civTechTrees.json cannot be modded

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.44834.0 6148570
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

The new file widgetui/civTechTrees.json, which has been introduced, cannot be replaced by using a local mod.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur?

• 100% of the time (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Create a new folder named test in your local mod folder (Games/Age of Empires 2 DE//mods/local) and create a valid info.json file inside it
  2. Inside that test folder, create a widgetui folder
  3. Copy the widgetui/civTechTrees.json file from the game directory inside of that widgetui folder
  4. Edit this civTechTrees.json file, for example by fixing the Help String IDs from this bug
  5. Start the game and make sure that the new local mod is enabled
  6. Start a Skirmish lobby and open the tech tree

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The modifications in civTechTrees.json should be visible in the in-game tech tree, but they are not.
If I instead modify the civTechTrees.json file in the game directory directly, the changes are visible.

4 Likes

do you have the DLC?

yes I can confirm its not working for me either.

I do not. Is that even a relevant factor for this issue?

It’s not working for me either.

I have the DLC.

I thought it was, until AJLP88 said he has DLC.

icons of new DLC dont work for me unless its copied into my mod so there maybe something sinister behind it.

also @GMEvangelos pls tell them to add support for futuravailableunits.json too, it has been over 7 months since it came out and still no support for it in modding.

1 Like

+1

2 Likes

@StepS7578 Please take note these files are not working when placed in local mod folder:

• \widgetui\futuravailableunits.json

• \widgetui\civTechTrees.json

• \resources\en\strings\history\[civilization]-utf8.txt (s)

• \resources_common\drs\sounds\[civilization]_jingle.wem (s)

also please add modding support to these hard-coded things:

2 Likes

I can confirm, this we need these added

2 Likes

It’s been several months and this bug still not fixed!

Hey everyone,
this issue is now being tracked, thanks a lot for the report, hope you have a wonderful day with RBW5!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

With the November update, futuravailableunits.json and civTechTrees.json should now be moddable. We continue looking into expanding more items for modding.

4 Likes

for real? time to test it out!

can confirm both json now can be modded, thanks a lot man

hey bro, this bug is back now, please fix it :heartpulse:

hi @mwhds1997

Thanks for your comment, i was able to reproduce the regression and have updated the ticket :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still not fixed, so disappointed :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Any updates? Doubt it takes long to fix if it worked before :slight_smile:

1 Like

the post that mentioned futureavailabileunits.json and civTechTrees.json moddable was November 2021, and then it broke few months right after that.

It is now Jan 2023 and I seriously think their priorities on the xbox/controller play as well as Rome DLC sucked up all of the resources. We likely will not see a fix on this until Rome DLC is released, possibly for another 3 months minimum.

2 Likes