AoE IV disappointment. .?

‘‘True’’ AoE fan, lol. If you’re a true fan you know AOE2 is the pinnacle of AOE. And rightfuly so. Diverse medieval factions, plethora of stories and nations with their own agendas. Have fun on your axis vs the world boring theme of world war. Nah, no thanks.

1 Like

It is the most successful game but an old school player knows that all the games have been enjoyable. I don’t think you have played 3 or 1, this thing they call AOE4 looks like a cartoon, it’s a shame Ensemble Studios is gone.

2 Likes

AOE3 certainly was not enjoyable tbh. Melee units hitting with torches from range on a building, effectively destroying any purpose of a fortification, bad and slow floaty animations in combat, the card system… Nope.

4 Likes

Think about it, do you think it makes sense to destroy buildings with pikes and swords, lmao. I think the metropoli was good, it is indeed a huge change from 2 to 3 playability but it was a good change, they were on the good path.

3 Likes

Its not about the torches. It’s about how fast the buildings go down when using soldiers. It made the buildings absolutely useless, including fortifications. It was horrible game design.

4 Likes

AOE 3 was pretty rad! The DE version is gonna be pretty rad, Def excited. Best part was the home cities and watching them grow and building ur cards. Bring that back

3 Likes

Say what you will, but this community has mastered the No True Scotsman argument.

There are no fewer than five different AoE games and even more separate communities. Find someone with a different opinion than you? Don’t bother playing their game to understand their perspective. Just drown them out in chants that they are not a true AoE fan. Works like a charm and gives you an inflated sense of entitlement.

1 Like

This is odd, because the other guys call hater the guys like me with different opinion.

1 Like

Seeing how disastrous the new star wars turned out because directors tried to do a lot of fan service, by listening to the “fan” base, I really hope Relic and World Edge don’t do the same. They should heed us for gameplay implementation, not for new ideas & mechanic. I think they know that better, so do players/developers who are play testing it. Outdated strategy needs to go, no argument there at all.

1 Like

While Star Wars 7 Directed by J. J. Abrams was wonderful relaunch for the franchise,
Star Wars 8 Directed by Rian Johnson was a very big mess, that did completely ignore the fan base.

Well already did see “Solo: A Star Wars Story” to fail due to Star Wars 8.
So no wonder Star Wars 9 would fail now too.

Here is a good video to explain current situation with starwars.

Also highlight was as the “project leader” Kathleen Kennedy did say this “There’s No Source Material. We Don’t Have Comic Books.” previous to launch of SW9!

Its not surprise that Disney does fail with Starwars now.
They basically did put on the job very bad story writers and people who have no idea about Star wars.

2 Likes

Don’t forgot political correction.

2 Likes

Yeah, saw the movie. Basically they put everyone from everywhere just to tick a box regardless of a lore and where characters fit.
Asians :heavy_check_mark:
Blacks :heavy_check_mark:
Whites :heavy_check_mark:
Transgenders :heavy_check_mark:
Homosexuals :heavy_check_mark:
Lost daughters looking for their dads :heavy_check_mark:
Overpowered chars :heavy_check_mark:
fanboys :heavy_check_mark:
SJW ideals :heavy_check_mark:
Kisses :heavy_check_mark:

Anyways, it is is still better than the Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones. But this is no way to close a franchise.

Please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss Star Wars, create a topic in #off-topic-forum.

2 Likes

I apologize. I was just using this metaphorically. I will try to stay true to the topic from now on.

1 Like

I think he did point out here something very important, Star Wars is a very popular franchise to take it as example.

I would personal compare AoE and DOW Series to SW like this.

AoE1 and AoE2 and DOW1 are the timeless classical SW 4,5,6

AoE3 and DOW2 as the SW prequels 1,2,3
not as good as the originals, but still recognizable.

AoE Online and DOW3 as SW 8
totally messed up.

A franchise needs a healthy relation ship with its Origins, you can be “creative”, but if you start to throw out of the windows what franchise does stand for, you might get in trouble to create something unlogical and seen to be not related to it. There is a difference between its not a good movie and its not a good franchise movie.

A lot of franchises have these days a simple problem, they take place in same universe, but bad story writing ruins the experience. Bad story writing is not creativity, but it was used as excuse so often, it did become synonyms.

Thanks to AoE Online, AoE4 did inherit a difficult heritage. Look as people did heavily criticize it for be too cartoony just after 1 video, without even to have played it. Maybe it’s mainly because AoE Online was cartoony?

