Ballista is overpowered

i can’t believe he made an accout called “aoe2expert” and linked a mikeempires video to prove that onagers were op.

2 Likes

so surely if scorpions are overpowered you can link us a pro game where pros are using mass scorpion against other pros of equal skill level and winning wtih them right?

1 Like

and it gets very funny when at the same time…

1 Like

No.
What is ridiculous is that whoever balances the game gets ideas from the forum.
I never played and never will 1v1 games, why shouldn’t I be able to post on the forum?
This is some shit elitarian nonsense.

Game is balanced around 1v1 primarily and 1v1 builds the understanding of the game more than TG ever will. I think if your top 5% TG or more you should have pretty good understanding of game to make ideas in balance too just using 1v1 as a baseline cos it’s more of a sign of true Elo skill. I can go play 100 games of StarCraft and enter the forum’s with my ideas of balance but that doesn’t make sense :smiley:. Nothing wrong with someone decent at TG making a good point either although decent 1v1 players will always be preferred opinion

Then open a specific section only for balance ideas, and tie that to elo if you like, I honestly couldn’t care less, but leave the possibility to other players like me to write asking for help/discuss things.
Locking all the forum to people with low rank seems absurd.

There is nothing wrong with anyone posting their opinions on the forums. The problem is that the devs clearly take inspiration from these posts when deciding on new balance, and the result is highly annoying for those who have been playing this game for a long time and are at decently high level in the game. Should a 1000 ELO player be able to post balance ideas? Absolutely. Should the devs take inspiration from those posts? That’s where we say, probably not. Especially when many of the posts are not really useful suggestions, but more like rants after having lost to some (perhaps unfamiliar) strategy.

1 Like

Well there are some exceptions.
Like the Ele nerf was clearly inspired by low elo. And fine, as eles are just trash in almost all situations in higher elo. So if there are some units OP in low elo cause they don’t know the basic counters, as long as it doesn’t influence higher elo it’s completely fine devs hear their voices.

I’m still not sure how valid a typical low elo suggestion really would be. Do you ever watch low elo games? I watch some, and yeah, a lot of them try to counter elephants with knights… and things like that often pop up in this forum. Xyz seems OP because player doesn’t know the right counters and/or strategy. 90% (if not more) of balance suggestions on this forum have been garbage

1 Like

Because 90 % of them from that one well-known troll?

It’s ok if low elos make these threads as long as they want to learn the game. I just don’t like the threads opened and pushed by trolls and those of the players who are clearly unwilling to learn the game.

Unfortunately this has become more and more the cause in later days, mainly because of these trolls.

I don’t think his posts were any better or worse than the average. Which is exactly the point…

I don’t mind threads about ranting/venting too :slight_smile: Just feeling unhappy about all the changes that keep happening only because of rants from low elo players and not because of actual balance reasons.

I think some people here are learning the game they tend to more so come here after a losing game and not discuss what they did wrong and ask for advice /counters but instead give (balance suggestion) even though they don’t understand the full picture yet. I don’t mind people who are unsure of things asking questions if something is in a good place or not but it strikes me odd throwing ideas with so little game time In people have less than 5 games where they use fuedal towers and give sweeping balance ideas afterwards. If Devs come to read the forum they are wasting their time on most of the balance suggestions I’ve seen last few days especially

What changes do you speak about? Incan trush nerf?
That was completely fine. Trush is still viable and incas still have one of the best. It’s just no dumbass strat anymore, something you need to consider and scout first.

I like that change.

Generally, a lot of civs have been victims of power creep and weird balance changes. Spanish, Burmese to a few obvious ones, so not only Incas. There were also weird back-and-forths, like with Koreans, the WW price kept getting changed all the time (now its roughly back to AoC price), etc. Arguably the old Koreans were probably better, because this new WW with instant pierce armor seems to annoy people just as much, if not more…

The elephant nerf was pretty weird, it seemed like a blanket nerf when actually only one specific issue needed to be addressed, etc. I could go on. (Not even touching on how map generation is pretty messed up for some of the most popular maps, that is worth a gospel on its own, even though it is highly related to this discussion)

Well TBF balancing is really hard. And besides I also think the arambai nerf was completely unnecessary, they actually made also some nice things like the french nerfs, which seem to work as intended.

Some other nerfs are really hard, like chinese. OFC we all knwo what makes them so OP, but adapting it is also not that easy. So I’m ok with some randomness I don’t really understand why, as long as they approach the really important things at times and with the right tools.

I think the game is in it’s best balance shape ever, so something must have been right with the devs changes. Outside of unnecessary wall nerfs because some player won’t accept it’s a strategy and no “raiding to death” game and are extremely aggressive trying to push their own perception of the game to the devs.
I hope devs learned from it, that the wall nerfs made the game more monolongous. And I think that the addition of Empire Wars is way better to satisfy these people who apparently don’t seem to understand what a rts is.

How are Incas having one of the best Trush?
All I see is towers costing 19 less stone than others, still not enough to build 2 without extra mining, after that they have nothing since they took away smith upgrades for vills before castle age.
Teutons have 10 vills garrison towers and Spanish can build them 30% faster at least, Incas don’t seem to have any meaningful advantage honestly. Or there is more I’m missing?

How many civs have a tower-related bonus?
How mayans have the best archer rush, they only have 10 % discount in feudal?
How berbers have the best knigh rush, they only have 15 % discount?

Shall I continue?