AOE II Dawn of the Dukes: Bohemians and Poles

General reaction:

It looks like I was off by two days on the reveal and maybe on the release date too. I was correct on the civs in spite of the “leak” that now has been proven to be 50% wrong.

As always, I’m excited about the new civs and campaigns! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I mean actual political problems, not cultural ones. Lack of freedom of speech (which we could call a cultural problem I guess), the troubled relationship of Turkey with Cyprus and the fact that they would be the biggest country in the European Union

Their political problems come from their culture. Turkey has a huge imperial past it denies leaving behind.
Their major religion also demands a monopoly on political and social power, which is a source of a lot of their issues.

For Turkey to join the EU, they would need to go through modernization greater than 3 Attaturks, one after the other, would bring.
And there are already voices in Turkey that decry Attaturk as a heretic for his secular reforms, in this very day and age.
Turkey is going back, not forward.

4 Likes

“Turkic” and “European” aren’t mutually-exclusive terms.

2 Likes

Turkic is Asian, so yes, they are mutually exclusive.

That is like saying Japanese are Europeans.

4 Likes

“Turkic” isn’t inherently Asian though. Turkic peoples have lived in Europe for over a millenium now (unlike Japanese, which makes it irrelevant to compare to).

Language families aren’t inherently tied to a continent, they have been known to spread across continents for millenia now.

2 Likes

That is like saying white americans are natives, because they have been living there for 500 years.

They will never be Native Americans, they will always be Europeans.

9 Likes

Native American is really specific tho

Those white people still call themselves American

Just as specific as European, which means: native to Europe.

But they are not, they are Europeans, with an European language, religions, culture and ethnic makeup.

2 Likes

Im late for the party it seems.all the units seem dope.

Now lets all join forces to get more Indian and African empires added.

5 Likes

That’s why Byzantines and Bulgarians need to get a new buildset.

2 Likes

Bulgarians? Hungarians/Magyars?

1 Like

We need Templars and Hospitallers as mounted lancers added to the game too.

haufnice

1 Like

that is a scenario editor building, it is called the trade workshop and u can also find it in the third tamerlane mission: Harbringer of destruction

1 Like
  1. Anti-European and Anti-Polish lobby failed.
  2. I am happy to see Poles in the game as it must be a great relief for many Polish players :slight_smile:
  3. It seems Bohemians are depicted as Hussites. Could be. What I fear is their unit roster… I dont see any arbalests, halberdiers, paladins… no high end units. Hope they wont be civ destined to a bin…
  4. Karlstejn seems to be a castle not a wonder. Wonder looks to be on the winter image on the left-middle bottom
8 Likes

We are just tired of Europe so we are just not feeling the addition of even more Euro civs particualry one that its already well represented gameplaywise by a related civ

Its not that we are against Europe per se, we just want the rest of the world to have a good representation like Europe does

Also Bohemians seem to have halbs in some of the photos

3 Likes

Bulgarians are slavicized, and adopted slavic culture in all things, so they ended up European. Magyars are Finno-Ugric, and also europeanized to the extreme, to the point in which almost nothing of them, is Asian anymore.

2 Likes

Also Bulgarians are ethnically Slavic. The Bulgars are the turkic ones

5 Likes

The question about the architecture set is interesting. I remember smbd here say that if there is smth to represent the western slavs in the slavs civ it the reddish bricks (architecture).

I have been to couple medieval sites in Czechia but I dont remeber red bricks and walls Prague is more about redish roofs than walls of buildings. I have been to Krakow, too and there are more reddish walls and buildings. If we accept this theory for correct they did not add new architecture set for Poles and Bohemians as the so called “Eastern European” set is good representative for them.

I agree Byzantines and Bulgarians could be given a new one (South East European) that could later be used from Serbs or Georgians for example but it only solves one civ moving away from the Eastern European set (Bulgarians).

I am not sure what exactly architecture should be assigned to the new civs but to me it looks logical to have Bohemians, Poles. Magyars and possibly Lithuanians share the same anyway. Perhaps if they give Byz/Bulg one and Slavs/Vikings another the civs listed above could remain with the “Eastern European”

6 Likes