Celts split: Welsh, Scots, Irish

I wanted to promote the idea of a Celts split, without intending this to be a priority over anything else or exclusive to them.

The Celts Civ is just one of those umbrella Civs that have much more entropy than they express. A split could bring that out, possibly with original ideas gameplay wise. There still is uncharted territory in that sense.

I’m not going to be specific about this, I don’t even need to, but there are a few ideas to work on. The split would be, as by title, Irish, Scots and Welsh.

Scots
Probably the Civ that could inherit the most from the Celts and be the free one for that reason. Below average cavalry and archery but inherits the siege bonuses and keeps a focus on infantry.

Surely has to feature Highlanders, maybe as a Two-Handed Swordsman replacement, with a charged attack. It’s actually a system pretty much like that of the Romans but with different stats, I suppose.

The UU could be a pikeman, since the Scots developed sound tactics with pikes, the issue though is the risk of overlapping with the Kamayuk.

An already made Civ concept:

Irish
The Irish could be the ones to inherit the wood gathering bonus and the one for the faster infantry. A difference could be having good Monks and a bonus for them. A sea bonus also? Faster moving Fishing Ships that double as small Transport Ships?

The Civ could represent the raiding and fighting amongst clans but should depict the figure of the High King and its authority.

For them I imagine making the Skirmisher a much more general unit, possibly substituting the Archer line altogether. Could be replaced by a unit, the Kern.

The UU could probably be the Woad Raider or something similar, localised. Still fast melee infantry.

Welsh
This is tricky since the Britons already take the famous Longbowman. But it’s not over yet.

The Welsh surely get the sheep :sheep: bonus from the Celts. Other than sheeps, the Welsh are clearly an archer civ, that knows how to use the terrain for quick attacks and holding their ground.

To reflect their archery, they might have a special treatment for the Archer. Instead of having the Crossbowman and Arbalester, they get staggered improvements to the Archer as a Civ bonus, maybe reinforced by an Unique Tech.

As a Unique Unit I was thinking of a heavy spear unit to defend the Archers and provide a good first line, with some use against buildings too.

5 Likes

People wanting insignificant kingdoms is getting annoying ffs

13 Likes

We just got Georgians and Armenians, talking about insignificant kingdoms. What the heck do you want? :pinched_fingers:

4 Likes

Civs in E. Asia and Africa? lol.

I don’t mind this tbh but even in Europe I think there are many bigger fish to fry than splitting Celts, and i’d probably rather see them left alone especially since they’re classic.

4 Likes

Even classics can get a twist every now and then. See the Persians, they were a classic, but changed a lot. Indians were around for quite a while and got split. It can be done.

2 Likes

Celts are a much more fun and interesting civ than old Persians and old Indians were a mess

1 Like

Yes, but i’d rather see Saracens & Slavs tweaked/modified before Celts tbh, especially since the inclusion of Welsh in this idea would require a modification to Britons too. Also in some campaigns Celts are used to represent Basque peoples, which makes sense but none of the new proposed civs would work in the same way.

Also this. Old Persians were blaaaaaaand as heck.

2 Likes

That’s true. Celts aren’t boring, that’s not the reason for a split. It’s a cultural matter and a chance to have new mechanics and quirks. Celts don’t really make much sense as they were conceived, as with many other original Civs. I’m highlighting a possibility here, there’s potential.

As stated, I’m not saying this should come before or after anything else. Personally they could come in whichever order, I would be fine.

No, not really. The Longbowman issue can be bypassed.

I don’t see that as an issue, in the campaign Civs have always been used as surrogates for absent ones.

2 Likes

Hey don’t forget the Bretons and the Galicians! They were also Celts! :clown_face:

3 Likes

Are they even real? :woozy_face: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

They were hardly insignificant. Georgia was the strongest kingdom in the region during the period where Constantinople briefly fell, and Armenia had a very strong cavalry force, and apparently the best archery force.

5 Likes

They sure don’t compare with the heavy weights. That’s not the topic though, I don’t consider any of these civs insignificant, I was just answering @Akoskaaa10 reprehensible comment.

1 Like

Akos was one of the people who practically laughed at me in the Dharma Expansion Discord for wanting to make a Caucasus-themed mod, so don’t be surprised.

They are not medieval.

I support a Celt split if only because of how poorly designed Celts are.

Wait how does this make sense? It’s not like Basques were Celts.

Poorly designed? Celts stand out for being barely been changed since 1.0a, because they’re fine.

I’m guessing Velk413 has confused Basques with nearby Galicians in NW Spain.

2 Likes

I mean they’re directly inspired by Braveheart, which is anything but historically accurate.

Also the devs seem to have conflated Scots, Gauls and Picts which is really weird.

1 Like

they should only rename Celt into Scot and change them. Welsh and Iris are redundant.

imo, they should remove woad raider because they are out of place and give them a new champion replacement called Gallowglas that mimic the woad raider stats with a +5 bonus vs siege. It goes LongSword → 2HandedSwordmen → Gallowglas

As for a new UU from castle, It should be a bombard canon unit with 7 range in castle age and 10 range with elite upgrade called Mons Meg. They have shorter range but come with more HP, more damage and slight larger aoe due to shorter range.

1 Like

Nobody wants brittany as a celts civi?

What Highlanders are you picturing? :thinking:

They’re poorly designed culturally/historically wise, not gameplay wise. They’re cool in that regard.

No, indeed, but that’s how it is in the Berbers campaign. In one of the missions the Basques are “impersonated” by the Celts.

That’s an option, but it has to be a free rework of the Celts. Also making a couple new Civs and some campaigns makes a DLC that can be sold! :money_mouth_face:

Regarding the Gallowglas I don’t think it belongs to the Scots, they were Gaelic mercenaries after all.

I’m don’t think they could quite cut it, like @Yevardian said. The Galicians for analogous reasons. They blend too much with their overlords in the Middle Ages.

Any order of release is good to me, I understand plenty of people would like to see east Asian or African or American new civs first, so I would let them have it.