AoE4 is having the best numbers in months

And I did not specify you.
But I’m not pretending the whole zoom threads did not exist, or the videos and essays proving “more zoom will hurt you”.

I will play after the ■■■■■■ homing mechanics are removed

1 Like

Oh I don’t mind those but I know lots of people do. Those mechanics are in every game after aoe2 iirc. I think the arrows fly faster in those games so it’s far less noticeable. I’m not super sure.

1 Like

just 3 and 4, not myth

They’re just opinions. You’re allowed to disagree with them!

What are you saying, that people shouldn’t be allowed to post? C’mon. People still start wars over AoE II vs. AoE III. It’s the Internet.

Now where did I say that?
These are opinions. These people believe they are doing good for the game but they are proved wrong, by the developers themselves who made the change after all. But now poof, they disappeared all of a sudden. If these people were so defensive about fixing (emphasis here) the zoom level, they should be very resistant to adding zoom options when the devs actually did it.
But they did not. That shows these people were just defending any state of the game regardless of the topic.

I’m simply pointing that out. Defending every single aspect of the game does no good. The numbers are not rising when people are busy proving color selection, zoom options or a lot of other stuff are not important at all. It only improves after all these have been implemented, and people are given a second chance (price reduction) to find them out.

BTW the war between AOE 2 and 3 is mostly about gameplay and design choices, not because you cannot choose colors or change zoom.

4 Likes

You are very important for the community, any accusation of you wanting to “burn the house” for expressing concerns is illogical, irrational, hysterical and completely over the top.

UI, hotkeys, smoothness are in a process of improving, it’s important to keep raising the issues. Zoom is better now.

I agree the #1 main issue is, like you said, “AoE4 civs are a giant step backwards” from other AoE games. As I see it, it’s mixed.

The idea of Abbasid centered on a House of Wisdom is not a genuine gameplay revolution, but it’s actually pretty good, both historicity and gameplay wise / flexibility. Problem is, ‘Economic Wing’ is always selected, due to bad balancing among options, so the supposed variability, flexibility is instantly dead.

Delhi’s concept is also quite interesting, but its civ personality has been greatly watered down, early Sacred Site dynamics felt so fresh, could have tweaked instead of eliminate. Imperial tech is now out of reach, and I think elephants should be more highlighted, not continually nerfed to oblivion. If healing is a problem, nerf healing, not elephants!

Among 8 civs, Mongols are the only true civilization gameplay breakthrough in AoE4. One civ in eight!!
That’s why new civs become so important, they better go bold in new gamplay / mechanics / approaches.

English and French are pure boredom. I don’t wish to comment, it’s depressing.

5 Likes

Re the importance of colour picking, one thing I’ve noticed in co-op games is it seems to randomly pick one of the humans to be able to set the colours of the AI players. Nobody but me has ever picked a colour for the AI players, and only a small proportion of humans, like <5%, have ever picked their own colour in games I’ve been in. That’s not to say it wasn’t good to implement it, as even 5% of players is an important number of players if the feature REALLY matters to that 5%. What would actually make more difference to me is a change to the colour scheme when nobody picks colours, as I only get to play in a game with reasonable colours when it lets me pick the AI colours. The game’s default assignments make no sense, and some of the colours are a bit too similar to each other, which prevents a totally coherent colour scheme, even when I can set all the AI colours.

Sure, but you’d be wrong. You could definitely make more of an argument on the success of their execution, but not really on their intent.

I wouldn’t even say that about AoE3, and it diverges from the formula FAR more than AoE4 does.

1 Like

They should do like AoE2 does and separate the teams into cool and warm colors. Also, make purple and pink more different.

2 Likes

And what of the criticisms that have been proven wrong?

Everybody gets to be wrong every so often. And I get where you’re coming from, because I’ve spent time and energy trying to get people critical of the game admit when they’re wrong (even you, at times). But it doesn’t work, so I’ve kinda given up. Hence the “live and let live” approach.

Painting people into that position when their actual arguments are probably more nuanced than that is about as useful as me saying “neither is criticising every aspect of it”. People rarely criticise everything about a game, or defend everything about it.

Some people are naturally optimistic, even if there’s reason not to be. Some people are naturally pessimistic, even if there’s reason not to be.

Unfortunately, those two groups also wind each other up the wrong way. I’m naturally optimistic (about the game), I’m in that camp. I’m not pretending I’m not. I don’t have an answer, I’m just trying to show you what I think is a better attitude about it all.

Good question. I have always been talking about MY criticisms and defenses that are proven wrong. You’re free to list your list of criticisms that are proven wrong. It’s not my responsibility. And I’m very looking forward to your “these are just opinions. You’re free to disagree” for them.

At least almost every criticism I had was implemented. Which is great. Now I would like to hear from those who spent essays showing me I was asking for something unimportant or unrealistic.

As for other parts of the game, like arrows or upgrades, etc., I do not know why you “what of” me because I did not criticize those.

Wow

This is just laughable. Accusing someone that their opinions that don’t coincide with yours will negatively impact the entire franchise. Especially @AndyPXIII of all people here. And where are you supposed to post your concerns or opinions that don’t praise the game? That is what a forum is for . And I’m talking about actual criticism not just needlessly bashing the game for no reason.

5 Likes

Feedback is very important in the game and I am going to say 2 things about it:

• Formerly (2-3 months ago or more) some certain users gave destructive opinions, which did not contribute anything and that only led to important conflicts and endless posts. There should be a “dislike” in the forum and highlight those threads with quality feedback.

• Those same users either disappeared when something improved in the game or appeared to use aggression and frustration, provoking aggression and frustration in other users and complaining when they didn’t agree. I think we have to be more blunt with them.

4 Likes

Not laughable at all unfortunately, this is how reality works. AOE3 was released in 2005. It took over 15 years before AOE4 was released. If you remember, one of the reasons stated for the failure of AOEO was due to all the negative criticism. Too much negative sentiment, even if made by a small minority, can easily hit a games bottom line. RTS games are not very profitable to begin with. There is nothing wrong with criticism, so long as it is constructive. Repeatedly stating “I’d be positive about aoe4 if I ever experienced joy playing it” is not constructive. It fails to add anything useful to the conversation.

2 Likes

a problem that was carried since aoe 2 so it requires a change that aoe 4 didnt bring

Tha confirm my point of wonder reworks

Please cite your authority for anyone seriously blaming fan sentiment causing the failure of AoEO. I was there from launch. Many fans voiced displeasure, but the devs owned it and rightfully reported it was the unfinished game and poor business model that caused the failure. It wasn’t us. Many of us still love AoEO despite its poor launch.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Pretty sure one off the main reasons AoEO failed was the business model such as micro transactions that nobody wants. Not people being negative online

3 Likes

So I was right. You have a personal problem when people have a different opinion to you, and it looks like you bookmark long-gone discussions (that thread is what, five months gone?) to dredge up when you think they’re relevant.

My bad for feeding that problem. I’ll do my best not to contribute to it in future.

1 Like