Chat won't work and jam the game

It also affects naming scenarios. Make sure you name and save your scenario first so that you can simply save as next time.

I believe this may affect any typing scenario instructions too

1 Like

Yes, going to the Region & Language Settings and adding a new language (I choose Japanese) and I can use the chatbox normally in single player mode.

So then there appears to be an issue with the English language with the latest version of windows and the chatbox that causes it to freeze in the first place, and should ultimately be debugged and fixed since it’s technically still a bug.

However, at least there’s a workaround until the day Forgotten Empires’ developers issue a fix whenever they develop one.

1 Like

The “Install Japanese Keyboard” works. You can then simply switch between keyboards with Win + Space.

Note that you have to cycle the keyboards each new game :slight_smile:

This is a joke. I literally cannot talk to ANYONE because of this.

Microsoft is not actively updating or fixing this product as far as I can tell. The original developers have moved on to other products (they needed to keep their lights on and all).

It’s not rocket science that abandoning the franchise is going to hurt the future sales of Age 4. It is also hurting the reputation of Microsoft Game Studios. It should only take like 1 day to fix this bug.

3 Likes

I have updated my review of AoE:DE in the Microsoft Store based upon the game breaking chat bug and encourage everyone to do the same along with upvoting the feedback hub post here. Microsoft broke their own game and they should be held accountable,

During the weekly stream yesterday someone in the chat proposed playing a game with cheats. That will not happen again until they fix the chat bug because entering cheats during a weekly stream will showcase the chat bug and it will not look good for them.

2 Likes

SUPER EASY SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM:

Just pause the game with F3 and then DOUBLECLICK the chat icon (so do not use enter) type the cheat, press enter and then DOUBLECLICK again if you want to put in another cheat. Unpause the game and you see it will work!

yeah this is still happening and its a total disgrace. just remember for next releases. speak with your wallets, its the only language they know.
I will not change my keyboard language or mess with any shady settings. They should fix their game, not me.

Even trying the hint I proposed?

I went searching across the internet and found that @Kanye_TWest posted to /r/aoe last Saturday that the latest Windows Insider fast ring build at that time (17711) included a fix for “…an issue that could result in certain games hanging when typing into the chat window.”

I was curious and installed the latest insider build (17713) today and lo and behold the chat bug has been fixed. So you either have to install the latest insider build or wait until October when the next major Windows 10 update will be released. Easy peasy. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

As developer I would have resigned my duties way before October already due to such poor implementation of the Software as a Service principle by Microsoft corporation. Don’t chat nor cheat unless you are an insider. I do like chat less and cheat less games though. Lesson to be learned here. Never screw up things you sell yourself or for others.

Have you guys tried the Japanese keyboard fix? It still allows you to type English. Or does it not work in multiplayer? It’s worked fine for single player - enter works every time

I’m not sure if this works in multiplayer, but installing the Japanese Keyboard and using the Win + Space key to bring up a menu to switch to Japanese keyboard works in the single player at least. Usually pressing the Win key allows you to click back to the game.

The Japanese keyboard still types in English. Not sure why it allows chat to not lock up,.

1 Like

They are basically destroying their own franchise here lol. Not fixing this game is a huge mistake, even if it does lose you money. This will definitely have impact on sales of Age II DE and Age 4.

From what I heard, MS lost money on this game and don’t want to invest any more into it. I don’t really blame the dev team, I was in very close contact with them during development and I know they care a lot about the product and I am sure they would love nothing more than to continue working on this peroduct, but unfortunately for us and for themm developers don’t usually decide whether to continue working on a product or not. The devs did underestimate the work needed to fix a 20 year old code base that was quite messy and it provided much more of a challenge than they thought it would, hence they ran out of time. In hindsight, I think they put too much resources into making the game look great instead of making sure the game was actually stable enough.

1 Like

I have the same issue, when I try chat (lobby room or game) freeze, need change window with alt+tab to solve, this thing happen since win10 big update installed

Since thiis every game dropped

while update win10 ver 1803 got such this problem, but im not sure yet this week 1803 update had fix this issur ot not?

These are the steps to perform in order to work around this issue:

Install the Japanese language pack, by going to “Time & Language” or look for “Date & Time” from the Windows Search bar that will take you to the respective settings in Windows 10, and once there to the section “Region & Language” and click on “Add a language”:

Search for Japanese by typing it, select it and click Next:

On the next dialog window uncheck the option “Set as my Windows display language” and click Install:

You will be back in the section “Region & Language” where you will need to wait until the installation completes:

Now you can Open the game, once the game passed or skipped the introduction videos, you can press at any time the Windows key + Space key to switch from your current language to Japanese, this will allow you to use the Chat again without any issues; like before the Windows Update from April 2018.

The only step that you will need to perform next time you want to play this game will be pressing Windows key + Space key to switch from your current language to Japanese.

Apply these steps if:
-You do not want to wait for Microsoft to come up with the fix in October or someday if we are lucky.
-You do not want to use the other repetitive workarounds of pressing F3 and other steps every single time that you want to use the Chat.

I believe this workaround is more straightforward than the others available.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thank you! This works! Now I can use the chat again.

I’ve been passed this information on Twitter:

“The bug actually seems to have been fixed in a Windows insider build from a few weeks ago. https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17711/#ByMTBgpO6134UQ1w.97 … “We fixed an issue that could result in certain games hanging when typing into the chat window.” Just need to wait months for release 11.”

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17711/#ByMTBgpO6134UQ1w.97

So you just need to have patience and wait for this update to be rolled out. No idea how long that’ll take. It’s not specific to Age DE and is happening in multiple games.

If you work for Microsoft, please speak with the relevant team(s) and tell them that they need to fast-track this update because it breaks multiple products. Your corporation’s update rate for critical product-breaking bugs is ridiculously slow. You could distribute updates using floppies with U.S. Mail more quickly in the 80’s.

2 Likes

Unless the fix is also released in an upcoming cumulative update, most will not see the fix until sometime in October when the next major update to Windows 10 is planned to be released.

I have told you how to workaround this issue in a simple way!

Here it goes again:
(1) Pause the game with F3
(2) Click twice (like a double click) on the Chat ICON that appears on the top right part of the window.
(3) Type what you want in the chat box
(4) Unpause the game, it won’t crash…

If you wish to type a lot of messages just double click again on the chat icon on the top right position of the window and type your message.

This was the simplest way I could workaround as we wait for the final fix from Microsoft.

Hope you find it usefull!

Yes, however it is not a possible workaround for online game for exemple. Anyway if a fix is coming … guess it’s better late than never. Though i gave up on the game already.