Can I call this corruption? Genesis tournament and interests

My bad, I think I was not having the correct information and having me posting criticism does not mean I don’t want the game to succeed. First of all, as I have stated a lot of times, I really want the game to be a success. I want as many of us the game to become a hit to revive the RTS franchise.

Now my feeling and thoughts about the council were completely wrong, all this time though the council was formed by pro players and regarding this post (wich is misinformation and should be corrected) I thought councils would have granted early access to the game, and here we got 2 members of the council that already denied it.

And stop thinking a guy who criticizes a game is a villain… you are probably too young (I guess idk) to understand that criticism is needed. They asked for it, so I will keep doing it until I can tell there’s nothing to criticize.

My arguments had a sound logic behind them and I still havent seen anyone countering them except the argument from authority: you are not allowed to talk and make any assumptions about that.

2 Likes

He didn’t say you are not allowed to talk, he said he is not allowed to talk. You assume everything you hate about the game was because he suggested it and the dev team implemented it. All he said is that he is not allowed to talk about what he might have suggested and what he might not have suggested, but if you have looked at his history and his opinions of the game then I don’t understand how you can honestly think that accusing the council for the current state is logical.

Hello? Every other respected content creator was in a castle in Germany for Wololo and didn’t participate in the beta at all.

There are also like ~4 AoE content creators in total to begin with.

This post should be corrected, and I just realized you were a council member. It surprises me since you have been bringing great contributions with some common issues found in the game. I am sorry if I got to offend you, my bad, I think I won’t comment about the council anymore. All I can say is that Relic is the only responsible for whatever happens on October 28th.

5 Likes

The October 28th Incident ™

2 Likes

I am completely on board with criticism being necessary for any game or other product to be a success. I was making my own points of criticism early on as I have my own pain points with this game. But there is a line where criticism goes from helpful, to just cynicism and complaining. You and a few others have been on here at least since the stress test complaining about any little thing you can come up with and making multiple posts about the same issues, never budging on your original assumptions. While sometimes you offer ideas on how to solve it, often you don’t. And I don’t know about you specifically, but a few others on here just sit around here and bash the devs as lazy, incompetant, or worse. Its just not helpful and it makes the forum toxic.

I liked the game a lot, and I had the same complaints about the many things that have been discussed on here ad naseum for weeks. It would just be nice if I didn’t log in every day to see a new thread about the same complaint that we’re not going to know anything about until launch anyways. I ask myself why I even log in until the 28th, and I ask the same for many others :grinning:

4 Likes

Don’t worry guys… The community stream is happening this friday and I’m 100% sure devs will answer all our questions

HmmClueless

Or, at the very least, I hope I’m going to win those AoE4 branded sandals this time

!AGE4WARD

11 Likes

Thanks! I don’t know you that well (and I don’t know most people here very well). But I can assure you that we fought like hell for you all. Reasonable minds can disagree about game design, but I have yet to see many opinions about the game raised publicly that I did not see raised just as emphatically privately.

12 Likes

Since Community Managers aren’t allowed to answer questions on streams then who will and when?
We already know the game is “amazing” and everyone is very “proud of their involvment”, but we need more :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This.

Here’s my $0.02 on the topic. I wasn’t given access to the Preview myself, so I can’t play. I’m not participating in the tournament either, so I don’t have a dog in this fight. However, calling this “Corruption” is going too far my friend.

Giving early access to content creators to show the game to their audiences is a very normal practice. Content creators get good content with hype, and MS gets free marketing off of them. It’s a win-win. Not to mention that AoE4 desperately needs this, MORESO than the tournament.

The tournament coinciding with the marketing is irrelevant. Heck, the fact that this tournament is being organized this early directly means they just want to be the first to do it - which is perfectly fine. Expect a lot of one-sided stomps and weird outcomes. Nobody should expect anything serious from this tournament gameplay wise.

