serbs*
  3. Croatians*

*Serbs and Croats could be merged into one South Slavic civ

5 Likes

In my opinion this would be the best option as adding Aragonese / Catalans would be far less attractive than adding South Slavic civ. Combining Serbs and Croats into one civ would save one civ slot. Serbo-Croatians civ (working name) could contain both the features of both civ and Slovenian. In the Middle Ages, Serbs and Croats used the same language, the difference between them was mainly due to religion (Croats were Catholics and Serbs Orthodox). I think that if such a combined civ was created, the creators would know how to do it to make it an interesting civilization and acceptable to Croatian and Serbian players. Additionally, adding such a civ would finally complete the breaking of the Slavic umbrella - then also the Slavs civ could change the name to Ruthenians civ.

1 Like

So were Sicilians till they got their own civi.

3 Likes

If we put Serbs & Croatians in one Civ, it’ll be a flame war! The jingle will have to be Hej Sloveni!

2 Likes

Another thing, If the Spanish are the next European Civ to be split, I think the Aragonese/Catalans/Valencians have to be joined by the Navarrese/Basque.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a big waste.

Anyways, Venice would even be more illogical since Italians are mostly based on them.

To people who still do not believe me:

• Domenico Selvo: The 31st Doge of Venice, serving from 1071 to 1084. During his reign as Doge, his domestic policies, the alliances that he forged, and the battles that the Venetian military won and lost laid the foundations for much of the subsequent foreign and domestic policy of the Republic of Venice.
  • Domenico Selvo: The 31st Doge of Venice, serving from 1071 to 1084. During his reign as Doge, his domestic policies, the alliances that he forged, and the battles that the Venetian military won and lost laid the foundations for much of the subsequent foreign and domestic policy of the Republic of Venice.
  • Pietro Gradenigo: The 49th Doge of Venice, reigning from 1289 to his death in 1311. He is known as a founder of the Great Council of Venice, and restricted membership of the future Councils only to the descendants of those nobles who were its members between 1293 and 1297. The oligarchic system was created as a result of this reformation.

" Succeeding centuries saw the Italians form a series of different city-states, independent entities whose rule generally did not extend beyond a central city and the surrounding villages. In Northern Italy, the fall of Charlemagne’s Holy Roman Empire, which had ousted the Lombards, caused a long period of instability that resulted in the creation of several city-states, including Milan, Genoa, Florence, and Venice. Central Italy fared somewhat better under the control of the Papacy in Rome, but when the Pope crowned the German Otto I the Holy Roman Emperor in 962, both northern and central Italy became involved in the convoluted affairs of the German city-states. On the other hand, Southern Italy remained under the control of Lombards and Byzantines until the eleventh century, when the Normans invaded the area and founded the Kingdom of Sicily."
“In terms of naval warfare, the Italian navies were among the best in Europe. The region’s geography made domination of the Mediterranean crucial for commerce and culture. Venice and Genoa used their navies to effectively form remarkable maritime empires which competed with other major European states and the Ottoman Empire.”

The only thing, in the Italian tech tree that does not fit Venice is the Pavise Crossbowmen.

1 Like

I hope a common Serbo-Croatian civ would be nice to them and they won’t be blinded by hostility.

Navarrese / Basque can be contained in an Aragonese / Catalans civ.

They are mostly Genoa.wonder uu the civi shield all are from genoa.