AOE II Dawn of the Dukes: Bohemians and Poles

Nope, they came from Persia, and were extensively used in the West. The French, for example, have a well know historical use of Mauls, for example.

" The use of the maul as a weapon seems to date from the later 14th century. During the Harelle of 1382, rebellious citizens of Paris seized 3000 mauls (French: maillet ) from the city armory, leading to the rebels being dubbed Maillotins .[2] Later in the same year, Froissart records French men-at-arms using mauls at the Battle of Roosebeke, demonstrating that they were not simply weapons of the lower classes.[3]"

Also, English Bowmen used Mauls as their Melee weapon of choice.

1 Like

yes english and french are central european.

No, they are Western Europeans.

1 Like

How can the islands of England be in the center of Europe? :rofl:

3 Likes

Let’'s just say, polish aren’t famous for their usage of war hammers.
The axes, yes they are. But Warhammers other countries come to mind. Mostly Swiss, but also many other european countries from england to italy.

“A metal-made horseman’s pick called “nadziak” was one of the main weapons of the famous Polish Winged Hussars.”

It just should have been a knight with it and the unit’s name is weird. Alas, can’t have it all.

2 Likes

I know, but winged hussars used like 5 different types of weapons.
This is also a horsemans hammer, different to a warhammer. Also because it was used from the back of a horse.
And the winged hussars were more known for their repeated lance charges.

So the question would be why they give they a secondary weapon of the winged hussar to an infantry unit… Because Polish infantry was known centuries before the first appearpances of winged hussars for their effective usage of two handed axes???

I’m jus confused. If they want to add this, they could give it to the winged hussar.

1 Like

The point is, war hammers weren’t exclusively used by their cavalry.

" Different armament was used by infantry, which marched onto the battlefield in close order formations of shield-bearers covering heavy cavalry detachments, or mobile units of bowmen and cross-bowmen, and sometimes irregulars, who used different weapons specialized to fight both foot soldiers and cavalry: war hammer, war scythe, glaive, fork, flail, morgenstern, guisarme, halberd, bardiche." (Warfare in Medieval Poland - Wikipedia)

2 Likes

The Infantry has a Polehammer, not a Horseman’s Hammer.

Wonder how much the expansion will be. It’s hard to know whether or not to pre-order AoE4 (and get DotD free deal) without knowing the expansion’s price

EDIT: Someone just said last DLC was £8, so maybe DotD will be similar.

1 Like

It was 9.99€ here so with another 2 civs and 3 campaigns like LotW i kinda thinks it will be the same price once again ^^

1 Like

Polehammer? Does this exist?

If, it’s a Warhammer. The biggest differece to poleaxes (which were actually used mostly by the british) is, that it doesn’t has a spike on the top. This takes away several practical manouvers which were only viable with “pole” weapons and not with hammers. Mostly thrusting, but also various forms of parrying.

So it’s definetely some kind of hammer. And I think the Warhammer is mostly appealing to me. And Polish aren’t known for their usage of warhammers to great success.
They should have given that to another civ. And Polish should get their famous shepherd’s axe.

1 Like

Yes. It is a pole mounted Warhammer.
It is also the more historically used variant.

" A war hammer consists of a handle and a head. The length of the handle may vary, the longest being roughly equivalent to that of a halberd (5 to 6 feet), and the shortest about the same as that of a mace (2 to 3 feet). Long war hammers were pole weapons, or polearms, meant for use against riders, whereas short ones were used in closer quarters and from horseback."

Somethink like a pole hammer just doesn’t exist.

There are war hammers and pole axes, the latter from the pictures you posted.

1 Like

No, the picture is a hammer. The wiki itself says that Warhammer often were put on polearm handles.

It’s still just a warhammer. period

1 Like

My theory is that it’s some sort of “all-in-one” mill + lumbercamp + mining camp, maybe a bit more expensive that a generic mill/camp, but that allows drop off of all resources in one place.

4 Likes

If its more expensive then it becomes a bit pointless honestly.

6 Likes

looks just like a special form of mill to me.
But there is one with a flag on it and one without. Does this have a meaning?

It would change the strategy. If it were 150 wood, but you would replace a mill, lumber camp and mining camp, you could potentially save 150 wood. It would make polish players more prone to choose gold and stone that are closer to woodlines or berries.

Given the trade off players would have to make maybe they start with 50 more wood?