7 Likes

After reading this entire topic from the very beggining, here are my thoughts abt things

• AoE1 and AoE2 are by far the best AoE games, I think there’s no doubt abt that, with AoE2 taking the top spot. The reason AoE1 isn’t as good as AoE2 is because as the first game its mechanics weren’t good, mostly when you look at the pathing. DE has rly improved the game a whole lot, but unfortunately they decided it’d be a good idea to replicate some annoying mechanics like the pathing (to the point I’m able to put 11 villagers to collect from the same deer but if i put 5 only 4 are able to collect, aka nothing makes sense). Still, even if it continues being mechanicaly worse than AoE2 it’s still fun to play, and what I miss the most from AoE1 in AoE2 is having half decent trash units that aren’t just meant to counter a single type of unit (RIP charriots, u’ll always be missed), tho not saying that skirms and spears are bad, i just want more trash options.

• AoE3 is just a mess, it’s playable but not even half as enjoyable as the previous games, I’d take AoE1 over AoE3 any day. Now don’t get me wrong, the graphics look cool and all, but when we talk about a game, graphic is usually one of the least important things, having good mechanics and gameplay is much more important, and AoE3 mechanics fail badly because they tried to make things more realistic. While people have always complained that tower rushes in AoE2 are super annoying, towers in AoE3 are almost close to useless with how easily units can completely obliterate any kind of building in the game. And not to talk abt the time period, the game just feels super lame when all u have are guns on both sides of the field. Melee and archers always felt extremely weak in the game for me, it’s like what can they even do against whole gunpowder armies? This gun monopoly just completely takes away the feeling that I’m playing an AoE game, it just doesn’t feel like it. And not to talk about home cities and stuff, completely horrible mechanic. It literally transforms a game abt skill into a grind2win.

• I never played or watched AoE online, so I can’t tell anything good or bad abt it.

• Now, for AoE4: I think we still don’t have enough to say “it’ll be bad”, like yeah the graphics don’t feel like the good old ones and such, but I don’t rly care abt it as long as the gameplay is good, and this is what we still can’t tell if it’ll be good or not, so imo there’s still hope. As for the theme, I’m glad they went back to medieval, my biggest fear abt the next AoE game was if they made it a ww1 game, and it rly relieves me they didn’t do that, so that’s a huge plus to me. I still have my fears of them messing up the gameplay and all, but if they manage to make the gameplay similar to AoE2 and keep the balance on point I think we could finally have a 3rd successful AoE game. Theme? On point. Graphics? Doable imo. Gameplay and mechanics? Only time will tell. Tbh seeing how they didn’t make the graphics too realistic gives me hope that they won’t make the same mistake as AoE3 of making the mechanics too realistic as well.

3 Likes

The actual art is a mess trying to reach more people.
To have more money, they close ES. They remove gore in AoE DE.
The past Iw better lately.

1 Like

The main problem with Age IV is that most people want it to be like Age II. If you want Age II go and play the DE, even if it is in medieval time, Age IV is a new and a different game, not a reboot of AoE II. Microsoft is trying to make something different adding new stuff and mechanics with nowadays tecnology.

The worst part of Age II lovers flaming Age IV is that, if even they get an Age 2 reboot with a new engine and todays graphics, physics, and etc, they probably will complain anyways something on it, even if it is a fidel clone with just 2019 graphics.

Don’t get me wrong, i love Age II, and i’ve spend my entire childhood and more on it, but i get that every new Age of Empires it’s a different game that moves on the series franchise, so i don’t expect a clone if the game gets the number IV on it, even if it is developed in the same historical period of time.
For a clone with enhanced 2019 graphics i would ask for a reboot better.

1 Like

With all honesty , from what we have seen in the trailer and what we know to date, I will to go all in a bet Aoe4 is gonna be a bust, just like how some of you think Aoe 3 was.

How is “trying to make something different adding new stuff and mechanics with nowadays technology.” a good concept? What for ? We did see them all trying out a lot of concepts, but in the end always to disappoint us.

AoE 2 DE is instantly the most played RTS on steam, despite gameplay is over 20 years old.

I would say we require rather continuity, than creativity, especially if dealing with a sequel.
I do not say AoE4 should be an AoE2 copy. It should simply logically continue where AoE2 stopped.

4 Likes