If you’re really that good of a player, you’ll be able to compete in the next tournament if you do poorly in this one, and win your share of the prize pool. 99% of the players writing about how unfair this is are, by the laws of statistics, not going to win the tournament anyway. If you’re complaining that this may have been your only shot at winning something because the meta’s not established… be realistic please. Even if it is true, one random player winning an inconsequential tournament is not worth hindering the marketing of AoE4 - especially since the marketing of this game has been poor up until now.

Mind you, I agree 100% that certain players definitely have an edge over others - and it is unfair. But it’s not intentional. You can’t ban those players because they were selected by Microsoft to market their product. It is what it is.

It’s also “unfair” that certain content creators who are inactive or have smaller audiences than mine get the preview access but not myself - but I don’t post about it here calling it corruption, because, just like everyone else, I am entitled to nothing. As I said, it is what it is. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

lol why even quote me if you’re not going to read what I wrote

Honestly, this issue seems to create a rift in this community more than the game itself. Frankly, by having an invitational tournament early after release for promotion, then a month or so in to have a truly open tournament, there would be no issue.

2 Likes

That would be valid if we were talking about a trully solid game. But we are actually talking about a game which is lacking in several departments and this is when the shill practice comes into play to help a company.

Here is one of the few examples of a youtuber/streamer with integrity calling a game for what it really is unlike 99% of the influencers who received earlier access to artificially praise the game before launch, a game which couldnt stand on its own.

You can watch from 2:50 to get the idea quickly.

I’m sorry most of you don’t have the experience to spot these kind of practices and how they are actually working.

3 Likes

If you ask the 500 participants who wouldn’t be invited to an invitational if they would rather reduce their chances of winning to 0% then they will so “fuck no.”

There WILL be plenty of tournaments going forward.

In the end I’m pretty sure Relic doesn’t care about the tournament (or what we think for that matter) but giving YouTuber / Streamer early access is just free marketing since they’ll be able to flood YouTube & co with “content” around release day.

And I’m pretty sure trying to sell this game (or most likely … gamepass subs) is all they care about.

2 Likes

Of course they are trying to sell the game, the shareholders are already keeping an eye. However, most of us players care about the quality and fairness.

3 Likes

DING DING DING, don’t you drag Mack into this drama >: |

I understand where you’re coming from, but participating in a tournament is not equal to somebody getting paid to tell you how awesome the game is and that you should buy it asap.
Shoot in the general direction of some of those burned out “game journalism” channels and you cannot hit the wrong person. But people just creating entertainment out of what is provided by a game and it’s community? Nah, m8. Wrong battle.

The tournament is basically a showmatch to get the community started. Many initial events are even made with direct invitations, so please don’t complain that much. 7k for the winner is basically a standard compensation for a promotional event in real life…

Besides, the tournament is likely to be won by a pro-gamer who was invited to receive Early Access in recognition to years of hard work (and the ability to promote the game in social media).

2 Likes

I was disappointed with this early access for a few seconds, but then I got over it. Why? Because I want the game to be a long-term success - and giving streamers and pros what they need to put content out there is a good way to help ensure that.

Yes it’s a little annoying because I wanted to tryhard AOE4, but I’m not too worried about some players (who are probably better than me anyway) having an advantage in a $20k tourney if decisions like these help ensure that there are many more $20k tournies (and bigger) in the future.

8 Likes

I suggest you to be more careful in your accusations.

I’m Lord_patito. Main and only admin of Genesis. And I feel I have to reply to this.

1. I learnt about players having the beta at the exact same time everyone else did.
  2. Neither I nor EGC have any power to give the beta to anyone. As a matter of fact, I don’t have access to it.
  3. we are far more concerned with this issue than the average player. For you it might represent a disadvantage to win a tournament. For me it represents a danger to my reputation as an admin.

So no. I don’t have any interest in giving the beta to anyone. In fact, i would preffer either noone or everyone to have it, since this whole matter is a great headache for me.

I’m not saying this is neither a good nor bad decision. I’m just saying you don’t have no right to call me corrupt based on a situation I had nothing to do with

24 Likes