Attack move is buggy

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.46295.0 6421374
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
The “Attack move” command doesn’t work properly. When a group of units is assigned to “kite” (i.e. hit and run) enemy units using attack move, the attack move command will sometimes (around 1 time out of twenty) not be taken into account and the units will just move instead of attack move. This issue doesn’t happen with the “Patrol” command, only with “Attack move”.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)
    The issue happens in all the matches I play; however the issue seems to happen randomly when using the attack move command. Based on some testing I did, the issue seems to happen around every twenty attack moves.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Create a scenario with a group of ranged units (for instance 20 crossbowmen) and a group of enemy melee units (for instance 20 eagle warriors).
  2. Select your crossbowmen and use the attack move command to hit and run from enemy melee units. That means:
    2.1 Click “Attack Move” to the opposite direction of the melee units. Your units will then stop to shoot the enemy eagles.
    2.2 As soon as the crossbowmen shot, click a normal move to the opposite direction of the melee units. Your units will then stop shooting and move away from the enemy units.
    2.3 Wait 1 second or so (corresponding to the reload time of the crossbowmen)
    2.4 Repeat steps 2.1 to 2.3 untill all eagles die.
  3. Observe the crossbowmen sometimes ignore the attack move command (I noticed 1 every around twenty attack moves will be ignored).

Note that the exact same steps will not cause any bug when using the Patrol command, it is really specific to the Attack move command. That explains why the Attack move command is very rarely used at high level.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The group of crossbowmen is supposed to always shoot when assigned to attack move nearby enemy units, the command should never be ignored. In the current state, attack move cannot be used at competitive level.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

4 Likes

had the same issue, it really bothers me that patrol works but it has a ffraction of a second of delay between the command and the start of the attack, Maybe its deliberate? it makes micro more demanding

Hey @Babaorummm,
this behaviour currently doesn’t happen in our test, could you be able to provide us with some additional video of the problem? Couldn’t it only be a case of miss-microying the second move command, clicking it even before the xbows attack, so they wont attack at all?
Thanks for the additional help!

I can confirm this happens to me with elite camel archers.
It doesnt happen a lot, but when it does happen, its when the camels need to move to the sides a bit instead of in a straight line. i checked this in the scenario editor and im 100% sure its not just coz i issued another command before they attacked.

Impossible. I was bugged by this all the time. Now I have to compromise by using the stop command as attack move.

I used to report the same issue with patrol:

The behavior looks like this:

I can confirm patrol/attack move is acting weird lately (I want to say last patch or two). Occasionally my units just ignore enemies. It’s bad enough that I’m starting to prefer simply telling my units to attack on aggressive to ensure engagement

Yep, still a problem. happens like ~50% of the time i issue an attack move command.

I will try to provide some information about this (or a very similar) issue.

What I see in my case is melee units engaging for a couple of seconds, then disengaging and continuing with the move. I haven’t seen the behavior in ranged units.

2 Likes

Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have detailed my experience with Attack-Move here. The post includes a video that evidences the issue as well as a recorded game.

1 Like