Day/Night cycle?

Will it have day/night cycles because i observed lights on wall towers.

11 Likes

It’s likely, wouldn’t be too dark though

4 Likes

Hopefully! Or at least sunrise to sunset cycles. Random weather would be cool, too – for aesthetic reasons; not so much to affect gameplay.

4 Likes

I really hope they can implement it! It’s since Warcraft 3 that I like that kind of design. Losing sight on night is something that make it more stategic.

#fingerCrossed

5 Likes

Yes, I also like the day/night cycle of Warcraft 3. As someone on Reddit posted, perhaps there’s even a season-effect. Like, for example, on normal speed, the game would follow:

0:00-1:00 = Day, Season 1
1:00-2:00 = Night, Season 1
2:00-3:00 = Day, Season 1
3:00-4:00 = Night, Season 1
4:00-5:00 = Day, Season 1
5:00-6:00 = Night, Season 1
6:00-7:00 = Day, Season 2
etc.
11:00-12:00 = Night, Season 2
12:00-13:00 = Day, Season 3
etc.

So you’d always start the game at day-time, but start at a random season.

Night-time:

• Visibility decreased by 3 tiles
  • Villagers stay at home (= no income. To offset this, they provide double income during the day).

Winter:

• Farmers don’t work. You can autotask them to help one of the other resources.
  • Depending on the map type, some water freezes

Spring:

• Farmers work, but provide no food. Each farmer has a “spring construction counter” that can go anywhere between 0% and 100%. This determines the yield of the summer harvest.

Summer:

• Farmer work and provide a lot of food.

Autumn:

• Farmer work, but provide no food. There is another “Fall construction counter” which can go anywhere between 0% and 100% and it determines the maximum value that the “spring construction counter” can achieve.

Obviously the food that you get is going to be centered around the summer. Therefore it is also important to keep livestock. One mill allows your villagers to herd up to 6 lifestock (they spawn up to 6). They spawn at a rate of one per day per mill, but they require an investment of 20 wood (similar to farm in that sense). The farms provide a better food/wood ratio, though.

Some civ’s religion could also have a seasonal difference. For example, Christian religions could have extra monk-power in Winter and Spring.

Or unique units like the Ninja could work extra effectively in the night.

Or maybe this would make the game slower, I don’t know.

1 Like

The brainstormed suggestions listed get a little too much like a simulation for my tastes.

2 Likes

Yeah it might be simple, something like a production/move speed modifier:

• Winter - 75% production/move speed
  • Spring - 100% production/move speed
  • Summer - 125% production and 75% move speed
  • Autumn - 100% production/move speed

Something automated and not too complex to understand

1 Like

I would love a weather system and when it rains some parts of the terrain become muddy and the units move slowly in those areas

If it were to be like the effects of seasons some are saying i rather it would be like Knights and Merchants that the whole village works like the gears on a clock
Like you build a farm and make a farmer a villager bring wheat to a pig farm after some time it slaughter the pig the villager bring the pig to the butcher that makes sausage and bring as food to the village IF it is going to on that complexity…

To Me

Day: Normal Move

Night: All units Half vision(without certain upgrade) Infantry -10% Mov Speed, Cavalry -30% Mov Speed(since a horse could stumble break a leg and the rider need to sacrifice so it is a quite a light punishment)

Rain: All units -20% reduced visibility and -20% movement speed

Snow: All units -40% movement speed

And terrain specific like rocky, swamp(to these examples i keep remembering the 100 year war that the English king used a mire to slow down the french cavalry)

Or something like that

2 Likes

I like the rain and snow debuff. Though I’d argue that the snow would provide +20% visibility.

1 Like

Debuffing speed is no point to me or we get units slowed most of the time. About vision I said that too but not sure how much %. Is not 50% too much?

I would say 10% reduction on speed. No visibility reduction.

Snow it might be part of Winter season (perma snow). So I’m more addicted to what I said earlier:

I would like to not see handicap or bonus goes more than a -25% or +25%. To me this is a fair limit. We do not have to sim a medieval age - it’s still an arcade game.

1 Units always got slowed…and it is night you are supposed to ambush enemies and not move at night or at least move on your own territory what i want is the battles to feel organic not a fight of rock, paper and scissor

1.2 On truth it complements with other things i think it should have like forced march that makes your troops walk faster but exhausts them

2 Rain creates mud make pieces of land fall makes surfaces slippery and easier to stumble and the water drops fall your eyes and is noisy so you can’t hear very well i translate both as loss of vision since you can’t hear enemies on the fog of war i think that those debuff are small…

1 Like

I’m wondering if we are trying to get an AoE or a game that looks more realistc and accurate as possible. Personally I want an AoE easy peasy to spam buildings and units so in this case the rain should slow everyone and should cover the whole map, at the same time it has to be a soft handicap so not much % speed reduction. The game has to be fast and not complex. Max realiasm slow down the games and make it booring/tedious that’s why all those slowmode rts failed compared to others. We do not have to simulate battles.

Because AOE didn’t have that at the first ones because of Technology at the time…
And it is a Strategy game not a crossword game that comes with the newspaper

I don’t want a rock, paper and scissor i want my brain to be useful more then let’s rush enemy base or rush ages…

1 Like

while AOE has rock,paper scissor element theres more going on then just that however this isn’t a game of realism…seeing this post and your post on the other thread…what DO you like about this series? lol

You understand it was late 90’s to early 00’s we simply had very few options all games were limited and i was a teenager at the time everything was good for the time it was great…now even some new campaigns i am just using skirmisher and pikemen you either step up your game or die yet again sometimes more is less, less is more but most of the time less is less

Now only the pvp have something interesting even on 3 that i would spam Gendarmes and i think only the Germans were an actual challenge because of some massive spearman bonus

1 Like

That’s not true there were games that were more complex or that simulate the medieval age. Those games sucked hard compared to age because people prefer easy peasy. This allowed AoE to be a main stream game. In AoE you can build many things in few mins and you can start recruit waves of troops conscious that you can end the game fast. The longevity of the games is given by the skill of the players.

Well if you consider AoE1-2 like “rock, paper and scissor” I do not get what you are doing here :thinking:

It’s like someone who do not like Civilization 6 going in the insider forum of Civ7 and suggesting to change the game because you do not like it or you do not like it’s feature or the way those works. Each game has its peculiarities, AoE is more like simplicity, constructions, waves of troops and sieges. The more complex the game become the less people will play it. It’s should be stay close as possible to AoE1-2 mechanincs.

They said that they are gonna make the game similar to AoE2 so there goes my hopes in addition they said that they are not gonna make a game to make everyone happy there will be people who will dislike the game but this is the life. And that might be me or you who knows, it’s up to them and the game they are developing. I don’t want to go too far until I try it.

I think small debuffs like -10% speed and -/+ 1 visibility does not hamper the game experience for most people, while at high level it can give that little extra: attack at the unexpected location during rainfall.

I do agree it should cover the whole map.
It can even be something like:
Day = Regular stats
Night = Darker (-2 visibility)
Summer = no rain
Fall = 50% chance rain per day/night (-10% movement, -1 visibility)
Winter = Always snow (-20% movement, +2 visibility), certain water freeze
Spring = no rain

It does add for cool stories like “Oh, I should’ve never attacked during the winter, you saw me coming from a mile away!”.

3 Likes

And we all saw how those games went EE is gone, AOE was gone, Starcraft one game every 20 years

Same as before you are defending a dying genre because of nostalgia

I explained my point of view here if you fancy take a look