Bug: Game freezes

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.102.1156.0 (#66692) 9368025
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

I played ranked yesterday, and the game “froze” after ~35 Minutes. I stayed in-game for ~15 Min while creating this post, but nothing changed. I could still click stuff, but the game seemed paused (except that it was not, I checked and could hit pause / unpause and the game reported I had 9 pauses left). As there seems to be some kind of issue with the servers I cannot see the game online (e.g., at aoe2.net or similar websites). I think (judging by the in-game elo) that the game registers as lost for me.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)

:arrow_forward: ############ STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Not possible.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Not applicable.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

Not applicable.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

I actually saved the game and therefore have got an aoe2mpgame file. The aoe2record file used to be recorded and inside my savegames (I watched it after playing to figure out what was going on), but somehow it was deleted. In the record I could see in the end that nobody was defeated.

Had to change the extension here because for some reason aoe2mpgame upload is not allowed here. FROZEN.aoe2mpgame.aoe2record (297.6 KB)

Hi @slow10ris !

Does it happens frequently?

1. Can you try to verify your files in the Steam Library? Age of Empires II → Right button → Properties → Local files. If you have the Microsoft Store version, try reinstalling the game.

2. Can you try to disable your mods? And restart the game after that.

3. Can you try to close as many programs as possible before starting the game?

4. Can you update windows and graphic card drivers?

5. If using an antivirus software, try adding the folder of the game to the exception list.

If none of the above steps fixed the issue:

Can you switch to the Enhanced Logging Build in Steam and provide us some files?

This could help us a lot to investigate the issue. Remember to return to the usual build after generating the files.

You can send those files using gofile.io :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi @Felizon89

Thanks for your response :slight_smile:

The problem only happened once. I don’t know if disabling the mods would’ve helped in that instance, but I can definitely switch to the enhanced logging build for having recorded data if the issue occurs again. The last couple of times I played I did not face any issues.

1 Like

re-experienced this issue. My network was still connected (I checked after the game froze, and could reach servers on the internet). After exiting the game, I saw that multiplayer got disconnected, and that I was unable to enable it via the buttons:

Sadly, I haven’t enabled the advanced logging build yet.

After closing the game, the game does not correclty exit (steam still shows Age of empires II as running, Stopping via the steam stop button does the trick.)

Do you have an antivirus software installed? Does your router have a firewall?