Catalog of proposals on minor factions/civilizations (AOE-3 BASIC + TWC + TAD)

So in this game we have:

1. Native American Settlement (American maps)
  2. African Kingdoms (African maps)
  3. Royal Houses (European maps)
  4. Holy Sites (multicontinental)

So what would you call the brand new Asian Minor Civilizations category???
Asian Dynasties? - such a name would fit the European and African Minor Civilizations and would also be a reference to the “The Asian Dynasties” DLC for the classic version of AoE 3.

1 Like

Sounds good?
But I want Ainus and I wouldn’t call them a dynasty. :laughing:

You can create a separate category of coastal Minor Civilizations. In this way, several brand new Minor Civilizations from the Caribbean, Oceania and other parts of the globe (including Ainu) could emerge.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a good point.

Ainu are in Asia though, so you’d be looking for a “Holy Site.”

In Wars of Liberty we were planning a “Kamuy Sanctuary” for them.

1 Like

I’m not, because holy sites are stereotypical and restrictive. My biggest problem with DE and WoL is both decided to keep holy sites as the only type of minor civ in Asia.

Asian civs should have never been laser-focused on religion and the fact people refuse to do anything different because nostalgia or balance or “they have religion” or whatever else really bothers me. DE didn’t even add more full civs from Asia.

Besides, most of the units the holy sites give aren’t even religious in nature, only the Sohei and (if you’re really generous) the Qizilbash, which wasn’t even added on TAD.

4 Likes

How about enclaves? I have heard that in Asia there are some enclaves.
Could it be a new category of minor civilization?

I have no idea what is an Enclave.

Vatican
San Marino
Lesotho

It’s like a country within a country, (Isn’t it?)

1 Like

Thank you for explaining. I guess that could work.

Also, I think at least some of the current holy sites could be renamed to something less religious. Like Punjabi/Sikh for Udasi. Someone suggested Rajputs for Bhakti when I suggested this.

I guess Sufi could become Qizilbash and the unit Qizilbash could become Qizilbash Rider.

2 Likes

Potential brand new Holy Sites:

1. Hussite Camp
  2. Protestant Settlement
  3. Orthodox Lavra
  4. Caucasian Monastery
  5. Catholic Basilica
  6. Shinto Shrine
  7. Theravada Temple
  8. European Muslim Mosque
  9. Gelug Temple
  10. Caucasian Mosque
  11. … etc.

They should just call them Minor Factions, with the regional Prefix added just to differentiate them (Asian Minor Faction, Americas Minor Faction, etc). That covers all bases - religious sites, native tribes, Royal houses, regional settlements, etc, without belittling the settlement as well as adding flexibiility for the future.

This opens up the possibility of having ‘Rebel/Revolutionary/Movement Camps’ (for example a Jacobite Camp or even a Rebel Peasant camp - representing many peasant uprisings, with cheap, farm-tool brandishing units,) and more interestingly Regional Mercenary Camps - Wokou encampments, Landsknecht camps, Condottiere companies, Imbangala Free Company camps, etc. Merc ‘settlements’ could even have a market-style inflation/deflation of merc price (the stock).

1 Like