Nobody from the devs reads these anyway, so might as well post my thoughts for fun:
- Military units no longer created 11% faster.
- Garland Wars changed from 450f 750g to 750f 450g.
I don’t think aztecs are that good, but since everyone seems to think so, there you have it, the faster producing units are gone. Also it’s nonsensical for a UT to cost so much gold and so little food, especially considering how gold-heavy the aztec composition is to begin with.
- No changes
- Skirmishers also deal +25% bonus damage.
Bohemians will always struggle against archer and in particular cavalry archer civs due to their poor cavalry and siege (the latter until imp), and even in imp they get destroyed by tatars/magyars/mongols.
- Konnik rate of fire reduced from 2.4 to 2.
It’s an alright civ, but konniks are too bad ever since the big post release nerfs. This should make them more consistent with other cavalry too, 2.4 attack speed is ridiculous.
- Burgundian Vineyards tech effect increased by 50%, cost increased by 200f to 600f 300g.
- Economic upgrades are 25% cheaper on the food, not 50%.
Post imp burgundians are straight up bad, only FU unit is halberdier. Vineyards are nice, but too slow to pay off, especially the gold cost. And the economy is too strong with too little investment.
Flemish revolution idk what to do about, it’s just a tough to balance tech.
- Manipur cavalry (cavalry +5 attack vs archers) is now the castle age UT
- Howdah (Battle elephant becomes siege ram) is now the imp UT
- Siege workshop units cost -25% gold. (kinda Nili’s suggestion)
The UTs are self explanatory, Burmese struggle against archers in late castle and early imp, not in late imp. The siege thing is idk, they just need some bonus to their military in the castle age.
- Greek fire adds +1 damage to all ranged units and buildings (like a chemistry). Cost increased from 250f 300g to 450f 300g.
They just need a better military that’s all. The devs don’t want them to have an eco bonus and that’s ok, but with a worse than usual military it’s just not going to work. If they have good backline units to dish out damage while their trash is cannon fodder on the front, I think they will find a lot more success.
- No changes
- Technologies now cost -5% in feudal, -10% in castle, -15% in imp.
There have been suggestions to reduce the starting vils count, but chinese are supposed to be a “tough to master” civ anyway, so maybe with gradual nerfs to everything else they have they will become more reasonable on open maps. On closed maps I’d argue they actually need buffs, I’d sprinkle in a siege engineers, but maybe it will be too much.
- Removed SWS and rams in feudal (bad idea to begin with, only good for cheese on BF/arena/hideout).
- Second TC builds in 200 seconds (down from 275 (the standard is 150 seconds))
The second TC is nice but sees too little play in 1v1s because of how long it takes to pay off, reducing the time to construct should make it easier to go for that strat, while not impacting the rest of their options. On closed maps there already are better booming civs (Khmer, Celts, Slavs to name a few)
- Also receive +100 wood when advancing.
This is to make it easier to add a blacksmith/university and actually make use of the powerspikes you are supposed to get, ethiopians largely are overrated.
- Berry bonus removed (yep, you saw that right)
They will have a more than solid win% without the 15% faster working foragers, I can assure you of that.
- +10 population in imperial age changed to +10 population available.
Should help their opening and early game options by saving that 50 wood and few seconds of early worker efficiency, we will see some creative strats, and it won’t push them over the top when it comes to their lategame capabilities.
- No changes
- Andean Sling increases skirmisher and slinger fire rate by 33% as well.
- Team bonus now is “Units move 10% faster while on farms”.
The UT is atrocious for it’s price and does basically nothing compared to the aztec and mayan UTs.
And the farm thing is a slight eco and defensive bonus to let them get to their castle age options easier.
- Shatagni also increases hand cannon accuracy to 100% (the old tech effect).
- Villagers now cost -5%, -10%, -15%, -20% in dark/feudal/castle/imp.
Indians have been overperforming for a while now (known not just thanks to the SOTL video), the villager discount should be toned down a bit to make them a bit slower in their age ups and boom.
And the shatagni change is… everyone likes hand cannons!
- Elite genoese crossbow +1 attack, +1 pierce armor (Elite Genoese Crossbows)
- Advancing to the next age costs -20%
Self explanatory, elite genbows are basically non elite genbows, and the cheaper age ups are nice, but could use some more.
- Kataparuto also affects onagers (fire 33% faster, they don’t get SO so it’s reasonable)
Great tech, very underused though due to… simply getting 3 trebs out being better. Should help with the poor lategame performance of japan, especially against archer and cav archer civs.
- Base farming speed reduced by 5%, the post-hand cart rate kept the same. ( 2021 Annual Farming Update - Now featuring Burgundians & Sicilians! (AoE2) - YouTube)
- Elite ballista elephant +1 attack, +1 range, +1 pierce armor, cost increased from 1000f 500g to 1000f 750g (final FU stats- 11 damage, 7 range, 8 pierce armor, compare it to an elephant archer and you will see it’s rather reasonable)
Khmer are an ok civ, but they have no good backline unit to supplement their hussars with, and ballista eles are too bad for their FU upgrade cost, with double crossbow and the elite upgrade. Ballista ele stacks aren’t even dangerous on BF because of how hard they die to siege onagers and how clunky they are.
As for the farming, it’s supposed to be a quality of life buff, not the best farming eco bonus in the game. Please.
- Free archer armors removed.
- Archery range units +1 pierce armor.
- Archery range upgrades cost -20%.
