Buy Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition - The Complete Histor

What references to Tibet are in the Chinese civ? They weren’t annexed until 1720 so I don’t think the Chinese really represent them well.

3 Likes

Be patient about an Asian civ. Creating 5 wonders that feel unique is a hard objective, harder than natives dances or WC auras.

1 Like

making new wonders is certainly a hard task, and its pretty obvious they already where starting to run out of ideas after japan for TAD, otherwise why would china have 2 unit production wonders? and why would india get a fort as a wonder? those are extremely boring ideas as far as wonders go.

another aspect is the consulate, you need 4 europeans to be options. there are factions that are blesses with it, india and china for example could have factions they dont have or even a faction that isnt even in the game as options for them. the dutch and the danes for india, and sweden and denmark for china, but they all need 4, and they cant change between factions while also needing to be balanced.

then you need to consider that the factions all are completely unique, only the inca have been added with DE so far that have been this unique. the africans even share like half their roster between them, it makes producing these factions quiet expensive compared to say the USA that “only” have a handful of unique units.

anyhow, i wouldnt mind seeing persia in the game.

2 Likes

It’s not. What’s wrong with them?
Does every wonder have to be a source of some sort of gimmicky power or new mechanics? Compared to classic RTS games even by the time of TAD AoE III was fairly dense with these things, and that’s leaving the amount of normal, special, mercenary and local units completely aside.

Various things are considered national wonders. Some are castles, some are forts, some are civilian palaces, some are gardens or memorials parks/graveyards etc.
And sometimes people just want to get to the next era as cheap and fast as possible, and a defensive building, a couple units or a bunch of resources is all they need for their strategy for that game.
If anything I’d love to see more plain, grounded utility defense buildings like forts. Thankfully recently we got few things like that.
I don’t think another tower with the button ‘press to make goats get fatter faster for 45 seconds’ would make India more interesting civ. They are already rich in content, mechanics, units.

Giving more options and even extra wonders to choose from would make other civs, by that time but even still, look even more simplistic and barren.

generally speaking each civ has at least the following:

1 eco wonder.

1 utility wonder (heal, scouting, etc.)

1 buff wonder

1 production wonder (shogunate works that way for japan, and india its probably the fort wonder)

1 extra wonder (for india its their peace time, for japan is tori gates and for china its 1 of the production wonders).

but some of these are way more interesting and balanced than others, the japanese wonders all except torii gates are interesting. getting a fort for a wonder is just boring, you could have simply had that as a shipment. getting 1 that trains units for free again is just a shipment type, its boring.

id think that was boring as well. which is why i think its going to be hard finding more ideas.

as an example i know some of the korean suggestions just want 5 factories, which not only would break the above rules (1 of each type) but also would just be extremely boring, if not also broken in some scenarios.

at the same time you can also risk getting wonders that add to much potential to break the game, like the indian peace wonder.

there are other boring wonders, the indian eco wonder is pretty bad, 10% gather rate in a radius is at best “meh”, both in terms of gameplay impact and fun factor.

Many of the age-up wonders in AoEIV are pretty cool, I don’t see why FE couldn’t draw inspiration from them. Not to mention FE has shown creativity isn’t an issue of theirs.

If say Persia is a part of a Middle Eastern DLC who is to say they won’t have their own culture set with unique age-ups and gameplay mechanics?

1 Like

People wouldnt see them as Asian civ then.

Well the Agra Fort has to be a wonder if India is a civ (and that too if its supposedly the mughals).

A fort wonder feels natural since Asian civs don’t have forts.

I think why Asian civs don’t get forts is a bigger issue since all three of the Asian civs we have were known to have heavily fortified military compounds. But thats a different topic.

No, AoE II has more civ potential as their civs are based on only a small amount of unique techs and units, while AoE III is focused around basically unique play style for every civ with unique mechanics. You can only do so many civs before you repeat yourself, which already happened and is still happening.

I would say like 2 more african civs and 1 asian civ is best to leave it at. There are already too many Euro civs, Malta was unnecessary in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m shocked that people still expect new DLC when all updates post-KOTM no longer featured a “New Civilization” listing in the “What’s on the Horizon?” section.

1 Like

they generally dont state that unless the new civ is 1 or 2 patches away. like it has to be pretty imminent before it gets put in the patch notes.

5 Likes

In theory, work is still being done on the game, hopefully soon they will give us information about the next patch. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like to think that the next patch will try to solve the problems that were mentioned in the topic of Next PUP?

Source.

1 Like

People are more concerned about if there will be more DLC, not that there won’t be more updates.

@Ekdal1378 Asia is pretty big and diverse, it’s certainly possible regions could have different mechanics too. All I’m saying is we assume Persia would need wonders and a consulate just because of their location but that might not be the case. Devs are creative enough to come up with something else if they so choose.

As long as the game continues to receive updates and the developers don’t directly say no more DLCs I think we can be optimistic. :slightly_smiling_face:

As I said before, I hope this compilation is not a statement of intent. :worried:

Instead of “Wonders”, they should have gone with more generic buildings. It would be much less constraining and also thematically much better. It’s ludicrous to be building the Taj Mahal on the frontiers of the new world.

Some options could be as follows:

• The Confucian Academy could be replaced by a Fireworks Workshop. It could even get an ability like the Royal Fireworks ability from the house of Hanover.
  • The Karni Mata could be replaced by a Stepwell. A well would be a better fit for something that gives a gathering aura.
  • The Agra Fort could be replaced by a more generic fort with elements from other Indian forts such as the Red Fort.

The consulate is probably the worst part of the Asian’s design. Everything it tries to do is done better by the African alliance system. Worst of all, it led to the neutering of the Asian’s domestic artillery (which was plentiful) to be replaced with hard to get European cannons. We should have a complete arsenal of Mughal artillery instead of a fake elephant cannon. Other systems such as something that emulates the Chinese tributary system would have been so much better.

3 Likes

What’s the point of replacing one fort with another? They are both unique buildings.

Neither Agra fort nor the red fort are generic buildings

The Indian fort can be named “Qila”.

This is also included in my suggestions to Asian civs.

2 Likes

While the DLC was shining on diversity and art, some areas where really lacking, like reusset assets for Malta, the European treasure models and the fauna, that are renamed Asian and American animals instead of using original proper animals.

6 Likes

That applies to AOE 2 DE, not to AOE 3 DE. AOE 3 DE’s latest civs such as the Italians and Malta are very unique nor do they overlap any of the older civs. The game is still far from reaching that point of redundancy and there are still lots of “asian” civs to be added from Persians to Siam.

3 Likes

Settler wagons and coureur des bois for everyone. Same for cassadors, lancers, uhlans, longbowman…

1 Like