April PUP Notes

Adding 2 haciendas for spain was the most obscene thing in the whole game

6 Likes

I have always stated that there should be no reason for spanish to get haciendas. The devs have changed spanish gold like 6 times now and thought lets give up on it and send them haciendas instead for vill booming and/or soldado spamming. There is absolutely 0 reason why need spain need soldados considering they can already train the musketeer.

Devs have already said that balance is 2nd fiddle to new “entertaining” content and the introduction of haciendas to spain essentially illustrates this. They wont remove them because “time and effort” have been spent into developing that extra bit of content. Spain already have a great civ bonus of faster shipments, and that combining that with broken shipments and broken sit in base playstyles show a critical lack of care and consideration from the devs.

5 Likes

The card deserves to be deleted in fact

3 Likes

It is that that shipment must have an extra cost (and remember that the 2 Haciendas cannot be rebuilt), but it is better to kill a unit / make it unfeasible than a nerf to the other side.

And that Spain is a medium level civilization, then we have S level China without further nerf.

Regarding the fact that it’s not an RTS @KEVINITALIEN670 it’s your opinion and it’s not the only civ that makes questionable strategies without map control and with a simple macro (lamme strats).

Should we delete lamme/cheese strats of the game?

3 Likes

What the data to back it up? i doubt chinas win rate is increasing given consecutive nerfs each patch. Could the nerfs go further possibly? is china best civ? definitely not.

1 Like

I’d stretch even further. I think soldados being super musketeers from the very beginning is an odd design and had no historical basis.

It is one of the examples in the entire series, not limited to AOE3, of “let’s make something unique for the sake of it”. But Mexicans is already unique enough. I think they can work well enough with a regular musketeer.

And Mexicans were not famous for super musketeers. There is no basis for them being grenadier hybrids either. I can think of this “feature” given to 10 more appropriate civs, already in game or not, if they got released at Mexicans’ time.

And the unit itself is a weird mixture of colonial Spanish army and later Mexican regular army under the most generic name “soldado” (the name itself suggests how forced the unit is). If Mexicans is designed as a revolutionary-themed civ there is no point of giving it a Spanish unit. US did not get redcoats. And it makes less sense for Spanish to get them.

Seems to me someone first decided to utilize the “new idea” of super musketeer in the next civ. And the next civ in queue happens to be Mexicans.
It’s like Romans in a classical antiquity game with a super cavalry called “eques”——not a good way of designing a historical game.

8 Likes

Yeah I think china’s win rate is better described as strangely resilient, tbh I think the devs are just trying to dance around nerfing the blockhouse, which is clearly the issue.

Its basically remain the same even after nerfs

Then revert to old french consulate please

5 Likes

Probably. I never liked its mechanic.

But then devs should deleted It instead overnerf It while keep it taking up space in the game

2 Likes

Good lad :smiley:
xD …

but dude, there is no macro either, like i can literraly watch my screen 2 min while making a coffee for get 30 soldadoes and HC in 2 min, that is not healthy, its not playing AOE3

While ur opponent try desperatly to play and micro and macro and gather etc

Like wtf is this…

3 Likes

anyway just be design the simple fact spain can train more soldadoes than mexico is bad…

1 Like

I still feel British, Portuguese and Russians are kinda lackluster in their contents and options.
I’m not asking for anything drastic. Maybe 2-3 more unique cards that either enable some mercenaries or natives, or allow them to “switch” to a slightly non-traditional playstyle like the Dutch States Army or some German cards.

Just a reminder.

5 Likes

In fact, spain getting haciendas is the most reasonable thing as Spain was who built them in first instance. Needing less XP as bonus seems a bit too weak and basic.

If americans get migrants and germans get HRE cards then Spain should get Viceroys ones

3 Likes

I would gladly give up the ability for that blockhouse to produce units (as it was before DE) in exchange for bringing back the 4.5 export trickle from the original PUP.

Please do not revert French consulate. The food is a great opener now.

2 Likes

xD

But real talk lets not confuse the naming of cards and civ bonuses. Gemrany civ bonus is the uhlans and not thei HRE cards, not even sure whata HRE card is?

Brits have no ability to rush now. There is only one viable path that seems to work. It’s slow though. Any civ that either rushes or ages fast puts you at extreme disadvantage.

2 Likes

That can be eventually balanced out. I’m not so worried about that.
But the strong manor boom gatekept so many new mechanics and late game options that could be added to it. Now this one playstyle is not omnipotent anymore I think it’s a good time to make the civ more interesting.

I’d rather have a weaker but more interesting civ than a strong but one-dimensional civ.

2 Likes

You have to direct villagers to the Hacienda and keep producing villagers. Haciendas are not rebuildable. By that rule of 3, a civ like the Ottomans should also be removed from the game.

When they rework other civs, there is hardly any complaint. When they do a minirework to Spain and give it a somewhat lammer strategy, the scream is in heaven.

I advocate a nerf to the cost of shipping (despite the WR of civilization), others prefer to remove mechanics.

2 Likes

I would just increase the cost of the blockhouse.

The french consulate is only “good” because summer palace got nerfed. but it being the way it is means that both china and india cant do GFA build and the coin crate in age 3 is effectively dead weight

1 Like

Well that hasn’t worked before (it is currently pretty high btw) and it has resulted in side elements of China and the export trickle itself being nerfed; damaging other playstyles.