Balance changes from July Update guys!

In feudal and early castle age, giving extra armor as a civ bonus is equivalent to make pavise a civ bonus. Equivalent in the sense that it is the same. You will have xbow with +1/1 armor.

For instance, if they get a new UT very weak (like the hun one), their late game will be unchanged, since your units already have the extra armor as a civ bonus.

Then finding a new UT more useful is not that difficult imo. For instance a UT giving a discount to condos (even for the all team), a UT affecting monks, rams, buildings. All these options can have a limited or situational effect, also negligible, so no balance issues at all.

I think this would make more flexible the way to balance them. For instance assume someone argues that +1 PA stackable with the current pavise is too much since you will get +2PA arbs in imp (btw, I am very convinced it is not). Then if pavise becomes a civ bonus, nothing changes since you will still get +1PA arbs in imp.

No, because the idea is to give them +1PA (or +1/1 if we want to exaggerate) that is stackable with pavise then in castle age, for a total of +1/2 plus the standard blacksmith upgrades.
So if you give just pavise as a bonus, you just have +1/1, you still lack that +1PA.

But they donā€™t need a new UT, and the idea is TO CHANGE their late game a bit, by giving them more durable arbalests.

It easy for you and me that we donā€™t have to implement it in the game, they we donā€™t have to verify that itā€™s balanced, that it work without bugs, that most players would accept it.
They shouldnā€™t make such a radical change if there are other way to help the civ.

I donā€™t like having a weak UT like huns or mongols, I prefer a decent UT that is useful.
Removing a UT that work just for giving them an useless one doesnā€™t really make sense in my eyes.

But thatā€™s the purpose, and most arenā€™t that against the +1/2 arbs in imp.
However, if the majority is against it, thatā€™s why we also came up with the free armor upgrades bonus, which is far from being OP, and more easy to implement since you donā€™t have to change pavise.

Also, with the new condos changes, people will complain that now itā€™s too easy to do a fast imp condos rush, that are even stronger than before, while now the castle and the UT act as a buffer.
Before such a change, we should see how the new condos works.

In feudal and early castle you do not have pavise, so it the same. 100%. Then it changes. Clearly if the goal is affecting the late game, +1 PA is needed. Pavise becoming a bonus is a weak version of +1 PA since it works only for the early stages.

Overall let me repeat I am in favor of +1PA and in changing the late game. I was just proposing weaker solutions if someone thinks that +1PA is too much.

In my personal perspective, +1PA is probably not sufficient to make them viable, but I would be fine with even a smaller bonus since now, with the recent buffs to italian competitors, Italians are probably the worst civ in the game averaging all the scenarios. And maybe in 1v1 arabia by a wide margin (together with turks).

It is not.
Ok, maybe I wasnā€™t clear, sorry my bad.

The main idea for the +1PA bonus is that archer (only) get +1PA from feudal (well tecnicaly from dark, but since in dark there are no rangesā€¦), so in feudal they would have a bonus, that then can be further improve by researcing pavise in castle for a total of +1/2.

This is the main idea, some weaker versions (that would still be better than nothing) are to buff pavise to +1/2 (but itā€™s more complicated since you would have to differentiate between xbows and the 2 UU) or to give them the bonus only from castle age.

There are also stronger version of this bonus, but letā€™s discuss those another time.

Righ now, italians arbs with pavise are about on the level of etiopians and viets if you confront only the pure stats of the xbow/arbs and you let them fight (without considering micro of course), all other archer civs are stronger. And a lot of non-archer civs with better eco are better too.

The problem is, that both etiopians and viets get their bonus for free (letā€™s call it the ā€œresourcesā€ problem) and a lot sooner (the ā€œtimeā€ problem), so to compensate that, on the late game after buying pavise, their arbs should be more powerful.

So the +1PA would act as a bonus that let you archer still keep up with other archers civs on a military level from the faudal age (solvig the ā€œtimeā€ problem) but still with the eco disadvantage.
Then pavise would come into play on mid/late castle, and their arbs would finally be better, since you pay for them (solving the ā€œresourcesā€ problem).

That way, we shouldā€™t worry about changing pavise. And itā€™s just a small and easy bonus to implement.

Of course, free archer armor is a weaker but still viable option.

1 Like

However, Iā€™m doing a new topic only to discuss the italians, since it seem that itā€™s a pretty big discussion, so if you want wait and answer me there.

1 Like