Aztecs and balance

i would actually argue the azzy chief (and chinese monk by extension) should be a shock infantry, making him take bonus damage from muskets and halbs, etc. in melee and (probably?) goons at range (depending on if he got the coyoteman tag or not). this lets the chief fill his role as tank, but makes him be countered by units that normally help deal with tank units. Heavy infantry would be just sad, and aztec already gets yeeted by skirm masses enough

3 Likes

I was thinking that, but the potential implication of him losing the infantry tag due to being shock infantry and being kinda immune to cannon fire was sorta terrifying

edit: like i forget how the numbers would work but I think not being effected by the x3 multi of cannons and lancers is stronger then the old cover mode bug

So, still no one is talking about buffing spies? It is better to giving players the ability to counter a build, instead of denying the build. Spy with 8 range (and less damage ofc) can kill a warchief behind skirmishers, without being shot down by eagle knights.

1 Like

Only europeans have spies, thats the reason

I think main problem here is, how much benefit you can get from community plaza while not paying for anything at all, even your minutemens are free and infinite, this is not a balanced civ right now, just a civ with impossible to stop features

2 Likes

in fact community plaza is fine when you put vill on it, but with azzy and incas that an another problem cuz of priestess and wp, and yeah wp in fact is just too strong ( since they cost no pop and mms animation is better )
And that warchief who can tank 5X 30 shot of musk start to be annoying too lol

3 Likes

What does my ELO have to do with anything. I donā€™t play ranked much so my elo doesnā€™t mean anything, my casual rank I had the crossed pistols It reset or something and Iā€™m at three stripes on casual rank. Mostly I play treaty right now but Iā€™ve played a lot of standard supremacy too . Whatā€™s your elo?

Countering arrow knights is not that hard. Build Calvary or skirmishers, if they build puma spear men Calvary wonā€™t work real well so you would have to build something else. If they are relying heavily on arrow knights and your not building many cannons they wonā€™t be that useful as arrow knights donā€™t really have a bonus against anything but artillery and buildings

Many civ has anti-hero units. Native has advanced scouts. Inca has priestess and messenger. China/India have consulate spy. Japan has ninja. Donā€™t know much about African yet, but none of these units are enough to counter a warchief.

1 Like

I donā€™t know how people discuss and defend mechanics and op units, dirty cheese, like the minutemen/war priests/warchief buffed Aztecs, garrison units in the Inca fortress/huaracas, the bowriders, erk, etcā€¦

And they claim that we will destroy those civs and that they are their only assets and strengths.

And they say it in a very emphatic way, most of them without trying to empathize, understand or contribute.

We donā€™t want to destroy the civs, we want a healthier game. We want them to be improved in other ways, not just based on dumb, broken, unfair mechanics and units.

The civs will continue to be very different from each other, the variety will not be spoiled for a little balance.

5 Likes

Everything shown in the video was cheesy and lame strats, very fun to do occasionally, Though none of those things caused the loss of the game, even all 3 combined did not cause you to lose the game though Iā€™m sure it was annoying. Completely take away the explorer and the warrior spam, 60 pop of musk will still never beat 120 pop of ERK and AK lol.

2 Likes

well, thats true but without this stupid lame ā– ā– ā– ā–  like minuteman spam and hero spam he could not get such a mass on ERK and AK because you can deal damage which is currently impossible.

Mistakes were made in the game in general, should have gone longbow musk, longbow would have traded well with the enemy units instead of just 60 musk that could do nothing vs the aztec units. At 1 point aztec had relatively few knights, brit has 5 huss in deck and chooses to ship a frigate instead while uncontested on water that sat there all game and did nothing.

2 Likes

Same matchup has been played 3 times, Previous game was heavily on longbow composition, which went almost same, brit ships frigate instead of 5 hussars is a personal choice in the game that is played, of course it did keep deny the aztec player from contesting sea, so itā€™s inaccurate to say it did nothing. could you please explain how this could change the outcome against infinite mm spam into suddenly removing tanky explorer?

1 Like

Iā€™ve not seen the other games so wonā€™t comment on those, in that particular game though it was too heavy eco. Aztec had a relatively poor eco, at least compared to yours. It took a while to get to his mass of 60 ERK and 30 AK, and you had double villagers most of the game(even while being spammed with warriors) which doesnā€™t help when youā€™ve left it too late and the enemy has double military pop and youā€™re stuck with a mass of units that do nothing and are out ranged. Perhaps the answer was aggressive age 2, I have barely ever even played this match up so I imagine youā€™re more experienced there, what did you do wrong? What could you do better?
As for the frigate, if you watch the replay when you send it he has a small mass, I think 5 huss would have had a far greater impact than the frigate did. Brit canā€™t stop aztec on water anyway, heā€™d have moved AKā€™s to the shore, got a war hut and dock built and spammed out canoes with water dance buff, probably only inca can compete with aztec.

Explorer is also weaker age 2, no access to knights. I imagine you could play that way, push in with longbow and pike/musk. get 5 cav on to the community plaza, force the priests in the tc etc. Donā€™t think he even had a war hut in age 2 and no coyote shipment.

Playing in age2 is nearly impossible because of infinite mm spam. If you have more questions to ask, Iā€™m totally fine with it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what time he had all his warrior priests but if I remember correctly he aged up with skull knights, so didnā€™t fast age and shipped the fast training infantry card then chucked a load of vills on the plaza to get 10 priests. Perhaps thereā€™s something you can do there, heā€™d be forced to use vills for warriors at that point which probably isnā€™t efficient. Are they that strong or could you just force your way on to the plaza and start killing vills and priests/force them to idle?

As I said before, the first mistake was allowing Aztec to grow and then letting them build a forward base almost next to.

In recorded game thereā€™s a space of time where Aztec had literally nothing because sacrificed eco into spawning warrior priests, yet English player did nothing.

1 Like

if we play age 2 and we open cav or 10 musk and we try to kill the settlers on the firepit the problem is like saying breeze spamm mm + wp with 300hp and 15 atk or smth its enough to defend easily and all he need is 9 mace or 6 pumas and your timing is dead ( also that boom with fencing school is not that slow and then its pretty hard to counter )

One of the only ways that i have personally found is to ff and have scary timing and not let go of the pressure but i guess with brit instead of ff you can try to get a scary timing age 2 cuz azzy want to age 3 so

3 Likes

speaking from experience, the worst thing that can happen as an aztec player with 10 wp is someone nuking the plaza itself. the trick is doing it without the chief nuking whatever siege of choice you have