- War Wagon bonus damage against buildings removed.
Decent civ, war wagons are too oppressive early castle age though, as ranged units deal too little damage to them and they trade even against elite skirmishers. The armor and bonus upgrades should ensure they can’t be used to wipe someone off the map in TGs with just WWs.
- Tower shields also adds +1 melee armor (their halbs are just trash now, without blast furnace and last armor)
- Huntables and Herdables don’t rot.
Small early game eco bonus to help out with the food aspect of the civ, as both of their preferred openings are just outclassed by civs with better bonuses for them.
- Advancing to the next age happens twice as fast (from 66%).
I mean, that’s the only bonus that the civ has for the majority of games, might as well double down on it. An argument could be made that FI will be too strong with it, but we will see.
- The buildings cost -15% bonus now also applies to farms.
Was removed because back then malians had quite a lot, free gold shaft mining, had halberdier, gbetos were better. Now with the removed free gold mining they struggle early game a bit, so the discount applying to farms again is natural.
- Resources no longer last longer.
Sorry, it’s too strong. MAA without deer, drush FC with only 2 farms, practically don’t need horse collar, can sit on their main gold without branching out until imp with the archer discount.
- No changes
- Mahouts (30% faster war elephants) removed.
- Elite WE now have 0.8 base speed, from 0.6.
- Land military units now produce 15% faster (old aztec bonus).
Persians largely struggle on all non-hybrid maps due to how open in theory their tech tree is, but how little options they actually have. If they can mass more units, from all buildings, they should be able to go for their multiple options more freely.
- Gain access to last archer armor, halberdier.
- Szlachta Privileges now makes knights cost -33% food and gold instead of -60% gold.
- Light cavalry deals trample damage by default (not scouts, light cavalry, like mongols).
- Lechitic legacy new effect- cavalry units regenerate (same speed as berber camels, 30hp/min)
They still die to archer masses, and especially cavalry archer masses, so that’s what the last archer armor is for. Szlachta Privileges knights are waay too strong, and the cavaliers are… way too weak, without the last armor. The tech honestly is better fit for a gradual effect, like -30% in castle, -60% in imp, but that’s not how techs work anyway. It’s just tough to balance this whole thing, but we do know that poles need nerfs in some aspects and buffs in other aspects.
- Feitorias now occupy 3x3 space, cost -50% (125g 125s), HP is now 1500/1800/2100 in feudal/castle/imp. Build time unchanged (120 seconds). Available in the feudal age. New resource generation- 0.4f, 0.25w, 0.2g, 0.1s per second (It currently is 1.6f, 1w, 0.7g, 0.3s).
- Carrack now also doubles feitoria resource generation speed.
Portuguese don’t need a buff, they need a rework. An economical one. It’s also a reasonable change historically- Carrack - Wikipedia Carracks were trading ships, not military ones.
How this will impact the meta, well, let’s see.
- Monks and siege units now return 33% of their cost when killed.
- Madrasah removed.
- New tech- Grazing- 400f 200g, Cavalry and camel units generate gold at a speed of 1/20th of a relic. 60 cavalry units on the field is the same as having 3 relics.
Fun low eco civ to play, and probably should stay that way. Monk UTs are bad, end of discussion, and they need a bit of help to afford their gold-heavy composition in post imp anyway.
- No changes
Or at least I can’t think of any reasonable changes to a civ that some say is bad, some say its OP.
- Monks +3/+3 armor as a civ bonus.
- Barracks techs free (supplies, squires, arson).
- Orthodoxy effect and price changed: 600 food, 500 gold. Barracks and stable units +15% HP.
Underperforming and underused cavalry civ that in theory has the potential to compete with the top dogs, just not until it has better than average cavalier. Their infantry already is amazing, but we don’t see infantry enough, so I’m not sure how this will impact their infantry play. Also, it would require quite a lot of resources to fully upgrade, so it shouldn’t be something we see in 1v1s. These changes are primarily aimed at TGs, while the monk change is aimed at 1v1.
- Barracks, stable techs no longer cost gold (bloodlines, supplies, arson).
- Monks convert faster as civ bonus.
- New castle age UT- idk what name- units cost -15% food (including villagers).
Saw this idea somewhere on the forum, the bloodlines change should make for some interesting feudal play, and the barracks thing is just to make it a bit more global, as just bloodlines doesn’t cost gold is a bit too small. The monks thing is to keep the inquisition part, and the new UT is aimed at aiming their boom and lategame military options (all of them use food), while not being too strong earlygame, as it would be if it was a civ bonus.
- No changes
They seem fine honestly
- No changes
Teutons have been buffed a lot and have their spot in the 1v1 and TG meta, they hard counter some civs and die to others, but overall their open tech tree and good eco enables them to go for a lot of strategies.
- Removed gunpowder technologies cost -50% (it’s only relevant for BBT now anyway, and Turk BBT are notorious for being extremely obnoxious, slowing down the progression there won’t hurt them too much).
- Gold miners work 25% faster.
Turks probably need something else as well, but they are in a good spot in TGs, maybe even too good. Their post imp with huss/CA BBT BBC is strong in many situations, as is their fast imp, but their earlygame lacks behind. Idk how to make them more viable in 1v1.
- Conscription free from castle age onwards.
- Paper money removed.
- New imp UT: Lumberjacks no longer need to drop off resources.
- No changes
Their current state is fine
That should cover all the civs, post comments or your takes on the current civ balance