Can I call this corruption? Genesis tournament and interests

A nuanced and measured response? how dare you

Thanks for addressing this issue straight-on. I can imagine itā€™s a huge challenge organizing a tournament for a game that isnā€™t even out yet, and dealing with all these unknown variables as they roll in.

Do you have a plan for how to proceed given this new information about certain players with early access to the game?

I do not have a horse in this race, and honestly it seems like thereā€™s no good decision. Either you proceed as planned and some players get an advantage, or disqualify any players with the early access advantage and potentially lose a chunk of your audience and disappoint influencers. Maybe a short delay would negate some of the advantages the early access players have?

Would love to hear your planned approach on this whenever youā€™re ready to discuss it.

Your tournament is critical in launching AoE4ā€™s competitive scene and I wish you all the best, and look forward to its success.

4 Likes

Only problem I see with this is I think it then butts up against the next AoE2 event (and maybe others I am unaware of).

Survival of the fittest my friend

Hello and thanks for hosting the first tournament, I can understand itā€™s a huge challenge, and now even more with things happening.

As players, we waiting for a decision coming from you to change the rules or delay the tournament.
Hope you find an answer and hope it not gonna be F*** I do what I want and donā€™t care.

Good luck

Thanks for your answer. Itā€™s a thought decision. Delaying it is not possible, since KotD 4.

We are Still considering ideas

4 Likes

Scam, changing sides cause u received da beta

6 Likes

Best of luck.

People who would accuse you and your team of corruption and intentionally setting up unfair advantages are an extremely small, frustrated minority. Like you said, thereā€™s nothing to gain through shady behavior and by giving some tournament players an advantage over others, but lots to lose. Iā€™m sure a majority of the community understands this and will support you, and not harm your reputation over it.

Looking forward to hearing your decision whenever it is sorted out.

8 Likes

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your comment

3 Likes

[mod hat on] I have a solemn duty to encourage players to use this forum to air their grievances about the franchise and its game. But I also have a solemn duty to uphold our code of conduct, which, in relevant part, states:

ā€œDonā€™t [ā€¦] Flame or attack fellow forum members. Discussion and heated debated are fine; name calling, personal attacks, and trolling (to name just a few) are not.ā€

Please everyone stop attacking others lest you leave me with no choice but to react.

2 Likes

You really think they wouldnā€™t give access to most well known members who are also have BIG FOLLOWEBASE so they could promote the game? They did same thing for definitive editions because even though Microsoftā€™s marketing has been bad they still do know they must be giving content creators access to prereleases. EGC has nothing to do with these choices. If these players cannot participate then tournament would be much less competitive.

1 Like

It is not corruption. It is marketing. They think if the ā€œtopā€ AOE streamers will start playing this game, somehow this game will sell more. But itā€™s a middle-finger move for the most part thoughā€¦I agree with you. I am lucky that I am not into the ā€˜e-sportsā€™ scene, nor do I have the interest to get into it.

1 Like

I sincerely do not believe their motives were anything other than giving their game the best possible launch. Providing access to content creators is a great way to get the content flowing fast. Please donā€™t infer malicious intent. These people care deeply about the community and the game.

6 Likes

What is the best possible launch really? 100 people having ā€œfunā€ (only because they will get paid and get some hardware for free and hopefully will promote the game pre-launch) while 1 million people wait to get their turn? No sir.

No malicious intent. I am saying what I see happening in front of me. Pre-order canceled. Game removed from wishlist. Sure they are not losing anything from 1 customer. But I am okay with the decision.

4 Likes

I dunno how to answer your question. I leave marketing to marketing people. I know this is a hot issue and that reasonable minds can disagree. I just feel compelled to remind everyone there are good natured human beings underneath these decisions. MS is a global force, but from my vantage tons of decisions are made at a much lower scale by real people.

Why not delay after KotD4?

Iā€™ll have a closer look. I havent read everything closely.